Jewish Gen

  • Diana Boggs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2007
      What is really sad is that Germany/Hitler saved their worst crimes for the Hungarians who were previously allies. When they started deporting Magyars, Germany already knew they had lost the war. Matters in Europe were already bad enough with losing their men who could have reproduced later in WWI. Unfortunately, it seemed few were done with the fighting from that war and I have read pieces that make that reference.

      The Germans also packed up something called the Gold Train in Budapest which carried many of Hungarian treasures in museums, etc. The train itself was intercepted by US forces. It wasn't until 1976 when then President Jimmy Carter gave the crown back to Hungary.

      I have a book about the Gold Train, but would like to know more.

      Diana

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2007
        There is much European material available, much of it is written in other
        languages. Really, only a small set of knowledge has been written in
        English. Thus the challenge, if you are up to it and serious about it, to
        translate/read books, websites, etc. written in other countries. This is
        why mastery of a foreign language is so essential if you are doing graduate
        work in history.

        Bill

        What is really sad is that Germany/Hitler saved their worst crimes for the
        Hungarians who were previously allies. When they started deporting Magyars,
        Germany already knew they had lost the war. Matters in Europe were already
        bad enough with losing their men who could have reproduced later in WWI.
        Unfortunately, it seemed few were done with the fighting from that war and I
        have read pieces that make that reference.

        The Germans also packed up something called the Gold Train in Budapest
        which carried many of Hungarian treasures in museums, etc. The train itself
        was intercepted by US forces. It wasn't until 1976 when then President Jimmy
        Carter gave the crown back to Hungary.

        I have a book about the Gold Train, but would like to know more.

        Diana

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Diana Boggs
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
          Yes, I have already discovered I am at a great handicap by researching without being able to speak/read Hungarian/Czech, etc. Particularly true with Vizsla dog pedigrees. Names of owners suddenly become part of dog name because transcribers mistakenly copy incorrect names. Then...."Champion" means Gyoztes and for awhile I thought that word was a kennel name. Without help from a knowledgeable translator, I would have made many more mistakes than I have. God help those dog breeders who live with a translated "Breed Standard" originating from a foreign country. Our breed Standard has had several discrepancies, printed and had breeders mistakenly bred for an incorrect color, that later becomes mainstream and more accepted. ;-((

          Diana