Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • Fred Corbett
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
      You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
      verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
      spelled different from what you expected.

      Fred

      Eric Haas wrote:

      > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
      >
      > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
      > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
      > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
      > > security number to find out more information about her?
      >
      > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
      > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

      > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
      > experiments.
    • Kathleen Duvall
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
        > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
        > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
        > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
        > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
        > connection! Anita B.>

        Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
        population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
        Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

        Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
        the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
        card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
        she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
        were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
        work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

        I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
        then (1911 and on)?

        I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
        wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
        a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
        security number to find out more information about her?

        Thanks so much!

        Kathleen in Florida
        researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
      • Eric Haas
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
          Kathleen Duvall wrote:

          > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
          > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
          > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
          > security number to find out more information about her?

          With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
          application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
            wrote:
            > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
            live just
            > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
            anything I
            > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
            only been on
            > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
            Pittsburgh
            > > connection! Anita B.>
            >
            > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
            > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
            > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
            >
            > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
            in
            > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
            Security
            > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
            assumed
            > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
            women
            > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
            > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
            >
            > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
            > then (1911 and on)?
            >
            > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
            > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
            did have
            > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
            social
            > security number to find out more information about her?
            >
            > Thanks so much!
            >
            > Kathleen in Florida
            > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

            Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
            5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

            http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
            0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
            23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

            59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

            http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
            &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
            =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

            Social Security began in 1937.
            If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
            applied for her death benefit payments.

            You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
            The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
            entered from the SSDI information.
            The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
            origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

            Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

            =>
            1.Certificate of Arrival
            (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
            about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
            individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
            port of entry upon arrival)

            2.Declaration of Intention
            (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
            of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
            foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
            embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

            3.Petition for Naturalization
            (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
            names of two witnesses)

            4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
            (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
            items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
            souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

            Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
            her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
            if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
            to wait until after 21st birthday.
            Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

            Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
            Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
            Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
            Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
            were already living.

            No green cards back then.