Re: [S-R] Another Possible Source - Jewishgen

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hi Bill:

      Here is a recent story about the Vienna archives and overlooked holocaust
      records:

      _http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/04/arts/archive.php_
      (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/04/arts/archive.php)

      The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. is working in
      conjunction with the Vienna archives and the two archives are in the process of
      microfilming approximately 1.5 million documents:

      _http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/05/AR20070605012
      87.html_
      (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/05/AR2007060501287.html)

      I recently saw a television broadcast where holocaust archival records were
      recently opened up to researchers who were searching for family records
      relating to the holocaust. I believe, but am not sure, that these records were the
      ones in the Vienna archives.

      I wish you and everyone a Happy July 4th!

      Best regards,

      David

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
        Bill:

        I recently met an author here in Chicago who's mother
        is a survivor -- she's actually got PTSD and he wrote
        a book about her which he's trying to make into a
        documentary -- anyhow, after a recent book signing I
        attended, someone in the audience asked him about his
        religion -- and whether he was a practicing jew.

        He thought about his answer for a little while -- then
        he said -- honestly, being jewish was never part of
        his life -- his parents never went to temple and he
        and his family do not now go. His answer to the
        question of course prompted others to conclude that
        yes, indeed, the plan had succeeded.

        Quite interesting -- and I think he could tell where
        that question was going to lead -- hence his
        hesitation and thought before answering.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
          Janet,
          Yes, I understand that. My message is that I had presumed the
          Jewishgen lists strictly contained names of Jews.
          Bill

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

          > Bill:
          >

          > Jews were not Hitler's only target. I have read of his particular
          desire to
          > eventually exterminate all Poles and Hungarians. There were undoubtedly
          > other groups on his list-basically anyone who was not Aryan, however he
          > chose to define that.
          >

          > Janet

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
            David, are you referring to the recent 60-Minutes
            broadcast? Those records are in Germany. Excellent
            report.

            Caye

            http://sims.yahoo.com/
          • jump4toys@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
              Those records are the BAD AROLSON records in Germany. They were kept by the
              Nazis. THey're meticulous, but they will not be released to the public as
              of yet due to politics and I think they will eventually be put online and
              copied. So far, they're just starting to open up the archives, but it's not
              available to the public.
              DAniel

              David, are you referring to the recent 60-Minutes
              broadcast? Those records are in Germany. Excellent
              report.

              Caye

            • Janet Kozlay

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                  Hi Caye:

                  Yes, it was the 60 Minutes report. Thank you for jogging my memory.

                  Best regards,

                  David

                • Edie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Yes, I've read the same. That Hitler targeted anyone he saw as a "threat", any Christian group, Catholics, handicapped, etc. Anyone who didn't measure up to his standards, including Jewish people. There were many Catholics and Protestants who stood up to the Nazis protesting their regime and died in concentration camps also.
                    Edith Sando

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Although there were maybe 11 Million people murdered by Hitler and his
                      Nazis, let's make this very clear that Hitler's intent was to elliminate the
                      Jewish people, to erase them. That was his "final Solution." Hitler didn't
                      target just anyone ...but along the way he killed and put in concentration camps
                      any other people standing in his way or who he deemed unfit for his master
                      Aryan race. This wasn't a plan to target Christians, Catholics, etc...and
                      "including" the Jewish people. This was a plan against the Jews.
                      Contrary to Hitlers master plan, THe Nazis and Hitler are gone....and the
                      Jews still survive and are here strong and believing.