Another Possible Source - Jewishgen

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
      I was sifting through the www.jewishgen.org database of Holocaust
      survivors last night, looking for entries that cite my ancestral villages
      and environs. In the process, I made an intriguing discovery.

      I have found a number of surnames from these villages on deportation,
      survivor and concentration lists that until now I've always assumed were
      Christian. These surnames are found in Greek Catholic baptism, marriage
      and death church books for hundreds of years.

      I can only imagine two possibilities.
      1. They had converted.
      2. They were Christians who had been caught up in the pogrom and deported
      for supporting Jews.

      Either case of course certainly occurred. What I find interesting is that
      these names do appear in the Jewishgen databases. It leads me to conclude
      that I cannot ignore the Holocaust lists, even though my research is
      historically Christian.

      It will take some time to see if I can link these individuals to village
      trees I am compiling.

      Am I missing other possibilities? You thoughts or comments?
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
        Bill:

        I'm voting for converted, lots of jews tried to pass
        (or gave their children to Christian homes to get them
        to pass) as christians during the war -- but I'm
        curious to hear what others have to say on this.
        Jewish Gen is a great site.

        Caye

        > I was sifting through the www.jewishgen.org database
        > of Holocaust
        > survivors last night, looking for entries that cite
        > my ancestral villages
        > and environs. In the process, I made an intriguing
        > discovery.
        >
        > I have found a number of surnames from these
        > villages on deportation,
        > survivor and concentration lists that until now I've
        > always assumed were
        > Christian. These surnames are found in Greek
        > Catholic baptism, marriage
        > and death church books for hundreds of years.
        >
        > I can only imagine two possibilities.
        > 1. They had converted.
        > 2. They were Christians who had been caught up in
        > the pogrom and deported
        > for supporting Jews.
        >
        > Either case of course certainly occurred. What I
        > find interesting is that
        > these names do appear in the Jewishgen databases.
        > It leads me to conclude
        > that I cannot ignore the Holocaust lists, even
        > though my research is
        > historically Christian.
        >
        > It will take some time to see if I can link these
        > individuals to village
        > trees I am compiling.
        >
        > Am I missing other possibilities? You thoughts or
        > comments?

        Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
          Caye, That's actually a possibility I had not considered. I was thinking
          of Christian to Jewish conversion. Either way, they got you.

          Bill

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
            Hi Bill:

            Here is a recent story about the Vienna archives and overlooked holocaust
            records:

            _http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/04/arts/archive.php_
            (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/04/arts/archive.php)

            The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. is working in
            conjunction with the Vienna archives and the two archives are in the process of
            microfilming approximately 1.5 million documents:

            _http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/05/AR20070605012
            87.html_
            (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/05/AR2007060501287.html)

            I recently saw a television broadcast where holocaust archival records were
            recently opened up to researchers who were searching for family records
            relating to the holocaust. I believe, but am not sure, that these records were the
            ones in the Vienna archives.

            I wish you and everyone a Happy July 4th!

            Best regards,

            David

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
              Bill:

              I recently met an author here in Chicago who's mother
              is a survivor -- she's actually got PTSD and he wrote
              a book about her which he's trying to make into a
              documentary -- anyhow, after a recent book signing I
              attended, someone in the audience asked him about his
              religion -- and whether he was a practicing jew.

              He thought about his answer for a little while -- then
              he said -- honestly, being jewish was never part of
              his life -- his parents never went to temple and he
              and his family do not now go. His answer to the
              question of course prompted others to conclude that
              yes, indeed, the plan had succeeded.

              Quite interesting -- and I think he could tell where
              that question was going to lead -- hence his
              hesitation and thought before answering.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                Janet,
                Yes, I understand that. My message is that I had presumed the
                Jewishgen lists strictly contained names of Jews.
                Bill

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

                > Bill:
                >

                > Jews were not Hitler's only target. I have read of his particular
                desire to
                > eventually exterminate all Poles and Hungarians. There were undoubtedly
                > other groups on his list-basically anyone who was not Aryan, however he
                > chose to define that.
                >

                > Janet

              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                  David, are you referring to the recent 60-Minutes
                  broadcast? Those records are in Germany. Excellent
                  report.

                  Caye

                  http://sims.yahoo.com/
                • jump4toys@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Those records are the BAD AROLSON records in Germany. They were kept by the
                    Nazis. THey're meticulous, but they will not be released to the public as
                    of yet due to politics and I think they will eventually be put online and
                    copied. So far, they're just starting to open up the archives, but it's not
                    available to the public.
                    DAniel

                    David, are you referring to the recent 60-Minutes
                    broadcast? Those records are in Germany. Excellent
                    report.

                    Caye

                  • Janet Kozlay

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                        Hi Caye:

                        Yes, it was the 60 Minutes report. Thank you for jogging my memory.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                      • Edie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 3, 2007
                          Yes, I've read the same. That Hitler targeted anyone he saw as a "threat", any Christian group, Catholics, handicapped, etc. Anyone who didn't measure up to his standards, including Jewish people. There were many Catholics and Protestants who stood up to the Nazis protesting their regime and died in concentration camps also.
                          Edith Sando

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 4, 2007
                            Although there were maybe 11 Million people murdered by Hitler and his
                            Nazis, let's make this very clear that Hitler's intent was to elliminate the
                            Jewish people, to erase them. That was his "final Solution." Hitler didn't
                            target just anyone ...but along the way he killed and put in concentration camps
                            any other people standing in his way or who he deemed unfit for his master
                            Aryan race. This wasn't a plan to target Christians, Catholics, etc...and
                            "including" the Jewish people. This was a plan against the Jews.
                            Contrary to Hitlers master plan, THe Nazis and Hitler are gone....and the
                            Jews still survive and are here strong and believing.