Re: [S-R] Hungarian Ethnography

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
      Janet,

      Thank you for answering my question with this information plus some of your
      family's history. As you may have gathered, in my research I have a
      discovered few issues to resolve, thus an understanding of the society, time and place
      in which my ancestors lived is of much importance. My best to you and all on
      the list who have so generously offered their help.

      Eugene Klodzen

      In a message dated 7/1/2007 10:31:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      kozlay@... writes:

      My readings have suggested that the godparents, and especially the
      godmother, play a significant role in the lives of their godchildren and are
      important figures at christening, confirmation, and wedding of their
      godchild, as well as the funeral if the godchild should die. They may even
      be responsible for organizing these events and always give gifts on these
      and other occasions. I do not see, however, that they took the
      responsibility of raising the children if they were orphaned. This job was
      most likely taken on by relatives.

      The memoirs of my husband's great-grandfather, from the mid 1800s, portray a
      very close relationship with his godparents. On one occasion he wrote a song
      in honor of his godmother that he performed for her at her name day party.

      A female cousin's godfather was Count Leopold Andrassy, the ruling landlord
      in the village, and she was named Leopoldina in his honor. Her father, the
      village Lutheran priest, died when she was an infant, and I have wondered if
      her godfather provided any financial assistance to her and her mother. They
      moved back to the mother's "home town," but my impression is that they were
      relatively well off financially. In contrast, another female relative was
      left with three small children when her husband committed suicide. In that
      instance, the godfather was a teacher. There was obviously no help there,
      and the family became completely destitute.

      Janet