Re: [S-R] Cousins Visiting

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2007
      Caye and Ron,
      Many of us have friends or "cousins" who might like to come
      for a visit and so I would also like to hear more on this topic.
      I will be particularly interested to hear what Ron's Senator or
      Congressman have to say about the situation.
      R/Bill

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

      > Others probably know much more about this than I;
      > however, when I was there last summer, my cousin's
      > mother mentioned that college students tended to get
      > visas the most easily. Also, my cousins used an
      > agency that handled all the leg-work -- although they
      > did have to go to Bratislava for issuance of the visa.
      >
      > I think maybe (maybe, guessing here) if they are
      > currently enrolled in a university, the chance that
      > they will defect to America might be less -- and the
      > benefits of their degreed young adults knowing English
      > and American Commerce would be a plus to the Slovak
      > Economy. Only a guess -- I look forward to hearing
      > more on this topic.
      >

      > Caye
      >

      > --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Now that the topic of visiting cousins came up, I
      > > will say I SHOULD be
      > > hosting a cousin this summer, but the US Embassy in
      > > Bratislava had
      > > other ideas. I was visiting in Slovakia at
      > > Christmas and agreed with
      > > one family to host the 17 year old daughter this
      > > summer. Funding,
      > > insurance, round trip tickets, letter of invitation,
      > > guarantees,
      > > school time and parental permission were all
      > > arranged.
      > >
      > > Then she and her dad went to Bratislava for the
      > > interview and her visa
      > > was denied. No reason was given. I think it
      > > stinks. I asked my
      > > Senators to look into it and I am still waiting for
      > > an answer.
      > >
      > > Do US citizens have a 'right' to travel abroad, yet
      > > we cannot invite
      > > visitors to this country?
      > > Is the US so afraid of a 17 year old, what she may
      > > do or see?
      > >
      > > I have worked for the Federal government and know
      > > how arbitrary its
      > > burro-crats can be, but this is beyond all reason.
      > >
      > > Ron
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
      > > <ccaswick@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Any time Margo.
      > > >
      > > > I have one cousin here for the summer -- she's
      > > been
      > > > with me 2 weeks today and we're celebrating her
      > > > birthday on Sunday with my sister and her kids --
      > > > PIZZA -- which she loves.
      > > >
      > > > Anyone else out there hosting Slovak family or
      > > friends
      > > > this summer?
      > > >

      > > > Caye

      > Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security
      of spyware protection.
      > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/norton/index.php

    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2007
        The issue of visas is a sensitive one for some Slovaks. They are not pleased that Americans do not need a visa to travel to Slovakia, but Slovaks do need a visa to travel to the US (especially now that Slovakia ia a part of the EU).

        In the past 4 years, I have hosted 8 Slovaks for 5 visits of 7-15 days. All had visas. One commented that he knew that some people had trouble getting visas because they had not presented their cases well, in his opinion. (I don't recall the details.) These groups of visitors were 4 middle aged businessmen, the wife, aunt and 2 teen sons of one of them. All but 2 of the businessmen had relatives to visit here.

        Margo

        --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

        > Now that the topic of visiting cousins came up, I
        > will say I SHOULD be
        > hosting a cousin this summer, but the US Embassy in
        > Bratislava had
        > other ideas. I was visiting in Slovakia at
        > Christmas and agreed with
        > one family to host the 17 year old daughter this
        > summer. Funding,
        > insurance, round trip tickets, letter of invitation,
        > guarantees,
        > school time and parental permission were all
        > arranged.
        >
        > Then she and her dad went to Bratislava for the
        > interview and her visa
        > was denied. No reason was given. I think it
        > stinks. I asked my
        > Senators to look into it and I am still waiting for
        > an answer.
        >
        > Do US citizens have a 'right' to travel abroad, yet
        > we cannot invite
        > visitors to this country?
        > Is the US so afraid of a 17 year old, what she may
        > do or see?
        >
        > I have worked for the Federal government and know
        > how arbitrary its
        > burro-crats can be, but this is beyond all reason.
        >
        > Ron
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick
        > <ccaswick@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Any time Margo.
        > >
        > > I have one cousin here for the summer -- she's
        > been
        > > with me 2 weeks today and we're celebrating her
        > > birthday on Sunday with my sister and her kids --
        > > PIZZA -- which she loves.
        > >
        > > Anyone else out there hosting Slovak family or
        > friends
        > > this summer?
        > >

        > > Caye

      • James McGrath
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 5, 2007
          I have more experience with Romanians visiting than
          Slovaks, but the same basic principles apply. Lots of
          people come to the U.S. and then don't return.
          Particularly when someone doesn't have a strong reason
          to return - finished high school, not in the midst of
          a college program, no work, property or family
          responsibilities - all that counts against someone.

          Those who come on visitor visas and then stay spoil
          things for a lot of other people. :(

          James

          --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:

          > Now that the topic of visiting cousins came up, I
          > will say I SHOULD be
          > hosting a cousin this summer, but the US Embassy in
          > Bratislava had
          > other ideas. I was visiting in Slovakia at
          > Christmas and agreed with
          > one family to host the 17 year old daughter this
          > summer. Funding,
          > insurance, round trip tickets, letter of invitation,
          > guarantees,
          > school time and parental permission were all
          > arranged.
          >
          > Then she and her dad went to Bratislava for the
          > interview and her visa
          > was denied. No reason was given. I think it
          > stinks. I asked my
          > Senators to look into it and I am still waiting for
          > an answer.
          >
          > Do US citizens have a 'right' to travel abroad, yet
          > we cannot invite
          > visitors to this country?
          > Is the US so afraid of a 17 year old, what she may
          > do or see?
          >
          > I have worked for the Federal government and know
          > how arbitrary its
          > burro-crats can be, but this is beyond all reason.
          >
          > Ron

          http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 6, 2007
            I can see why they don't return -- my cousin was so
            awe-struck by the grocery store -- she nearly burst
            into tears -- we have an obscene amount of things
            available here -- it's totally disgusting really.

            She even mentioned to me that she loves it so much
            here that she will have a hard time going home in
            September -- even though she knows not returning would
            break her mother's heart.

            Pray for me that I don't have to hog-tie her and chuck
            her on that plane -- lol, good thing I weigh a lot
            more and am determined.

            ;-D
            Caye

            http://tv.yahoo.com/
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 6, 2007
              Caye,

              You reminded me of my experience in 1993/94. I spent a year in Latvia
              and Lithuania working on US embassies. We rented apartments and lived
              on the economy. My few words of Slovak were enough to assure I would
              survive - pivo a chleb (beer and bread) among them.

              This was shortly after communism fell and the stores still had a
              meager selection of offerings, and foods were still seasonal and
              somewhat limited. Even so, life was quite good for us "rich
              westerners" who could afford products when the local monthly wage was
              around $30. The variety and quality of some things like pickles and
              other farm / home made products put ours limited variety in the west
              to shame. We may have 8 to 20 brands, but the taste and quality is
              homogenized and bland.

              After a year living over there I returned to the west (Western Europe
              and the USA) and for about three months would sometimes be struck
              still in a grocery store, baffled by the full shelves, the excess of
              variety of brands and types of foods. Several times I had store
              workers come to me and ask if I needed some help as i stood there
              stunned. After three months that stopped happening, but then and for
              a full year after I could be in any every-day situation in America and
              all of a sudden look at my surroundings and wonder at the quality - of
              the lighting, the carpet, the fresh paint on the walls, or any other
              common quality item we never think twice about.

              I hesitate to put this out in public because this simple observation
              should NOT be take and overly critical of what I did experience. It
              was a great year and I am very happy to have lived it. We have our
              major problems in the west, and I also came back with an appreciation
              for their views on our materialism and our decadence.

              As good as our material life is in the USA I have had only one family
              out of many I know in several countries express an interest in moving
              to the US.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

              > I can see why they don't return -- my cousin was so
              > awe-struck by the grocery store -- she nearly burst
              > into tears -- we have an obscene amount of things
              > available here -- it's totally disgusting really.
              >
              > She even mentioned to me that she loves it so much
              > here that she will have a hard time going home in
              > September -- even though she knows not returning would
              > break her mother's heart.
              >
              > Pray for me that I don't have to hog-tie her and chuck
              > her on that plane -- lol, good thing I weigh a lot
              > more and am determined.
              >
              > ;-D
              > Caye
              >

              > --- James McGrath <jamesfrankmcgrath@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I have more experience with Romanians visiting than
              > > Slovaks, but the same basic principles apply. Lots
              > > of
              > > people come to the U.S. and then don't return.
              > > Particularly when someone doesn't have a strong
              > > reason
              > > to return - finished high school, not in the midst
              > > of
              > > a college program, no work, property or family
              > > responsibilities - all that counts against someone.
              > >
              > > Those who come on visitor visas and then stay spoil
              > > things for a lot of other people. :(
              > >
              > > James
              > >

              > > --- amiak27 <rmat@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Now that the topic of visiting cousins came up, I
              > > > will say I SHOULD be
              > > > hosting a cousin this summer, but the US Embassy
              > > in
              > > > Bratislava had
              > > > other ideas. I was visiting in Slovakia at
              > > > Christmas and agreed with
              > > > one family to host the 17 year old daughter this
              > > > summer. Funding,
              > > > insurance, round trip tickets, letter of
              > > invitation,
              > > > guarantees,
              > > > school time and parental permission were all
              > > > arranged.
              > > >
              > > > Then she and her dad went to Bratislava for the
              > > > interview and her visa
              > > > was denied. No reason was given. I think it
              > > > stinks. I asked my
              > > > Senators to look into it and I am still waiting
              > > for
              > > > an answer.
              > > >
              > > > Do US citizens have a 'right' to travel abroad,
              > > yet
              > > > we cannot invite
              > > > visitors to this country?
              > > > Is the US so afraid of a 17 year old, what she may
              > > > do or see?
              > > >
              > > > I have worked for the Federal government and know
              > > > how arbitrary its
              > > > burro-crats can be, but this is beyond all reason.
              > > >
              > > > Ron

              > > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in
              > > alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green
              > > Center.
              > > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

              for the edge of your seat?