Re: [S-R] Hungarian Ethnography

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007
      Eugene,
      try
      _http://mek.oszk.hu/02700/02790/html/_ (http://mek.oszk.hu/02700/02790/html/)
      the shortened URL works.
      Thank you Janet, this is one of those sites that will be some time
      meandering through.
      Noreen

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
        Noreen and Janet,

        The shortened URL works. I just finished the Preface to what will
        surely be a fascinating and informative online read.

        However, I do have one more question for All:

        In the same social setting (an 1850-60s Eastern European village) would the
        village witnesses to the baptism of a child born legitimate or illegitimate
        have been considered traditional
        godparents of the child, i.e., with the understood responsibility of to some
        degree
        providing for the care of that child if necessary (i.e. if the parent were
        unable or unwilling to care for the child) or were they merely witnesses to
        the administration of a church sacrament?

        Thanks again for the timely help everyone has provided. On to the readings.

        Eugene K

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007
          My readings have suggested that the godparents, and especially the
          godmother, play a significant role in the lives of their godchildren and are
          important figures at christening, confirmation, and wedding of their
          godchild, as well as the funeral if the godchild should die. They may even
          be responsible for organizing these events and always give gifts on these
          and other occasions. I do not see, however, that they took the
          responsibility of raising the children if they were orphaned. This job was
          most likely taken on by relatives.

          The memoirs of my husband's great-grandfather, from the mid 1800s, portray a
          very close relationship with his godparents. On one occasion he wrote a song
          in honor of his godmother that he performed for her at her name day party.

          A female cousin's godfather was Count Leopold Andrassy, the ruling landlord
          in the village, and she was named Leopoldina in his honor. Her father, the
          village Lutheran priest, died when she was an infant, and I have wondered if
          her godfather provided any financial assistance to her and her mother. They
          moved back to the mother's "home town," but my impression is that they were
          relatively well off financially. In contrast, another female relative was
          left with three small children when her husband committed suicide. In that
          instance, the godfather was a teacher. There was obviously no help there,
          and the family became completely destitute.

          Janet

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
            Janet,

            Thank you for answering my question with this information plus some of your
            family's history. As you may have gathered, in my research I have a
            discovered few issues to resolve, thus an understanding of the society, time and place
            in which my ancestors lived is of much importance. My best to you and all on
            the list who have so generously offered their help.

            Eugene Klodzen