Re: Hi to the list

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 1999
      Hi Peg,

      The LDS FamilySearch site is online at http://www.familysearch.org ,
      however, I caution you that this is only Ancestral File and IGI
      (International Genealogical Index) , both are consist of submitted
      information (you can read about them on my Helpful Hints site to see
      what the difference is), and chances are slim that you will find your
      people in them. Even if you find a name, you will need to access most of
      the details at your local Family History Center.

      What you will need to do is research your family backwards from the 1920
      census, obtain naturalization records for the men in your line, get
      vital statistics records etc. This can be done at the FHC, sometimes
      your local genealogy library. You can email the NARA branch for the
      state of naturalization, but you'll have to know approximate year of
      event, which the census should tell you.

      Don't get discouraged, it's really not that hard to do, but you will
      more than likely need to go to a FHC to do most of this.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching