Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Questions

  • Fred Corbett
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
      You can also do a search on the social security number and you may be able to
      verify that it is for your grandmother. You may also find out that the name was
      spelled different from what you expected.

      Fred

      Eric Haas wrote:

      > Kathleen Duvall wrote:
      >
      > > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
      > > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
      > > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
      > > security number to find out more information about her?
      >
      > With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
      > application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.

      > Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
      > experiments.
    • Brecosky
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
        Kathleen:

        I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
        south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
        can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
        this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
        connection!

        Anita B.

        SNIP
        > They settled in Pittsburgh
        SNIP
        > Kathleen in Florida
      • jallen50
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
          Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
          in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
            > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
            > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
            > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
            > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
            > connection! Anita B.>

            Thanks so much Anita!

            I was born in Pittsburgh. My family moved to Arizona in 1956 --
            everyone still thought it was the land of opportunity, I guess! I love
            Pennsylvania and wish they had never moved.

            After WWII, my parents lived with my grandparents in a section of
            Pittsburgh that I think has since been torn down to make 3 Rivers
            Stadium. My husband and I were up there in 1994 trying to find the
            street they lived on and that I remembered so well, but even though it
            was on the map, we couldn't locate it anywhere.

            Just reminiscing.

            Kathleen in Florida
            researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
          • Kathleen Duvall
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
              > Where would I find the soundexed index??? I know my grandmother came to NY
              > in 1906. I was always told she came to Ellis Island.>

              Me too! I want to know too. :)

              Kathleen in Florida
              researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
            • Kathleen Duvall
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I live just
                > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with anything I
                > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've only been on
                > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a Pittsburgh
                > connection! Anita B.>

                Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?

                Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles in
                the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social Security
                card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I assumed
                she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that women
                were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.

                I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                then (1911 and on)?

                I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                security number to find out more information about her?

                Thanks so much!

                Kathleen in Florida
                researching GALEK, HUTZMAN
              • Eric Haas
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 6, 2000
                  Kathleen Duvall wrote:

                  > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                  > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she did have
                  > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that social
                  > security number to find out more information about her?

                  With her social security number, you can write to the SSA and get her
                  application, even though she doesn't appear in the death index.
                • Frank Kurchina
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 7, 2000
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Kathleen Duvall" <nanwkshp@a...>
                    wrote:
                    > > I'm very new to all of this, but I noticed you are in Florida. I
                    live just
                    > > south of Pittsburgh, and I'd be more than happy to help you with
                    anything I
                    > > can from here. You all have been so helpful already (and I've
                    only been on
                    > > this group since this morning!), so just ask if you need a
                    Pittsburgh
                    > > connection! Anita B.>
                    >
                    > Which makes me think -- there seemed to be a large Hungarian
                    > population in Pittsburgh. I wonder why there? Was it because some
                    > Hungarians arrived there and "sponsored" others?
                    >
                    > Which also brings me to another question. I found my great-uncles
                    in
                    > the Social Security death index and got copies of their Social
                    Security
                    > card applications, but since I couldn't find my grandmother, I
                    assumed
                    > she had never gotten a Social Security card. I had heard that
                    women
                    > were not required to be naturalized? She did domestic and waitress
                    > work, and I thought maybe she just never got into the system.
                    >
                    > I was also wondering if such a thing as a "green card" existed back
                    > then (1911 and on)?
                    >
                    > I remember my grandmother telling me she couldn't vote because she
                    > wasn't a citizen. But when I got her death certificate, I see she
                    did have
                    > a social security number! Is there anywhere else I could use that
                    social
                    > security number to find out more information about her?
                    >
                    > Thanks so much!
                    >
                    > Kathleen in Florida
                    > researching GALEK, HUTZMAN

                    Was GM maiden name Galek or Hutzman ?
                    5 surname Hutzman listed are all MI.

                    http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Hutzman&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f2
                    0=&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit4
                    23=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                    59 surname Galek are listed in SSDI.

                    http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Galek&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=
                    &advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit423
                    =Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

                    Social Security began in 1937.
                    If not liated in Index and surname had a number , then nobody ever
                    applied for her death benefit payments.

                    You Request Information for surname from the Social Security Death
                    The letter comes preprinted with appropriate information already
                    entered from the SSDI information.
                    The copy of SS application form SS-5 lists surname village/town of
                    origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.

                    Naturalization papers came in four flavors :

                    =>
                    1.Certificate of Arrival
                    (this document, issued from 1906 on, provided the information
                    about the arrival date and ship. It provided proof that the
                    individual came on that date and the document was issued at the
                    port of entry upon arrival)

                    2.Declaration of Intention
                    (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
                    of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
                    foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
                    embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

                    3.Petition for Naturalization
                    (data listed in 2. above plus marital status, children's name, and
                    names of two witnesses)

                    4.Record / Certificate of Naturalization
                    (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
                    items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
                    souvenir of the official proceedings ( like a high school diploma).

                    Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
                    her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well,
                    if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. children were required
                    to wait until after 21st birthday.
                    Wives after 1922 had to apply for their own naturalization.

                    Pittsburgh had a large Slovak, Polish, Croatian; so maybe a large
                    Hungarian immigrant population as well ?
                    Pittsburgh had many steel mills and coal mines in the region.
                    Plus immigrants tend to settle where their relatives and/or sponsors
                    were already living.

                    No green cards back then.