Tkach, tracs, Durto, Gyurta Tanslation of prayer book help needed Thanks

  • chance_darkeyes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2007
      My grandmother is 96 and her father and mother were George Tkach
      1882-1967, Mary/Maria Durto Tkach died 1921. They came over to USA
      in 1909-1910. Because my grandmother was born in USA in 1910.
      Relatives were Anna Tkach (Anna also spelled it Kotch), and Michael
      Tkach 1877- 1946 are the people I am in search of. If anyone knows
      or has any clues please let me know. The town is Sacurrow and
      Zemplinski. Also a Mrs. Arkie married name and a Mrs. Holinko
      married name. They both had 4-5 children. I also think they are
      slavikic but their records on immigrantion of my grandfather says
      chezeckslovia and then others say Hungary. I am so confused. If
      anyone can tell me what language this prayer book has it in it might
      solve my problems. Also I would like to say what it says. Thanks so
      very much!

      This was in a prayer book that was Grandma mothers

      Motica Slovenska
      Nositerka Radu Republicky
      Oddelenie pre Zahranicnyck
      Slovakov Puyacevova 2
      Bratislova 1

      Attention: Anna Istvancinova

      Also

      Mary Kash
      Marca 16 20 0/0 7

      Rulobrnynkoi
      Poinyinykoi
      Moinyoc 7 Soi

      Ocera
      Slonska
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
        >>> The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski. <<<

        Haven't we seen this before? My computer recognized the village name
        from a previous look up.

        LDS has both GC and RC church records available. Greek Catholic and
        Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and deaths for
        Saèurov, Slovakia; formerly Szacsúr, Zemplén, Hungary.

        LDS also has the very informative 1869 Hungarian Census.
        Sókút (Sol) -- Stefanócz (Štefanovce) -- Szacsúr (Saèurov) Film #
        719786

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent
        site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
          >>> Motica Slovenska <<<

          It's Slovak.
        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
            >>> The town is Sacurrow and Zemplinski. <<<

            1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
            The old Hungarian map can be found at:
            http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

            Look in the light blue area, left side of map, for Szascur. That's your
            village name in Hungarian.

            CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
            a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
            likely find in church records.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
              SLOVAK TELEPHONE WHITE PAGES
              You might find relatives in Slovakia who have a telephone listing by
              looking them up in the phone book white pages at
              http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/

              To use the search engine, you need to complete all the letters of last
              name e.g.: Adam or Adamova. There is no English version of the web page.

              These are potential cousins:
              Tkáè Ján Lesná 269, Saèurov
              Holinková Mária Nižný Hrušov 225, Nižný Hrušov
              Ïurko Ján Družstevná 564, Saèurov
              Ïurko Pavol Družstevná 570, Saèurov
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
                ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
                I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island
                entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

                You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off
                several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware
                that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the
                manifest, which often has two pages.

                Durko, Jan Sacurov, T. Slov. 18  1902  1920
                Durka, Anna Valjs Szacsur 17  1883  1900
                Tkacs, Jlona Szacsur 17  1884  1901
                Tkacs, Maria Szacsur 25  1885  1910
                Tkacs, Maria Szacsur 26  1878  1904
                Tkacs, Mihaly Szacsur 2  1902  1904
              • The West's
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
                  John, Yes you have and I do appreciate you helping me. I really do. You are so knowledgable and helpful. Do you research for pay? Maybe I should have you help me that way, if I can afford it. I really want this for my Grandmother to know. I love her so much and want her to have this and place a copy with her when she passes. She is 96 and time is running out. She can talk and understand quite well, and tells me of things when she was a child. She rememebers those things well. She really only knew her mother until she was 12 years old , and her mother died (Maria Tracs), and left her and my ggrandfather to raise her other siblings. Grandma is the only one left. I have since found out that Maria had two sister's married last names of Arkie and Holinko in America and have pictures that my mother found and Grandma gave to me. I recently send back one printer and just got a another scanner and printer...so I will scan a picture of her birth certificate...like we
                  discussed a month or more ago.

                  I work two jobs and it takes up alot of my time. But this has become my release to stress, and my goal to find information. I am addicted to this research, but I am not very good or knowledgable and people like yourself are helping me to learn. I have a drive that I am sure that I have inherited from my family to survive and thrive, or my ggrandparents would have never made it to America. I know they worked so hard, and I rememeber my ggrandfather, and how hard his life was to give his family freedom. Not like some of the immigrants of today. He worked day and night in the coal mines, to barely bring home enough to feed four hungry children, with a wife that became very sick and died so young. My grandmother had to quit school and take care of the house, and the neighbor ladies helped her to learn to do everything he rmother had not time to teach her to do, becasue of her sudden .and unexpected death. Her youngest was 14 months and grandma rasied her baby
                  brother. Her knew her as his mother knowing he had another mother that passed. He passed just recently in the last few years. That was George Tkach Jr.

                  Again, I do appreciate your help and understanding on my subject. Maybe I should call you or you can call me. Sincerely Deborah

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
                    >>> Do you research for pay? Maybe I should have you help me that way,
                    if I can afford it. <<<

                    No, I don't do research for pay. I would recommend Mick Sura, who lives
                    in Kosice. You can contact Mick at sumi@... or arusm@...

                    He is "local talent" and is able to contact folks in Sacurov, take
                    photos and work on the church reords and census material held in the
                    local Slovak Archive.