Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Introduction

  • Brecosky
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
      Rich:

      I would never have imagined (even in my wildest dreams) that someone would
      come along and be so very, very helpful to me in researching my family tree.
      I don't know how to thank you enough for all the information you have given
      me in just one post! THANK YOU! (Gee, I hope no one thinks that's someone's
      surname...LOL!)

      I will print your entire post and read it to my mother tomorrow when I see
      her. I am going to see if I can get some decent print outs of the maps you
      suggested.

      Again, thank you so very much.

      Anita B.
    • Richard D. Custer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
        Wow, Anita -- you're making me blush!

        Really, I have a lot of data here & it is my pleasure to help. (You may
        detect some agenda on my part, mostly it's to educate people about who
        Rusyns are since so many of our people in the USA have only a vague
        understanding of their origin & ethnic background.) You will find that
        Rusyns (or whatever name they prefer -- you will see how many there are) are
        certainly a "colorful" group, just the name issues alone will keep you
        hopping.

        By the way, were your maternal immigrant ancestors (grandparents?) living in
        Pittsburgh? I think there were people from Cigolka in south side, St.
        John's Byz. Cath. Church, and I think some on north side (Holy Ghost
        B.C.C./St. John's Carpatho-Russian Orthodox churches). I think also down in
        New Salem near Uniontown -- there were definitely Zakutansky's there. Kuriv
        people I'd guess would be on south side too, but the largest # in PA I know
        of lived in Cambria County: South Fork & Beaverdale -- between Johnstown &
        Altoona.

        Best wishes to you -- I'd be glad to help if you have other questions.

        Rich Custer

        p.s. to get an idea about the Rusyn/Rusin/Carpatho-Russian, etc. "name
        game", try this article:
        http://lemko.org/lih/slivka.html
        Who are we? Rusin, Russian, Ruthenian, Slovak? by Father John Slivka (1977)