Images needing translation

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2007
      I have a few images that I would like to try and get translated.Think they are in slovak. Not sure where i can post it or if i can send it, its a passport from 1906. Slovakia.Also have somethig possibly latin. Extratas.To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: elainemazur@...: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:33:24 -0700Subject: Re: [S-R] Searching for a relative

      The name John Benyak caught my eye as there was a John Benjak who was the caretaker at my church in the '60s, Holy Name of Jesus, in Monessen, PA. Holy Name was a Slovak church and Monessen is right across the river from Charleroi. That J. Benyak was probably in his 20s or 30s back then. Monessen is in Westmoreland County and Charleroi is in Washington County. There is a John R. Benyak b 24 Jun 1887 in the WWI draft registration cards and one born 13 Oct 1883, living in Charleroi, also with a WWI draft reg card. A John Benyak b. 1888 is in the 1930 census for Monessen.

      You should also explore the spelling as 'Benjak' if you haven't already. There are two in the Ellis Island database as John Benjak. One of them is indexed incorrectly so I couldn't view the original manifest page. My one great grandmother was Mary Strunyak but is also listed as Strunjak in some places.

      Good luck.

      David Decker <maze_r@...> wrote:
      Ok, So i found one of my relatives in elis island.Johann Benyak. From charleroi, PA.But i cannot find the first time he went to amerian. The one i found so far was from 1912.I have used stephen morse website to try and narrow down from hometown, to first name ect. think his first time in the country was between 1906-10. He also says he staying w/ brother in law. Stef. Kondrecz. (look below).,Still cannot find him. Any ideas would be great.Also searching for a Steve Kondrc, which I know he came through before 1906. Any help would be appreciated.To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: karens_roots@...: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 19:07:06 -0700Subject: Re: [S-R] Traveling in Czech and Slovakia

      Wow thanks Linda. A very honest look at the problems I could encounter. This can really help me get prepared. Especially the ATM/Credit Card thing. I may be writing you soon as the time approaches with more questions.

      Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

      Thanks again to everyone. You have really given me great help and information.

      Karen

      From: "helene cincebeaux"
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

      Hi Karen

      Usually no problem taking a rental across
      Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if
      you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can
      get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask
      about taking the car across the border when you rent
      just to be sure.

      Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they
      charge a big surcharge for going into former E.
      European countries.

      Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they
      had health insurance for a simple visit

      ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

      Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

      helene

      http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

      > removed]

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
      in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

      --
      Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!
      Choose from over 100 personalized domains.