Re: [S-R] Surname Question

  • eternallysealed8
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 20, 2007
      Thank you for clearing a few things up. I did not think he dropped
      the Varga because they thought it meant saloon keeper and he was
      embarrased.But it sure does make searching interesting. Thanks
      again.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>
      wrote:

      > First, Varga means shoemaker, not saloon keeper, and is an
      extremely common
      > name.
      >

      > Bi-names, sometimes called pre-names, are not infrequent. They
      were often
      > adopted to distinguish a family from others in the village with
      the same
      > name. You might then refer to him as being from the Varga branch
      of the
      > Kacsmar family (or vice versa). But there are other instances
      where this
      > does not seem to be the case and there is no obvious reason why a
      bi-name
      > was adopted, or why a particular one was used. Sometimes over time
      the
      > second name becomes the primary one. In those cases, in some Latin
      records
      > you will see the word "alias"; in Hungarian it would be "maskent."
      It also

      ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      > Behalf Of eternallysealed8
      > Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:13 AM
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [S-R] Surname Question
      >

      > -Janos' mothers maiden name was Nagy his father was Kacsmar I am
      not
      > sure when they died but Janos was born 1874 married Mary Slavik in
      > 1900 in Cleveland Ohio. So they died before they were married.But
      it
      > is on the rebaryoung website.And my cousin said he dropped the
      Varga