Majernik, Koscs

  • Rick Mayernik
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 9, 2007
      Hello --

      Anyone know anything about Majernik and Koscs surnames in Slovakia. My
      Great Grandfather, Josef Majernik and Grandfather Michael were born in
      Zamutov area. Josef in 1866 and Michael 1890. Wife of Josef, Maria Koscs.

      Thanks for the help.

      Rick Mayernik
    • Rick Mayernik
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 21, 2007
        Hello:

        Anyone aware of the Majernik, Koscs Surnames from the Zamutov area?

        Thanks,

        Rick
      • Rick Mayernik
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009
          Grandpa Michael Majernik, born 1890 in Zamutov. Son of Josef Majernik and
          Maria Koscs.

          Michael came to the United States when about 7 years old to Castle Garden.

          Are records available?

          Thank you,

          Rick
        • Curt Bochanyin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009
            It seems unlikely he entered through Castle Garden. It was closed in 1892 when Ellis Island was opened. Castle Garden records are indexed and searchable on the web. What kind of searching have you already done?

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

            > Grandpa Michael Majernik, born 1890 in Zamutov. Son of Josef Majernik and
            > Maria Koscs.
            >
            > Michael came to the United States when about 7 years old to Castle Garden.
            >
            > Are records available?
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Rick

          • Tom Geiss
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009
              Rick,
              Just thought I'd mention, that , in 1869, in Spisska Nova Ves a MICHAEL HOCZUR??
              ( KOCSIS? HOCZUS? KOCIS?) and his wife , MARIA GURKO had a daughter named ANNA christened. ( This was on microfiche # 1739841).
              Just wondering if there is any connection to your MARIA KOSCS??
              It's a long shot. Tom

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009
                Rick,
                As I understand it, the Castle Garden records can only be seen through a pay site like Ancestory.com. They often offer a trial period or a one month subscription.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009

                  most libraries have Ancestry -- but you usually have to go use their pcs, FYI.

                  Caye

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009
                    Hi Michael,
                    Try this site, at the top open the "search" line , all you really need
                    is the last name & it will bring up all that came thur .
                    ...... http://www.castlegarden.org/ ...
                    Good Luck,
                    Julie B. in NC

                    --- On Mon, 7/6/09, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast.

                    From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast. <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net> net>
                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Monday, July 6, 2009, 1:21 PM

                    Rick,

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 6, 2009

                      Cool, there he is, 4 years old -- came with his 2-year-old brother John.

                      Caye

                      From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@comcast. <mailto:mgmojher% 40comcast. net> net>
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
                      Date: Monday, July 6, 2009, 1:21 PM