RE: [S-R] Searching for a relative

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
      Thanks for all the help.As soon as I posted this I found Johann Benyak who came through boston and stayed with Curaj. (Another family (brother-in-law) to him at the time.So I had him coming through twice.As for Kondrc it would have been through brestovany I think. Or bucany. Not 100 positive. His birth cert say Hubre Brestovany (not sure on the exact spelling or word in relation to Hubre could be off.Someone a long time ago said Upper. I know that Vladamir has provided alot of help with that name, and I guess they are from brestovany.Will look at the other spellings of Kondrc. that you suggested might prove to be good.Did imigrants back then need to have work or a contact in the US to be able to come? Might be able to cross referance.Trying to pinpoint :) so much fun.Will also try and get a hold of that Alan Benyak might know something.DaveTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: kozlay@...: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:58:04 -0500Subject: RE: [S-R] Searching for a relative

      Dear David,

      Johan Benyak, age 24, immigrated on April 13, 2007, from Korlatko to
      Charleroi through Baltimore. Other Benyaks who immigrated from Korlatko
      include:
      Janos, age 40, born 1868, immigrated 1908. Perhaps Johan's father?
      Marie, age 18, 1909
      Yozsef, age 25, 1904
      Andras Benak, 36, 1901, to brother in Latrobe PA

      There were several who might be your Stefan under a variety of spellings,
      including some who immigrated under the name Istvan: Kondrak, Kondra,
      Kondrk, Konderik, Konderka, Kondrat. Their dates of immigration were between
      1901 and 1906. However, none of these came from Korlatko, nor are any of
      them obviously from Nyitra county where Korlatko was. Must be under yet
      another spelling.

      Janet

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2007
        Are you sure you found Johan coming through Boston? I found him in
        Baltimore.

        As for Kondrc, I don't see any coming from the variants of Brestovany (Kis-,
        Nagy-, Velke-, Male-), but there were three from neighboring Bucany in the
        EI records-Jozef (1905), and two Katerinas (both 1921). There was a Stefan
        Konderk immigrating from Pernek in Pozsony megye in 1905, again through
        Baltimore, but this seems a little far away.

        I don't know what your "Hubre" might be. Could it be Velke?

        Have you looked at the church records from Bucany? It could be that folks
        from Brestovany are in there. I don't see anything listed for Korlatko.
        Either they are with another village or the records haven't been released
        yet.

        You'll just have to keep on hunting. Good luck.

        Janet

        _____

        Thanks for all the help.As soon as I posted this I found Johann Benyak who
        came through boston and stayed with Curaj. (Another family (brother-in-law)
        to him at the time.So I had him coming through twice.As for Kondrc it would
        have been through brestovany I think. Or bucany. Not 100 positive. His birth
        cert say Hubre Brestovany (not sure on the exact spelling or word in
        relation to Hubre could be off.Someone a long time ago said Upper. I know
        that Vladamir has provided alot of help with that name, and I guess they are
        from brestovany.Will look at the other spellings of Kondrc. that you
        suggested might prove to be good.Did imigrants back then need to have work
        or a contact in the US to be able to come? Might be able to cross
        referance.Trying to pinpoint :) so much fun.Will also try and get a hold of
        that Alan Benyak might know something.DaveTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom> yahoogroups.comFrom:
        kozlay@comcast. <mailto:kozlay%40comcast.netDate> netDate: Fri, 8 Jun 2007

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2007
            Is it possible to get a hold of the church records online for bucany/brestovany.Also does anyone know the best way to get info for military prior to Czech forming?DaveHave you looked at the church records from Bucany? It could be that folksfrom Brestovany are in there. I don't see anything listed for Korlatko.Either they are with another village or the records haven't been releasedyet.You'll just have to keep on hunting. Good luck.

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
              >>> Is it possible to get a hold of the church records online for
              bucany/brestovany.<<<

              NO.

              LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
              Slovak archives eg: Brestovany. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and
              page references refer to different religions. Most of these church
              records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

              LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths,
              confirmations, and conversions for Buèany, Slovakia; formerly
              Nagybucsány (a.k.a. Bucsán, Bucsány), Nyitra, Hungary.