Re: [S-R] Roll call

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 8, 2007
      Hi Marsha:

      In regard to your inquiry, the records regarding any ANNA JENCA that I have
      are in regard to my BALOGA (BALOG) family in SIROKE parish. For a time, it
      appeared that an ANNA JENCA was one of my great, great, great grandmothers,
      but it turned out to be another person. I do not recall seeing the surname
      SZAUKO. You are right that it is extremely important to find the right
      ancestral village, otherwise, a researcher may find persons with the same first and
      last name, but not the right one, and go on the proverbial wild goose chase.
      A wild goose chase can be even more frustrating than a brick wall. In my
      family, a cousin had initially thought that my great, great, great grandfather
      MATHIAS BALOGA was married to an ANNA JENCA. It turned out that were several
      men named MATHIAS BALOGA who had married wives named ANNA, one of which was
      an ANNA JENCA and one of which was an ANNA (Last Name Unknown). When I
      received census records for the 1869 Hungarian Census, with some great help by JOHN
      ADAM (thanks again, John), it was clear that the ANNA JENCA married to
      MATHIAS BALOGA was not my great, great, great grandmother as the census indicated
      she was born in 1818, and my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in
      1823. Once I learned that I had been on a bit of a wild goose chase, I
      decided to do a whole cluster genealogy of my BALOGA (BALOG) clan as a means to
      double check all of the research, and in the process, I learned a lot of
      information that I would not have gathered had I just been looking only at direct
      ancestors, including the fact that my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA had
      17 children.

      I would suggest reviewing Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research
      Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) . He has
      information as to how to search the 1869 Census records, among other great advice. I
      constantly use Bill's website as a springboard for my research. Sometimes, if
      you cannot find the records in one village, it is worthwhile to check the
      records of the neighboring villages. This is JOHN ADAM's "Two Village Theorem"
      -- it often works in finding an ancestor, but there are of course
      exceptions, as some people did move from significant distances (as I learned with my
      paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC who lived in the High Tatra region in the
      village of STARY SMOKOVEC -- where her family were the first permanent
      residents of the village, originally a hunting resort, and now one of the best
      resorts in all of Slovakia -- and she later lived in SPISSKA VLACHY, still in the
      SPIS region, but quite a distance from STARY SMOKOVEC where she was born).
      I hope this helps a little.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 8, 2007
        Hi Gene:

        I will keep a lookout. I have seen the JENCA surname spelled JENTSA, and
        the JENTS surname that you mentioned is certainly another probable variant in
        spelling.

        Best regards

        David Michael Baloga

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 9, 2007
          Do not forget Jencsa. May be a surprise.
          Vladimir

          _____