Re: [S-R] Searching for a relative

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
      There is an Alan Benyak who is an attorney in Charleroi, PA. You might
      want to contact him. I don't have his home address, but his office
      address is 401 Sixth Street, Charleroi, PA 15022.

      William F. Brna

    • David Decker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
        Thanks for all the help.As soon as I posted this I found Johann Benyak who came through boston and stayed with Curaj. (Another family (brother-in-law) to him at the time.So I had him coming through twice.As for Kondrc it would have been through brestovany I think. Or bucany. Not 100 positive. His birth cert say Hubre Brestovany (not sure on the exact spelling or word in relation to Hubre could be off.Someone a long time ago said Upper. I know that Vladamir has provided alot of help with that name, and I guess they are from brestovany.Will look at the other spellings of Kondrc. that you suggested might prove to be good.Did imigrants back then need to have work or a contact in the US to be able to come? Might be able to cross referance.Trying to pinpoint :) so much fun.Will also try and get a hold of that Alan Benyak might know something.DaveTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: kozlay@...: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:58:04 -0500Subject: RE: [S-R] Searching for a relative

        Dear David,

        Johan Benyak, age 24, immigrated on April 13, 2007, from Korlatko to
        Charleroi through Baltimore. Other Benyaks who immigrated from Korlatko
        include:
        Janos, age 40, born 1868, immigrated 1908. Perhaps Johan's father?
        Marie, age 18, 1909
        Yozsef, age 25, 1904
        Andras Benak, 36, 1901, to brother in Latrobe PA

        There were several who might be your Stefan under a variety of spellings,
        including some who immigrated under the name Istvan: Kondrak, Kondra,
        Kondrk, Konderik, Konderka, Kondrat. Their dates of immigration were between
        1901 and 1906. However, none of these came from Korlatko, nor are any of
        them obviously from Nyitra county where Korlatko was. Must be under yet
        another spelling.

        Janet

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2007
          Are you sure you found Johan coming through Boston? I found him in
          Baltimore.

          As for Kondrc, I don't see any coming from the variants of Brestovany (Kis-,
          Nagy-, Velke-, Male-), but there were three from neighboring Bucany in the
          EI records-Jozef (1905), and two Katerinas (both 1921). There was a Stefan
          Konderk immigrating from Pernek in Pozsony megye in 1905, again through
          Baltimore, but this seems a little far away.

          I don't know what your "Hubre" might be. Could it be Velke?

          Have you looked at the church records from Bucany? It could be that folks
          from Brestovany are in there. I don't see anything listed for Korlatko.
          Either they are with another village or the records haven't been released
          yet.

          You'll just have to keep on hunting. Good luck.

          Janet

          _____

          Thanks for all the help.As soon as I posted this I found Johann Benyak who
          came through boston and stayed with Curaj. (Another family (brother-in-law)
          to him at the time.So I had him coming through twice.As for Kondrc it would
          have been through brestovany I think. Or bucany. Not 100 positive. His birth
          cert say Hubre Brestovany (not sure on the exact spelling or word in
          relation to Hubre could be off.Someone a long time ago said Upper. I know
          that Vladamir has provided alot of help with that name, and I guess they are
          from brestovany.Will look at the other spellings of Kondrc. that you
          suggested might prove to be good.Did imigrants back then need to have work
          or a contact in the US to be able to come? Might be able to cross
          referance.Trying to pinpoint :) so much fun.Will also try and get a hold of
          that Alan Benyak might know something.DaveTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom> yahoogroups.comFrom:
          kozlay@comcast. <mailto:kozlay%40comcast.netDate> netDate: Fri, 8 Jun 2007

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2007
              Is it possible to get a hold of the church records online for bucany/brestovany.Also does anyone know the best way to get info for military prior to Czech forming?DaveHave you looked at the church records from Bucany? It could be that folksfrom Brestovany are in there. I don't see anything listed for Korlatko.Either they are with another village or the records haven't been releasedyet.You'll just have to keep on hunting. Good luck.

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
                >>> Is it possible to get a hold of the church records online for
                bucany/brestovany.<<<

                NO.

                LDS FICHES (set of 6) LDS #6000786
                Slovak archives eg: Brestovany. Index of villages is on fiche #6 and
                page references refer to different religions. Most of these church
                records are available on film via your LDS Family History Center.

                LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths,
                confirmations, and conversions for Buèany, Slovakia; formerly
                Nagybucsány (a.k.a. Bucsán, Bucsány), Nyitra, Hungary.