Searching for a relative

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2007
      Ok, So i found one of my relatives in elis island.Johann Benyak. From charleroi, PA.But i cannot find the first time he went to amerian. The one i found so far was from 1912.I have used stephen morse website to try and narrow down from hometown, to first name ect. think his first time in the country was between 1906-10. He also says he staying w/ brother in law. Stef. Kondrecz. (look below).,Still cannot find him. Any ideas would be great.Also searching for a Steve Kondrc, which I know he came through before 1906. Any help would be appreciated.To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: karens_roots@...: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 19:07:06 -0700Subject: Re: [S-R] Traveling in Czech and Slovakia

      Wow thanks Linda. A very honest look at the problems I could encounter. This can really help me get prepared. Especially the ATM/Credit Card thing. I may be writing you soon as the time approaches with more questions.

      Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

      Thanks again to everyone. You have really given me great help and information.

      Karen

      From: "helene cincebeaux"
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

      Hi Karen

      Usually no problem taking a rental across
      Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if
      you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can
      get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask
      about taking the car across the border when you rent
      just to be sure.

      Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they
      charge a big surcharge for going into former E.
      European countries.

      Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they
      had health insurance for a simple visit

      ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

      Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

      helene

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape

      http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

      > removed]

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
      in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

      --
      Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!
      Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2007
        Dear David,

        Johan Benyak, age 24, immigrated on April 13, 2007, from Korlatko to
        Charleroi through Baltimore. Other Benyaks who immigrated from Korlatko
        include:
        Janos, age 40, born 1868, immigrated 1908. Perhaps Johan's father?
        Marie, age 18, 1909
        Yozsef, age 25, 1904
        Andras Benak, 36, 1901, to brother in Latrobe PA

        There were several who might be your Stefan under a variety of spellings,
        including some who immigrated under the name Istvan: Kondrak, Kondra,
        Kondrk, Konderik, Konderka, Kondrat. Their dates of immigration were between
        1901 and 1906. However, none of these came from Korlatko, nor are any of
        them obviously from Nyitra county where Korlatko was. Must be under yet
        another spelling.

        Janet
      • Elaine Mazur

          --- Karen C wrote:

          > Since so many of you have travelled to the Czech
          > Republic and Slovakia I was wondering if you could
          > answer a few questions?
          >
          > Is there a problem with taking a rental car across
          > the border from Czech Rep. to Slovakia?
          >
          > We're you required to buy the health travel
          > insurance?
          >
          > We're you able to get money on the weekends in the
          > larger cities through ATMs?
          >
          > You responses will be very welcomed.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Karen

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape
          > Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research
          > Panel today!

          http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

          > removed]

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
          in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
          http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

          --
          Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!
          Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

          Yahoo! Groups Links