Re: [S-R] Roll call

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 7, 2007
      Hello Marsha and David,

      Don't know if there's any connection, but my great uncle Stephan KLADZAN was
      married an Amelia JENTS. Stephen was from Vinne, Slovakia, and in 1900 he
      and Amelia were living in Bitumen, PA. I do not know the village of origin for
      Amelia. LIkely, JENTS is a variation spelling of one of the surnames you have
      discovered.

      Gene Klodzen

      In a message dated 6/6/2007 9:08:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      sumdp@... writes:

      Hi David,
      I saw your 6/3/07 post to the group. I have been helping a friend
      research his family 's "trail". Do you have any village of origination info
      for ANNA JENCA? She married Georgius Szauko, from Szvidnik, but, not in
      Szvidnik. Their daughter, Maria, was born in Szvidnik, 1884. Another child,
      Georgius, was born in Beaver Meadow, PA, by 1892. The marriage of these
      parents could have been anytime around 1878 to 1883.
      I tell my friend that it is imperative to find Jenca's village, probable
      wedding site--and the only way to be certain he is tracking the "right"
      line. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
      Marsha

      on 6/3/07 7:46 PM, _david1law@..._ (mailto:david1law@...) at
      _david1law@..._ (mailto:david1law@...) wrote:

      Hi Jack:

      It may just be a coincidence because of the far distances, but in my BALOGA
      (BALOG) clan in the Saris Highlands west of PRESOV, both the HANAK and JENCA
      surnames appear, in the villages of SIROKE, VITAZ, OVCIE, and DOLINA. An
      ANDREAS HANAK was the godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA
      (born
      1823), and the JENCA (JENCSA/JENTSA) surname appears in my extended family.
      In the church records for SIROKE, I have seen a number of instances where
      persons originally came from GALICIA, so the distance cannot be ruled out
      entirely. I am not sure if there is any relation, but I thought I would
      let you
      know anyway, just in case. I wish you well in your search.

      Best regards,

      David Michael Baloga

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 8, 2007
        Hi Marsha:

        In regard to your inquiry, the records regarding any ANNA JENCA that I have
        are in regard to my BALOGA (BALOG) family in SIROKE parish. For a time, it
        appeared that an ANNA JENCA was one of my great, great, great grandmothers,
        but it turned out to be another person. I do not recall seeing the surname
        SZAUKO. You are right that it is extremely important to find the right
        ancestral village, otherwise, a researcher may find persons with the same first and
        last name, but not the right one, and go on the proverbial wild goose chase.
        A wild goose chase can be even more frustrating than a brick wall. In my
        family, a cousin had initially thought that my great, great, great grandfather
        MATHIAS BALOGA was married to an ANNA JENCA. It turned out that were several
        men named MATHIAS BALOGA who had married wives named ANNA, one of which was
        an ANNA JENCA and one of which was an ANNA (Last Name Unknown). When I
        received census records for the 1869 Hungarian Census, with some great help by JOHN
        ADAM (thanks again, John), it was clear that the ANNA JENCA married to
        MATHIAS BALOGA was not my great, great, great grandmother as the census indicated
        she was born in 1818, and my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in
        1823. Once I learned that I had been on a bit of a wild goose chase, I
        decided to do a whole cluster genealogy of my BALOGA (BALOG) clan as a means to
        double check all of the research, and in the process, I learned a lot of
        information that I would not have gathered had I just been looking only at direct
        ancestors, including the fact that my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA had
        17 children.

        I would suggest reviewing Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research
        Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) . He has
        information as to how to search the 1869 Census records, among other great advice. I
        constantly use Bill's website as a springboard for my research. Sometimes, if
        you cannot find the records in one village, it is worthwhile to check the
        records of the neighboring villages. This is JOHN ADAM's "Two Village Theorem"
        -- it often works in finding an ancestor, but there are of course
        exceptions, as some people did move from significant distances (as I learned with my
        paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC who lived in the High Tatra region in the
        village of STARY SMOKOVEC -- where her family were the first permanent
        residents of the village, originally a hunting resort, and now one of the best
        resorts in all of Slovakia -- and she later lived in SPISSKA VLACHY, still in the
        SPIS region, but quite a distance from STARY SMOKOVEC where she was born).
        I hope this helps a little.

        Best regards,

        David Michael Baloga

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 8, 2007
          Hi Gene:

          I will keep a lookout. I have seen the JENCA surname spelled JENTSA, and
          the JENTS surname that you mentioned is certainly another probable variant in
          spelling.

          Best regards

          David Michael Baloga

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 9, 2007
            Do not forget Jencsa. May be a surprise.
            Vladimir

            _____