I have not forgotten you and waiting to get another scanner that will work

  • chance_darkeyes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007

      George
      > Tracs and mother Mary Durta. <<<
      >
      > Is the birth certificate "original" or a more recent transcription of
      > a church record? If a transcription, I would not necessarily trust
      the
      > spelling. The original church record could be very hard to read.
      Focus
      > on what is most important . . .
      >
      > WHERE was gm born? WHAT VILLAGE? WHAT RELIGION?
      >
      > Don't keep us in suspense. If you can't figure out the birth
      > certificate, can you scan or fax it?

    • Frank R. Plichta
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2007
        I'd like to clear up some terminology.

        There are no "Original Certificates". The "Original" record is recorded in
        a ledger style book. So all certificates are transcriptions of the original
        ledger book.

        While handwriting does change over time, the individuals who prepare the
        "transcribed certificates" do it all the time for all sorts of reasons. If
        anyone is best qualified to read the old cursive handwriting, it is the
        people who prepare the "transcribed certificates" for a living. Remember,
        they are also looking at the original record. Plus they are usually
        familiar with the names and rarely need to decipher unusual letters. While
        some records have not weathered the passage of time very well, you are still
        getting a "transcribed certificate" from the people who are most familiar
        with the records.

        Frank R. Plichta

        Galax, Virginia

        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"