Re: [S-R] Traveling in Czech and Slovakia

  • Tim Skvarenina
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
      We stayed at the Tulip Inn in Prague. It was very nice and convenient to Old Town. The desk personnel spoke English and they could get you a cab at a reasonable rate. You can find it on Expedia.

      In Bratislava, we stayed at the Forum Hotel, which was a very nice hotel that has been converted to a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, so it is rather pricey now. It was within walking distance of all the major sites, the staff spoke English, and they had a cab service available for a reasonable fee.

      Tim Skvarenina

      From: "helene cincebeaux"

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. com

      Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

      Hi Karen

      Usually no problem taking a rental across

      Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if

      you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can

      get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask

      about taking the car across the border when you rent

      just to be sure.

      Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they

      charge a big surcharge for going into former E.

      European countries.

      Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they

      had health insurance for a simple visit

      ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

      Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

      helene

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape

      http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

      > removed]

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

      in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

      http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

      --

      Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!

      Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

      http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mail

      <!--

      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
      #ygrp-text{
      font-family:Georgia;
      }
      #ygrp-text p{
      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
      font-family:Arial;
      clear:both;}
      #ygrp-vitnav{
      #ygrp-vitnav a{
      padding:0 1px;}
      #ygrp-actbar{
      #ygrp-actbar .left{
      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
      #ygrp-grft{
      #ygrp-ft{
      padding:5px 0;
      }
      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      padding-bottom:10px;}

      #ygrp-vital{
      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
      #ygrp-vital ul{
      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
      #ygrp-vital ul li{
      }
      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      font-weight:bold;}
      #ygrp-vital a {
      text-decoration:none;}

      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      text-decoration:underline;}

      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      padding:8px 0;}
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      text-decoration:none;}
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      text-decoration:underline;}
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      margin:0;}
      o {font-size:0;}
      .MsoNormal {
      margin:0 0 0 0;}
      #ygrp-text tt{
      font-size:120%;}
      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
      .replbq {margin:4;}
      -->

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
        At 10:07 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
        >Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay
        >in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

        We tried two places in Bratislava last summer (we were in Bratislava 3 times).

        Hotel Kyjev http://www.kyjev-hotel.sk/en/index.html is right by the
        Tesco store and just about across the street from the old city (stare
        mesto), so the location is great. The hotel was probably quite nice
        in 1960s, but is tired-looking today, which means *cheap* for the
        location! We took one of the budget rooms, which meant no TV or
        radio. The room was very shabby but clean, and clean was what was
        most important to me. (My daughter saw one of the hotel brochures
        and said it had pictures of nicer rooms.) Some English-speakers
        among the staff, and I kept hearing English-speaking guests. The
        restaurant has a very good breakfast spread. I'd stay there again,
        maybe even pay for the non-budget room (the reason I took a room on
        the budget floor was that I didn't want to hear TV or radio from
        neighboring rooms at odd hours of the night). I know Helene has also
        chosen to stay there.

        Penzion pod Pyramidou http://www.penzionpodpyramidou.sk/indexEN.html
        is about a 15-20 minute walk further away from the old city, under a
        big inverted pyramid building (hence the name, "under the pyramid"),
        which makes it easy to find. Small place, looks like a pub but they
        have maybe 8 rooms. Price range comparable to Kyjev; maybe it was a
        little cheaper because it was further away, I don't remember off the
        top of my head. I was worried about night-time pub-style noises
        bothering us, but there is a heavy door between the pub and the
        rooms, and we heard nothing. (Actually, I never saw too many people
        in the pub; seems like a quiet place.) There was no English-speaking
        staff when I was there, but others have had better luck. The
        breakfast spread looks small, but that's because it's set out for so
        few people--there's actually good variety in it. Room was nicer than
        Kyjev, clean, pretty basic nothing fancy. Restaurant with outdoor
        (under awning) seating is attached, it was good.

        If I were going back tomorrow, I'd probably go to Kyjev for the
        convenient location.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...