Re: [S-R] Traveling in Czech and Slovakia

  • Karen C
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
      Wow thanks Linda. A very honest look at the problems I could encounter. This can really help me get prepared. Especially the ATM/Credit Card thing. I may be writing you soon as the time approaches with more questions.

      Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

      Thanks again to everyone. You have really given me great help and information.

      Karen

      From: "helene cincebeaux"
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

      Hi Karen

      Usually no problem taking a rental across
      Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if
      you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can
      get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask
      about taking the car across the border when you rent
      just to be sure.

      Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they
      charge a big surcharge for going into former E.
      European countries.

      Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they
      had health insurance for a simple visit

      ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

      Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

      helene

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape

      http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

      > removed]

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
      in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

      --
      Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!
      Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

    • Tim Skvarenina
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
        We stayed at the Tulip Inn in Prague. It was very nice and convenient to Old Town. The desk personnel spoke English and they could get you a cab at a reasonable rate. You can find it on Expedia.

        In Bratislava, we stayed at the Forum Hotel, which was a very nice hotel that has been converted to a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, so it is rather pricey now. It was within walking distance of all the major sites, the staff spoke English, and they had a cab service available for a reasonable fee.

        Tim Skvarenina

        Usually no problem taking a rental across

        Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if

        you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can

        get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask

        about taking the car across the border when you rent

        just to be sure.

        Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they

        charge a big surcharge for going into former E.

        European countries.

        Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they

        had health insurance for a simple visit

        ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

        Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

        helene

        --- Karen C <karens_roots@ yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Since so many of you have travelled to the Czech

        > Republic and Slovakia I was wondering if you could

        > answer a few questions?

        > Is there a problem with taking a rental car across

        > the border from Czech Rep. to Slovakia?

        > We're you required to buy the health travel

        > insurance?

        > We're you able to get money on the weekends in the

        > larger cities through ATMs?

        > You responses will be very welcomed.

        > Thanks in advance,

        > Karen

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape

        > Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research

        > Panel today!

        http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

        > removed]

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

        in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

        http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

        --

        Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!

        Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

        http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mail

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
          At 10:07 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
          >Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay
          >in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

          We tried two places in Bratislava last summer (we were in Bratislava 3 times).

          Hotel Kyjev http://www.kyjev-hotel.sk/en/index.html is right by the
          Tesco store and just about across the street from the old city (stare
          mesto), so the location is great. The hotel was probably quite nice
          in 1960s, but is tired-looking today, which means *cheap* for the
          location! We took one of the budget rooms, which meant no TV or
          radio. The room was very shabby but clean, and clean was what was
          most important to me. (My daughter saw one of the hotel brochures
          and said it had pictures of nicer rooms.) Some English-speakers
          among the staff, and I kept hearing English-speaking guests. The
          restaurant has a very good breakfast spread. I'd stay there again,
          maybe even pay for the non-budget room (the reason I took a room on
          the budget floor was that I didn't want to hear TV or radio from
          neighboring rooms at odd hours of the night). I know Helene has also
          chosen to stay there.

          Penzion pod Pyramidou http://www.penzionpodpyramidou.sk/indexEN.html
          is about a 15-20 minute walk further away from the old city, under a
          big inverted pyramid building (hence the name, "under the pyramid"),
          which makes it easy to find. Small place, looks like a pub but they
          have maybe 8 rooms. Price range comparable to Kyjev; maybe it was a
          little cheaper because it was further away, I don't remember off the
          top of my head. I was worried about night-time pub-style noises
          bothering us, but there is a heavy door between the pub and the
          rooms, and we heard nothing. (Actually, I never saw too many people
          in the pub; seems like a quiet place.) There was no English-speaking
          staff when I was there, but others have had better luck. The
          breakfast spread looks small, but that's because it's set out for so
          few people--there's actually good variety in it. Room was nicer than
          Kyjev, clean, pretty basic nothing fancy. Restaurant with outdoor
          (under awning) seating is attached, it was good.

          If I were going back tomorrow, I'd probably go to Kyjev for the
          convenient location.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...