Re: [S-R] roll call: Slovaks in London, Ontario?

  • ttplante@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
      I am not sure if there was a large Slovak community but I have found some of
      them settled in a small community called Batawa. This was a company town
      created by the Bata shoe company. Houseing was provided by the company etc.
      My Great Uncle and his wife settled there. Batawa has become a suburb of the
      larger city now. It might not help but it may be a jumping off point for you.

      Quoting "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>:

      > My grandparents (and one great-grandparent) were my Slovak immigrant
      > ancestors; they landed in New York City, stayed there a while, went
      > to London Ontario for a couple of years and then back to NYC for a
      > while, then settled permanently in central Michigan.
      >
      > I've never been able to figure out why they went to London, and no
      > one (their children) seemed to know, either. They went to London
      > sometime between Feb 1913 (married then in NYC) and January 1914
      > (first child was born then, in London). They were back in NYC again
      > in Nov 1916, when their second child was born.
      >
      > Their son never ended up with a Canadian birth certificate, so I
      > don't know where they lived in London. (And yes, that caused various
      > hassles in his adult life!)
      >
      > Could there have been a Slovak community in London? If so, was there
      > a particular neighborhood or Catholic parish (baptismal record to
      > search for!) that Slovaks tended to live in? I wonder if there was
      > some economic opportunity that was either short-term, or just didn't
      > work out for them.
      >
      > Thanks for any insight.
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...

    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
        Thank you! Interesting connection--my grandfather's brother was in
        the shoe business in their home village in Slovakia. This is
        definitely worth following up on; thanks for the lead.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...