roll call: Slovaks in London, Ontario?

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
      My grandparents (and one great-grandparent) were my Slovak immigrant
      ancestors; they landed in New York City, stayed there a while, went
      to London Ontario for a couple of years and then back to NYC for a
      while, then settled permanently in central Michigan.

      I've never been able to figure out why they went to London, and no
      one (their children) seemed to know, either. They went to London
      sometime between Feb 1913 (married then in NYC) and January 1914
      (first child was born then, in London). They were back in NYC again
      in Nov 1916, when their second child was born.

      Their son never ended up with a Canadian birth certificate, so I
      don't know where they lived in London. (And yes, that caused various
      hassles in his adult life!)

      Could there have been a Slovak community in London? If so, was there
      a particular neighborhood or Catholic parish (baptismal record to
      search for!) that Slovaks tended to live in? I wonder if there was
      some economic opportunity that was either short-term, or just didn't
      work out for them.

      Thanks for any insight.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • ttplante@telusplanet.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
        I am not sure if there was a large Slovak community but I have found some of
        them settled in a small community called Batawa. This was a company town
        created by the Bata shoe company. Houseing was provided by the company etc.
        My Great Uncle and his wife settled there. Batawa has become a suburb of the
        larger city now. It might not help but it may be a jumping off point for you.

        Quoting "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>:

        > My grandparents (and one great-grandparent) were my Slovak immigrant
        > ancestors; they landed in New York City, stayed there a while, went
        > to London Ontario for a couple of years and then back to NYC for a
        > while, then settled permanently in central Michigan.
        >
        > I've never been able to figure out why they went to London, and no
        > one (their children) seemed to know, either. They went to London
        > sometime between Feb 1913 (married then in NYC) and January 1914
        > (first child was born then, in London). They were back in NYC again
        > in Nov 1916, when their second child was born.
        >
        > Their son never ended up with a Canadian birth certificate, so I
        > don't know where they lived in London. (And yes, that caused various
        > hassles in his adult life!)
        >
        > Could there have been a Slovak community in London? If so, was there
        > a particular neighborhood or Catholic parish (baptismal record to
        > search for!) that Slovaks tended to live in? I wonder if there was
        > some economic opportunity that was either short-term, or just didn't
        > work out for them.
        >
        > Thanks for any insight.
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
          Thank you! Interesting connection--my grandfather's brother was in
          the shoe business in their home village in Slovakia. This is
          definitely worth following up on; thanks for the lead.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...