Re: Roll Call - Looking for Fabery (sp?) and Cerva

  • ssultonia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
      Cindy,
      You will find there are "Fabry" surnames in Spis county in
      Eastern Slovakia. One village I'm aware of is Olsavka. Not sure
      if it goes by the same name now or not. This would be in the area
      of Zsegra, Dubrava, NW of Kosice. I know of an Anna Fabry, born 1903,
      who married a Joannes (John) Czmorej Jan 17, 1921. Her parents were
      Paulus Fabry and Mara Brindza. I'm aware of the connection because I
      do research on the "Czmorej" surname. I'm also aware that they moved
      to Cleveland, OH for a while but returned to Slovakia about the time
      of the Depression in the US.
      R/Bill

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "historytracker"
      <historytracker@...> wrote:

      > My great grandparents were Emery and Mary Fabery (Maiden name
      > Baran). I believe the name is originally Fabry, but over the years I
      > have seen it with many different spellings. The earliest
      > documentation that I have for them is 1890 with their marriage
      > license. Also naturalization records for Emery indicated that he was
      > from Austria. My slovak roots are in Fayette County, PA and
      > Westmoreland, PA. Eventually they settled in Uniontown, PA and that
      > is where they are buried. I still cannot find any documentation that
      > indicates any villages or towns where they were born.
      >
      > Anna Cerva is the sister of Emery and she spent most of her life in
      > Luzerne County, PA and then settled in Greensburg, PA. Currently I am
      > researching this family in hopes to find something indicating where
      > are they from.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Cindy Cooney

    • Florian C. Simala, Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
        Cindy;

        My maternal grandfather was Ferdinand Victor Fabry, born 21 March 1881 in Trstena, Orava; Ferdinand was the son of Karol Fabry, who was born on 2 November 1853 in Trstena; Ferdinand's grandfather was Jozef Fabry who was born on 26 June 1814 in Trstena; Ferdinand's great-grandfather was Stefan Fabry, date and place of birth unknown, according to information received from a second cousin some years ago.

        Ferdinand Victor Fabry married Kornelia Zahor, who was born circa 1868 to 1870 in Svaty Mikulas (Liptovsky Mikulas) after immigrating to Cleveland, OH.

        BTW, somewhere a while back I found the following about the surname "Fabry" somewhere on the Internet:

        "What does the fabry name mean?
        Last Name: fabry
        Slovak and Hungarian (Fábry): occupational name for a blacksmith or ironworker, from a derivative of Latin faber ‘craftsman’.
        Southern French: variant of Fabre."

        Regards,

        Florian
        Roll Call - Looking for Fabery (sp?) and Cerva Posted by: "historytracker" historytracker@... historytracker Sat Jun 2, 2007 1:05 am (PST) My great grandparents were Emery and Mary Fabery (Maiden name
        Baran). I believe the name is originally Fabry, but over the years I
        have seen it with many different spellings. The earliest
        documentation that I have for them is 1890 with their marriage
        license. Also naturalization records for Emery indicated that he was
        from Austria. My slovak roots are in Fayette County, PA and
        Westmoreland, PA. Eventually they settled in Uniontown, PA and that
        is where they are buried. I still cannot find any documentation that
        indicates any villages or towns where they were born.

        Anna Cerva is the sister of Emery and she spent most of her life in
        Luzerne County, PA and then settled in Greensburg, PA. Currently I am
        researching this family in hopes to find something indicating where
        are they from.

        Thank you.

        Cindy Cooney

      • Margo Smith