Roll Call - Looking for Fabery (sp?) and Cerva

  • historytracker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
      My great grandparents were Emery and Mary Fabery (Maiden name
      Baran). I believe the name is originally Fabry, but over the years I
      have seen it with many different spellings. The earliest
      documentation that I have for them is 1890 with their marriage
      license. Also naturalization records for Emery indicated that he was
      from Austria. My slovak roots are in Fayette County, PA and
      Westmoreland, PA. Eventually they settled in Uniontown, PA and that
      is where they are buried. I still cannot find any documentation that
      indicates any villages or towns where they were born.

      Anna Cerva is the sister of Emery and she spent most of her life in
      Luzerne County, PA and then settled in Greensburg, PA. Currently I am
      researching this family in hopes to find something indicating where
      are they from.

      Thank you.

      Cindy Cooney
    • ssultonia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
        Cindy,
        You will find there are "Fabry" surnames in Spis county in
        Eastern Slovakia. One village I'm aware of is Olsavka. Not sure
        if it goes by the same name now or not. This would be in the area
        of Zsegra, Dubrava, NW of Kosice. I know of an Anna Fabry, born 1903,
        who married a Joannes (John) Czmorej Jan 17, 1921. Her parents were
        Paulus Fabry and Mara Brindza. I'm aware of the connection because I
        do research on the "Czmorej" surname. I'm also aware that they moved
        to Cleveland, OH for a while but returned to Slovakia about the time
        of the Depression in the US.
        R/Bill

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "historytracker"
        <historytracker@...> wrote:

        > My great grandparents were Emery and Mary Fabery (Maiden name
        > Baran). I believe the name is originally Fabry, but over the years I
        > have seen it with many different spellings. The earliest
        > documentation that I have for them is 1890 with their marriage
        > license. Also naturalization records for Emery indicated that he was
        > from Austria. My slovak roots are in Fayette County, PA and
        > Westmoreland, PA. Eventually they settled in Uniontown, PA and that
        > is where they are buried. I still cannot find any documentation that
        > indicates any villages or towns where they were born.
        >
        > Anna Cerva is the sister of Emery and she spent most of her life in
        > Luzerne County, PA and then settled in Greensburg, PA. Currently I am
        > researching this family in hopes to find something indicating where
        > are they from.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Cindy Cooney

      • Florian C. Simala, Jr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2007
          Cindy;

          My maternal grandfather was Ferdinand Victor Fabry, born 21 March 1881 in Trstena, Orava; Ferdinand was the son of Karol Fabry, who was born on 2 November 1853 in Trstena; Ferdinand's grandfather was Jozef Fabry who was born on 26 June 1814 in Trstena; Ferdinand's great-grandfather was Stefan Fabry, date and place of birth unknown, according to information received from a second cousin some years ago.

          Ferdinand Victor Fabry married Kornelia Zahor, who was born circa 1868 to 1870 in Svaty Mikulas (Liptovsky Mikulas) after immigrating to Cleveland, OH.

          BTW, somewhere a while back I found the following about the surname "Fabry" somewhere on the Internet:

          "What does the fabry name mean?
          Last Name: fabry
          Slovak and Hungarian (Fábry): occupational name for a blacksmith or ironworker, from a derivative of Latin faber ‘craftsman’.
          Southern French: variant of Fabre."

          Regards,

          Florian
          Roll Call - Looking for Fabery (sp?) and Cerva Posted by: "historytracker" historytracker@... historytracker Sat Jun 2, 2007 1:05 am (PST) My great grandparents were Emery and Mary Fabery (Maiden name
          Baran). I believe the name is originally Fabry, but over the years I
          have seen it with many different spellings. The earliest
          documentation that I have for them is 1890 with their marriage
          license. Also naturalization records for Emery indicated that he was
          from Austria. My slovak roots are in Fayette County, PA and
          Westmoreland, PA. Eventually they settled in Uniontown, PA and that
          is where they are buried. I still cannot find any documentation that
          indicates any villages or towns where they were born.

          Anna Cerva is the sister of Emery and she spent most of her life in
          Luzerne County, PA and then settled in Greensburg, PA. Currently I am
          researching this family in hopes to find something indicating where
          are they from.

          Thank you.

          Cindy Cooney

        • Margo Smith