Linguistic knowledge request for breaking through the gggranny wall!

  • ladyguilford
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      This is for our moderator, or for absolutely anybody who can help!

      Having benefited from having ancestors in Palota, I've had a
      marvellous time wallowing in the census and church records. The
      direct line takes me back to a gggrandparent pair born 1800 (him) and
      1810 or later (her, depending on when you ask). Peter Kusnyir's
      surname is everywhere in the village, and there is no shortage of
      Kusnyirs about. If I could get back before 1800, I would be able to
      link many of them I suspect are brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles.

      However, Mrs K is a very big problem. My wall is named as Anna GURO
      in the 1869 census, wife of the head of household 39 in Palota. She
      is listed as born somewhere in Galicia, I believe in Sanok, but I
      cannot make sense out of the rest. A sense of frustration, yes, but
      no useful sense.

      So, Question 1:

      ****I'm going to file two photos of that census page on this forum,
      in the hopes that someone can make this out. CAN SOMEONE IDENTIFY THE
      VILLAGE ?????

      Elsewhere in a christening record, a suggestion arose that she might
      have come from Kaleno, very near by, but there is no family of that
      name anywhere there, ever. Anyway, that was not in Galitzia.

      At another christening, her name looked more like GUDZA, but I
      suspect one of those loops is fooling me.

      Question 2: linguistic credibility

      ****Is GURO a credible surname for the district?

      Does it mean a person of the mountains, as the root does in the
      Polish language, and probably in Slovak?

      She must have had a maiden surname at that time, surely? It could
      not MERELY mean 'a woman who came from the mountains'?

      Please can someone resurrect this poor woman?????
    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2007
        No need for frustration. Sanok is in Galicia and there should you search.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2007
          I had hoped for a narrowing down of focus from an entire county to a quite
          small list of possible villages! This requires sight of the handwriting. I
          am still trying to get the two photos to upload onto this website, twice
          without success. I hope you can take a look at them when (if!) they appear,
          because you may be able to guess the name of the village.

          [My other ancestral village is Polany Surowiczne, a once-living village in
          Sanok.]

          On 31/05/07, konekta@... <konekta@...> wrote:

          > No need for frustration. Sanok is in Galicia and there should you
          > search.
          > Vladimir
          >

          > _____

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2007
            Hi Sandra -

            Will send you separately the e mail of a woman and
            who has roots in Palota and leads tours to exactly the
            area you are describing - seems like she would be a
            big help to you.

            helene

            --- ladyguilford <sandra.guilford@...>

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2007
              You have moved north of the normal Slovak area into Galicia, so I
              suggest you check with
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Galicia_Poland-Ukraine/?yguid=163981740
              as well. If that link does not work, then search Yahoo Groups for "
              Galicia_Poland-Ukraine "

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ladyguilford"