Re: [S-R] Traveling in Czech and Slovakia

  • Tim Skvarenina
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2007
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Karen C <karens_roots@...>

      Since so many of you have travelled to the Czech Republic and Slovakia I was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

      Is there a problem with taking a rental car across the border from Czech Rep. to Slovakia?

      Yes, every rental I saw did not allow taking a car across borders.

      We're you required to buy the health travel insurance?

      No, we were not required to buy this.

      We're you able to get money on the weekends in the larger cities through ATMs?

      Larger cities and smaller cities (Olamouc) had ATMs.

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
      http://farechase.yahoo.com/

    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
        Wow thanks Linda. A very honest look at the problems I could encounter. This can really help me get prepared. Especially the ATM/Credit Card thing. I may be writing you soon as the time approaches with more questions.

        Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

        Thanks again to everyone. You have really given me great help and information.

        Karen

        From: "helene cincebeaux"
        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 19:14:54 -0700 (PDT)

        Hi Karen

        Usually no problem taking a rental across
        Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if
        you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can
        get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask
        about taking the car across the border when you rent
        just to be sure.

        Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they
        charge a big surcharge for going into former E.
        European countries.

        Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they
        had health insurance for a simple visit

        ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

        Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

        helene

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape

        http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

        > removed]

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck
        in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
        http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

        --
        Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!
        Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

      • Tim Skvarenina
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
          We stayed at the Tulip Inn in Prague. It was very nice and convenient to Old Town. The desk personnel spoke English and they could get you a cab at a reasonable rate. You can find it on Expedia.

          In Bratislava, we stayed at the Forum Hotel, which was a very nice hotel that has been converted to a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza, so it is rather pricey now. It was within walking distance of all the major sites, the staff spoke English, and they had a cab service available for a reasonable fee.

          Tim Skvarenina

          Usually no problem taking a rental across

          Czech-Slovak border just be sure to get the sticker if

          you want to use the super highway in Slovakia - can

          get at bigger gas stations or on border. But ask

          about taking the car across the border when you rent

          just to be sure.

          Found that if you rent from some firms in Austria they

          charge a big surcharge for going into former E.

          European countries.

          Don't know any American who had to buy or prove they

          had health insurance for a simple visit

          ATM's seem to work fine all the time.

          Where are you going in Slovakia? And when?

          helene

          --- Karen C <karens_roots@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Since so many of you have travelled to the Czech

          > Republic and Slovakia I was wondering if you could

          > answer a few questions?

          > Is there a problem with taking a rental car across

          > the border from Czech Rep. to Slovakia?

          > We're you required to buy the health travel

          > insurance?

          > We're you able to get money on the weekends in the

          > larger cities through ATMs?

          > You responses will be very welcomed.

          > Thanks in advance,

          > Karen

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Shape

          > Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research

          > Panel today!

          http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

          > removed]

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

          in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

          http://advision. webevents. yahoo.com/ mailbeta/ newmail_html. html

          --

          Get a free mail.com account & e-mail address today!

          Choose from over 100 personalized domains.

          http://mobile. yahoo.com/ mail

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • J. Michutka
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2007
            At 10:07 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
            >Can you recommend any places to stay? Towns we could possibly stay
            >in would be Prague, Bratislava, Kosice.

            We tried two places in Bratislava last summer (we were in Bratislava 3 times).

            Hotel Kyjev http://www.kyjev-hotel.sk/en/index.html is right by the
            Tesco store and just about across the street from the old city (stare
            mesto), so the location is great. The hotel was probably quite nice
            in 1960s, but is tired-looking today, which means *cheap* for the
            location! We took one of the budget rooms, which meant no TV or
            radio. The room was very shabby but clean, and clean was what was
            most important to me. (My daughter saw one of the hotel brochures
            and said it had pictures of nicer rooms.) Some English-speakers
            among the staff, and I kept hearing English-speaking guests. The
            restaurant has a very good breakfast spread. I'd stay there again,
            maybe even pay for the non-budget room (the reason I took a room on
            the budget floor was that I didn't want to hear TV or radio from
            neighboring rooms at odd hours of the night). I know Helene has also
            chosen to stay there.

            Penzion pod Pyramidou http://www.penzionpodpyramidou.sk/indexEN.html
            is about a 15-20 minute walk further away from the old city, under a
            big inverted pyramid building (hence the name, "under the pyramid"),
            which makes it easy to find. Small place, looks like a pub but they
            have maybe 8 rooms. Price range comparable to Kyjev; maybe it was a
            little cheaper because it was further away, I don't remember off the
            top of my head. I was worried about night-time pub-style noises
            bothering us, but there is a heavy door between the pub and the
            rooms, and we heard nothing. (Actually, I never saw too many people
            in the pub; seems like a quiet place.) There was no English-speaking
            staff when I was there, but others have had better luck. The
            breakfast spread looks small, but that's because it's set out for so
            few people--there's actually good variety in it. Room was nicer than
            Kyjev, clean, pretty basic nothing fancy. Restaurant with outdoor
            (under awning) seating is attached, it was good.

            If I were going back tomorrow, I'd probably go to Kyjev for the
            convenient location.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...