Re: Roll call

  • mnm4va
    Message 1 of 25 , May 28, 2007
      Thank you for the roll call Joann. I'm a little rusty on my research
      lately so this roll call may help. I'm looking for the following:

      My g'mother: Magdalen KNAPIK, from Plavnica (Austria-Hungary) (her
      parents were Joseph & Mary KNAPIK who had 5 daughters and 2 sons).
      Magdalen Knapik b:7/28/1878- d:4/21/1978. Emigrated to US around
      1894. Married 8/2/1896 in NY to:
      My g'father: Charles VARGA, from Plavnica. Some say his name may
      have been WARGO. Charles' parents had 5 sons and 2 daughters.
      Charles Varga b: approx. 1874-1875, d: 1/21/1954. Emigrated to US
      around 1894.
      Magdalen Kanpik and Charles Varga lived in NY, NJ, and finally CT
      (Bridgeport area).
      Hope this helps. If this rings a bell with anyone, please contact
      me. M.V. Mitchell (mnm4va@...). Thanks!

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joann" <joannp1@...> wrote:

      > Clear DayHi Everyone:
      >
      > We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are
      more new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family
      name on the list. How about a roll call??

      > Joann

    • Craig Chamberlain
      Message 2 of 25 , May 29, 2007
        Hello all,
        Here is my list of names and places I'm searching so far:

        My grandfathers side: KOSCAK (changed to Koschok in English for
        pronunciation)
        other family on his side: HUDACEK / OVA (mother)
        Jacob Sr. Hudacek, Jacob Jr. Hudacek of Arkansas Ave. Dormont USA
        Jacob III Hudacek and Linda Marion HANLY of Latonia Ave. Dormont USA - 7
        children, some in Pittsburgh, PA; and some in California

        My grandmothers side: BUDZAK / OVA from Lendak village, Slovakia, came to
        St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
        Brother Jakub Budzak from Lendak, Slovakia to Montreal, Quebec, Canada
        + 5 other siblings, youngest sister married a GALLIK, several children and
        grand children (all still in Slovakia as far as I know)
        One brother married a V. FUDALYNOVA with several children still in Slovakia.

        Budzak may be a Hungarian name.

        Any help on these people or known information on the village of Lendak would
        be much appreciated,
        Thanks.

        Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
        e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
        www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 25 , May 29, 2007

          >My grandmothers side: BUDZAK / OVA from Lendak village, Slovakia, came to
          >St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
          >Brother Jakub Budzak from Lendak, Slovakia to Montreal, Quebec, Canada
          >+ 5 other siblings, youngest sister married a GALLIK, several children and
          >grand children (all still in Slovakia as far as I know)
          >One brother married a V. FUDALYNOVA with several children still in Slovakia.

          Is Helene Cincebeaux on this list as well as Slovak World? Her
          Treasures of Slovakia tours stop in Lendak at the Fudaly home....pan
          Fudaly makes sheepskin vests. I wonder if you mis-typed the name,
          might it be Fudaly-ova rather than Fudaly-n-ova.

          Lendak is pretty! There was a January 1987 National Geographic
          article about Slovakia, and it had some pictures of Lendak and of the
          Fudaly family celebrating a family wedding (I think Helene told us
          that they actually married of 3 of their children that day!); also
          photos of the family/Lendak in the March/April 2001 issue of
          Piecework magazine, in an article by Helene about the embroidered
          coats and vests of Slovakia.

          Hope this is of some help.

          Julie Michutka
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 25 , May 29, 2007
            Hi Craig -

            Lendak is one of my favorite villages in Slovakia
            -it's beautifully set under a High Tatra peak and
            while there are many new homes the old ways still
            exist.

            The church dates from the early 1300s and is
            magnficent! The people are very religious! It is one
            of the villages in Slovakia that is growing and
            expanding. The people are so hospitable there.

            I took a family of Hudaceks there and they were
            related to the then Mayor. The Fudalys are very dear
            friends of many years, he is one of the last sheepskin
            vest makers in the country.

            Lendak village was featured in a National Geographic
            article in the early 80s - "Slovakia's Spirit of
            Survival". The Fudalys married off three children at
            once and the wedding is featured in the article with a
            number of pictures - the ladies bringing the dowry on
            their backs, the gorgeous old church and altar, and
            the Fudalys blessing one of their children - all
            wearing the sheepskin vests with red applique that are
            traditional in the village.

            It's funny as the room looks like a big hall but it is
            actually their bedroom in the tiny 2 room house where
            they raised their 9 children. This is where they
            entertain my tour goers and we are so lucky to have a
            taste of traditional Slovak hospitality and a glimpse
            of their "holy corner".

            It always amazes me that so many people go to the High
            Tatras and so few go a few miles further and find this
            wonderful village.

            In regard to your surnames - in the Slvoak Pride data
            base I have 8 listings for Gallik, 7 for Fudaly, 3 for
            Hudacek and 4 for Budzak,

            helene

            --- Craig Chamberlain <craigmchamberlain@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > Here is my list of names and places I'm searching so
            > far:
            >
            > My grandfathers side: KOSCAK (changed to Koschok in
            > English for
            > pronunciation)
            > other family on his side: HUDACEK / OVA (mother)
            > Jacob Sr. Hudacek, Jacob Jr. Hudacek of Arkansas
            > Ave. Dormont USA
            > Jacob III Hudacek and Linda Marion HANLY of Latonia
            > Ave. Dormont USA - 7
            > children, some in Pittsburgh, PA; and some in
            > California
            >
            > My grandmothers side: BUDZAK / OVA from Lendak
            > village, Slovakia, came to
            > St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
            > Brother Jakub Budzak from Lendak, Slovakia to
            > Montreal, Quebec, Canada
            > + 5 other siblings, youngest sister married a
            > GALLIK, several children and
            > grand children (all still in Slovakia as far as I
            > know)
            > One brother married a V. FUDALYNOVA with several
            > children still in Slovakia.
            >
            > Budzak may be a Hungarian name.
            >
            > Any help on these people or known information on the
            > village of Lendak would
            > be much appreciated,
            > Thanks.

            > Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need
            > to help you keep your
            > e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
            > www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
          • John Hanyak
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
              Just went through 250+ e-mails, most about the roll call. Since I have been busy moving Ihave not had a chance to put my 2 cents worth into the roll. Here is all I can give at this moment:

              Paternal grandfather was John Hanyak (Jan Hanak) from the village of Strocin. Came to stay with his brother George in Duquesne, PA. Later brought his wife (Anna Jenca also of Strocin) over. My father was born in Duquesne in 1927, but my Grandfather decided to return to the Old Country soon thereafter (not certain of the date). Two daughters were also born--Anne and Maria. Sometime in the mid 1930's my grandfather returned to the US, leaving the family behind, and resettleing in Duquesne before moving to West Mifflin. In 1947 my father returned to Duquesne and later brought his mother and sister Anne over as well. My Aunt Maria remained in Slovakia as she was married (Yencho) by that time. I have found nothing concerning when my grandparents and Aunt came back to the States.

              Maternal grandfather was Martin Pluchta (Mihaly Plyuchta/Pljuhta) who married Mary Dzemyan) in Rankin, PA. in 1928.

              Bill Tarkulich, your article about the Carpatho-Dukla Operation answered on our my family's mystery. Dad would often talk about the war being around the village of Strocin, but only in general terms. Reading about the Dukla Pass battles showed me that this was his "war" that he never talked about. Thanks.

              Jack Hanyak

            • MA Bensh
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 20, 2007
                According to my gf, my ggm was Barbara MARGA. However, church record handwriting looks like it might have been VARGA or WARGA. She married a John NOVAK and lived in NJ (Bayonne area) from at least 1897 to 1910 based on info I have from census records. Her date of birth according to census info is around 1872. Cannot find immigration records on her. Was wondering if you have any additional WARGA info? Thanks.

                M.V. Mitchell (mnm4va@...). Thanks!

                .