Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Introduction

  • mjesko@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6 3:27 PM
      If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
      in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
      written in Hungarian.
      Happy Hunting!

      mark

      "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
      http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE
    • Brecosky
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6 3:55 PM
        Andrea:

        Thank you so much for the information. I'll go check out the family search
        site and see what I can find. Keep your fingers crossed!

        Anita B.
      • John
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6 4:10 PM
          At 06:27 PM 6/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
          >If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
          >in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
          >written in Hungarian.
          >Happy Hunting!
          >
          >mark

          In my case, the records for my mother's village were in Cyrillic only
          during the period from about 1847 to 1856. Before and after that they were
          in Hungarian but since there is a known format, and glossaries available
          for Hungarian terms used in the church registries, it isn't that daunting
          of a task. I do have to admit the cursive Cyrillic entries are challenging
          but with practice and a Cyrillic cursive and printed alphabet most can be
          made out. The notes, if any, can also be a challenge.

          Janko
        • Richard D. Custer
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6 4:21 PM
            Hi Anita,

            Cigel'ka and Kurov are in northeast Slovakia northwest of the town of
            Bardejov. Kurov is just north of the Topl'a River, and Cigel'ka lies way
            north adjacent to the Slovakia/Poland border. They are both inhabited
            almost entirely by Rusyns [not Slovaks!], one of the main ethno-national
            minorities in Slovakia. The religion of these people is either
            Byzantine/Greek Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.

            >I do have Eva MESARC's parents names. They are Timothy MESARC and Sophia
            >VANIK. It is believed that Timothy MESARC's parents had the last names of
            >MESARC and ZACATANSKY. That is all the information I have on them.

            Timothy's surname would more accurately be Mesarc~ -- that is, the last
            letter is pronounced like "ch" in "church". His mother's surname would more
            accurately be Zakutjanskyj -- in old Hungarian-language documents, the name
            would probably appear as Zakutyanszky. In Slovakia today the name would
            probably be written Zakut'ansky.

            >My mother, who is still living, can speak and read/write some Slovak, so
            she
            >translated what documents we do have.

            If she learned the language from her parents, she does not read or write
            Slovak, but Rusyn. If she learned it in her Greek Catholic church in the
            USA, she would not have learned Slovak; the "Greek School" or "Russian
            School" as they were called basically taught Russian or a Russian-influenced
            Rusyn. The use and teaching of Slovak in these churches was completely
            unheard of.

            Here is some statistical data which may help you see the ethnic/religious
            context of these villages.

            Incidentally (well, that depends...), the people of "Cigel'ka" call the
            village Cigolka in their own language.

            (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

            village: Cigolka, okres Bardejov

            Total Population: 525

            NATIONALITY

            Czechoslovak: 36 citizens
            Rusyn: 434 citizens
            Germans: 0 citizens
            Hungarians: 2 citizens
            Jews: 8 citizens
            Others: 33 citizens
            Foreigners: 12 citizens

            RELIGION

            Roman Catholic: 41 citizens
            Greek Catholic: 472 citizens
            Protestant: 0 citizens
            Orthodox: 0 citizens
            Hebrew: 12 citizens
            Other: 0 citizens

            The people of "Kurov" call the village Kuriv in their own language. Today
            they have a well-known folk ensemble in the village, called "Kurivc~an"
            which performs every year at the Rusyn/Ukrainian folk festivals in Svidnik,
            Kamienka, and others.

            (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

            village: Kuriv, okres Bardejov

            Total Population: 603

            NATIONALITY

            Czechoslovak: 37 citizens
            Rusyn: 552 citizens
            Germans: 0 citizens
            Hungarians: 0 citizens
            Jews: 4 citizens
            Others: 8 citizens
            Foreigners: 2 citizens

            RELIGION

            Roman Catholic: 56 citizens
            Greek Catholic: 528 citizens
            Protestant: 3 citizens
            Orthodox: 0 citizens
            Hebrew: 11 citizens
            Other: 5 citizens

            This map segment shows the area around Cigolka/Cigel'ka and Kuriv/Kurov -
            just a few km away:
            http://lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg70.html

            Records from Cigel'ka and Kurov are available from the LDS Family History
            centers; the film numbers and information is here:
            http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm

            More information on Rusyns is at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org ,
            http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs (the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, which would
            probably open up a whole new world for you on its own), etc. Also, a great
            map & excellent books at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc include the
            indispensible & essential reference, _Our People: Carpatho-Rusyns and Their
            Descendants in North America_ by Paul R. Magocsi.

            Good luck!

            Rich Custer
          • jallen50
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6 4:36 PM
              Andrea: Is there a master of any of these "vocabulary sheets" anywhere on
              the web? My grandmother was determined to learn and improve her
              English...and only taught me very few Slovak words... I regret now that we
              didn't do more of a trade...an English lesson for a Slovak lesson!

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6 4:39 PM
                No, they are scattered here and there. A lot of us print them out and shlep
                them around with us. I printed three different Hungarian genealogical word
                lists and still use an on-line dictionary to figure things out.

                If others can't jump in, post me privately and I will look around for some
                materials for you -- but not today because I am working against a deadline!

                > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                >
                > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                Millenium.
                > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                > appreciated.
                >
                > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                >

                > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                > speaks
                > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                explain
                > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                were.

                > > Andrea

                > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                Old school buds here:
                http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/
              • jallen50
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6 5:00 PM
                  Thanks, Andrea! I can use any help I can get! I've learned a lot from
                  Slovak-Roots. I'm so glad one of your other members told me about all of
                  you! I really was afraid when I started tracing my family that I would not
                  be able to get anywhere...the language barrier for one thing! You've helped
                  me to see it is quite possible that I will be able to get info from
                  Slovakia, but that I may actually be able to find family that was left
                  behind!
                  JuneA

                  > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                  > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                  > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                  > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                  > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                  >
                  > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                  > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                  > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                  Millenium.
                  > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                  > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                  > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                  > appreciated.
                  >
                  > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                  >

                  > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                  > speaks
                  > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                  > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                  explain
                  > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                  were.

                  > > Andrea

                  > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                  > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                  > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                  Old school buds here:
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                  How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                  or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                  fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/

                  Everyday Is Kid's Day
                  Dad Only Has One
                  Click Here To Make It Special
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/5038/0/_/545880/_/960335078/
                • Brecosky
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 6 6:08 PM
                    Rich:

                    I would never have imagined (even in my wildest dreams) that someone would
                    come along and be so very, very helpful to me in researching my family tree.
                    I don't know how to thank you enough for all the information you have given
                    me in just one post! THANK YOU! (Gee, I hope no one thinks that's someone's
                    surname...LOL!)

                    I will print your entire post and read it to my mother tomorrow when I see
                    her. I am going to see if I can get some decent print outs of the maps you
                    suggested.

                    Again, thank you so very much.

                    Anita B.
                  • Richard D. Custer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6 8:09 PM
                      Wow, Anita -- you're making me blush!

                      Really, I have a lot of data here & it is my pleasure to help. (You may
                      detect some agenda on my part, mostly it's to educate people about who
                      Rusyns are since so many of our people in the USA have only a vague
                      understanding of their origin & ethnic background.) You will find that
                      Rusyns (or whatever name they prefer -- you will see how many there are) are
                      certainly a "colorful" group, just the name issues alone will keep you
                      hopping.

                      By the way, were your maternal immigrant ancestors (grandparents?) living in
                      Pittsburgh? I think there were people from Cigolka in south side, St.
                      John's Byz. Cath. Church, and I think some on north side (Holy Ghost
                      B.C.C./St. John's Carpatho-Russian Orthodox churches). I think also down in
                      New Salem near Uniontown -- there were definitely Zakutansky's there. Kuriv
                      people I'd guess would be on south side too, but the largest # in PA I know
                      of lived in Cambria County: South Fork & Beaverdale -- between Johnstown &
                      Altoona.

                      Best wishes to you -- I'd be glad to help if you have other questions.

                      Rich Custer

                      p.s. to get an idea about the Rusyn/Rusin/Carpatho-Russian, etc. "name
                      game", try this article:
                      http://lemko.org/lih/slivka.html
                      Who are we? Rusin, Russian, Ruthenian, Slovak? by Father John Slivka (1977)