TS/CS/C^/CH spellings

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28 8:17 AM
      Hi Alan,
      Yes, many of my family surnames appear with "ts" spellings in the
      late 1700s and early 1800s. Then they change in the mid 1800s to
      a "C" with a diacritic carot over it (slavish spellings). Finally,
      they change to the Hungarian spelling of "cs" in the late 1800s. I
      believe all are pronounced phonetically like the English "ch" sound.
      Carl

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Alan Antoska <aantoska@...>
      wrote:

      > Karl,
      > I have had a look at your uploaded file but do not have an
      > answer. However, some observations.
      >
      > Your scribe spelt 'Dantsik'; my scribe wrote 'Dancik' (or
      > 'Danc'ik') from about 1850 onwards.
      > Slovak is a phonetic language and to my ear, I would not be
      > able to tell the difference.
      >
      > I have over 65 Dancik's in my database. All Lutheran.
      > Predominately from the village of Trstené, Liptov abt 4klm
      > N of Liptovsky Mikulas and about 45klm NW of Liptovska
      > Teplicka. I do not suspect a connection to your clan.
      >
      > However, the first Dancik occurence in my extractions
      > appears to be 1810, a marriage of Martinus Dantsik (same as
      > your spelling) from Nadasfalva and Susanna Danko. This
      > appears to be a late arrival of this name in this area
      > hence my guess that they too came from somewhere else.
      >
      > Good luck.
      >

      > --- Carl Kotlarchik <kkotlarc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks Marilyn,
      > > I have checked the RC Church records for the Teplicka
      > > near Ves
      > > Spisska Nova in the former Szepes County but did not find
      > > anyone with
      > > the Kotlarcik or Dantsik names listed. There is also
      > > another village
      > > named Teplicka in the former Lipto County which I have
      > > not yet
      > > researched. But it too only has a RC Church. I have
      > > only found
      > > records for my family in Lutheran Church records.
      > > However, I do know
      > > that the Catholic Church did sometimes keep the records
      > > for other
      > > denominations. If I could only figure out the other
      > > word, I'd have a
      > > better chance finding the correct location.
      > > thanks again,
      > > Carl
      > >
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn
      > > Hertenstein"
      > > <mjhertenstein@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps the vigil is abbreviated (as Stephen is
      > > abbreviated to
      > > Steph), and
      > > > is actually
      > > > vigilo -are: intransit to keep awake, watch; to be
      > > vigilant,
      > > watchful,
      > > > careful; transit. in pass., to be watched through,
      > > watched over.
      > > Pres.
      > > > partic. vigilans -antis, watchful, vigilant; adv.
      > > vigilanter.
      > > Maybe he
      > > > was in transit from Suvete.
      > > >
      > > > Unless it was his occupation, thereby being:
      > > >
      > > > vigil -ilis, wakeful, watchful; m. as subst. a
      > > watchman.
      > > >
      > > > Have you also checked out Teplicska, which is near
      > > Spissa Nova Ves,
      > > >

      > > > Happy Hunting,
      > > >
      > > > Marilyn
      > > >

      > > > _____

      ______________How would you spend $50,000 to create a more
      sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and
      share your idea.