Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Introduction

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
      In a nutshell, the Byzantine (so called in the U.S.) or Greek (so called in
      Slovakia) Catholics were formerly part of the Orthodox faith, separated from
      Rome. They reunited with Rome several hundred years ago. When you search
      old church records, therefore, you will be looking in Greek Catholic parish
      records. I, on the other hand, have primarily Lutheran Slovak ancestors,
      and have been searching in Lutheran church records. The next step is to see
      if you can do this the "easy way" first. Go to www.familysearch.org -- the
      web site for the Family History Library run by the LDS. If you enter your
      people's home towns in the appropriate box, it should pull up the films
      available for them. If not, we have to go to step two. That involves (1)
      figuring out what the Hungarian names for these places were, prior to 1920;
      and (2) finding where the Greek Catholic records for that town or village
      are to be found. There is a special microfiche with this information that
      is usually available at your local Family History Center.

      For example, my people came from C~akanovce, but the Lutheran church records
      for that village are located in the nearby village of Rankovce, presumably
      where the Lutheran church was. I discovered this from an old family
      document. You might look through your material to see if there is a stamp
      or official seal of some kind with the name of a town on it, or anything
      else that tells where the actual church office was.

      The end result of all this effort is that, for $3.75, you can send away for
      a microfilm of those church records that will contain all the baptisms,
      marriages, and deaths -- confirmations too for Catholics. Sometimes you
      need more than one film. I found a ton of relatives going back to 1755, in
      about four microfilms. The films usually end around 1895 because the Slovak
      government did not allow the LDS to photocopy past that point, which was a
      hundred years ago at the time, for privacy reasons. The films contain
      information written by the parish priest or minister. These are photocopies
      of the actual books in which the priest or minister recorded the baptisms,
      marriages, etc. on a daily basis. Up to 1840 or so they are written in
      Latin, usually, and after 1840 in Hungarian, the official language at that
      time. Some of my data was written in Slovak dialect and some in Czech
      because that is what the minister used. When you get your film in, you will
      need some vocabulary sheets to help you translate the entries.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
        If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
        in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
        written in Hungarian.
        Happy Hunting!

        mark

        "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
        http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE
      • Brecosky
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
          Andrea:

          Thank you so much for the information. I'll go check out the family search
          site and see what I can find. Keep your fingers crossed!

          Anita B.
        • John
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
            At 06:27 PM 6/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
            >If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
            >in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
            >written in Hungarian.
            >Happy Hunting!
            >
            >mark

            In my case, the records for my mother's village were in Cyrillic only
            during the period from about 1847 to 1856. Before and after that they were
            in Hungarian but since there is a known format, and glossaries available
            for Hungarian terms used in the church registries, it isn't that daunting
            of a task. I do have to admit the cursive Cyrillic entries are challenging
            but with practice and a Cyrillic cursive and printed alphabet most can be
            made out. The notes, if any, can also be a challenge.

            Janko
          • Richard D. Custer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
              Hi Anita,

              Cigel'ka and Kurov are in northeast Slovakia northwest of the town of
              Bardejov. Kurov is just north of the Topl'a River, and Cigel'ka lies way
              north adjacent to the Slovakia/Poland border. They are both inhabited
              almost entirely by Rusyns [not Slovaks!], one of the main ethno-national
              minorities in Slovakia. The religion of these people is either
              Byzantine/Greek Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.

              >I do have Eva MESARC's parents names. They are Timothy MESARC and Sophia
              >VANIK. It is believed that Timothy MESARC's parents had the last names of
              >MESARC and ZACATANSKY. That is all the information I have on them.

              Timothy's surname would more accurately be Mesarc~ -- that is, the last
              letter is pronounced like "ch" in "church". His mother's surname would more
              accurately be Zakutjanskyj -- in old Hungarian-language documents, the name
              would probably appear as Zakutyanszky. In Slovakia today the name would
              probably be written Zakut'ansky.

              >My mother, who is still living, can speak and read/write some Slovak, so
              she
              >translated what documents we do have.

              If she learned the language from her parents, she does not read or write
              Slovak, but Rusyn. If she learned it in her Greek Catholic church in the
              USA, she would not have learned Slovak; the "Greek School" or "Russian
              School" as they were called basically taught Russian or a Russian-influenced
              Rusyn. The use and teaching of Slovak in these churches was completely
              unheard of.

              Here is some statistical data which may help you see the ethnic/religious
              context of these villages.

              Incidentally (well, that depends...), the people of "Cigel'ka" call the
              village Cigolka in their own language.

              (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

              village: Cigolka, okres Bardejov

              Total Population: 525

              NATIONALITY

              Czechoslovak: 36 citizens
              Rusyn: 434 citizens
              Germans: 0 citizens
              Hungarians: 2 citizens
              Jews: 8 citizens
              Others: 33 citizens
              Foreigners: 12 citizens

              RELIGION

              Roman Catholic: 41 citizens
              Greek Catholic: 472 citizens
              Protestant: 0 citizens
              Orthodox: 0 citizens
              Hebrew: 12 citizens
              Other: 0 citizens

              The people of "Kurov" call the village Kuriv in their own language. Today
              they have a well-known folk ensemble in the village, called "Kurivc~an"
              which performs every year at the Rusyn/Ukrainian folk festivals in Svidnik,
              Kamienka, and others.

              (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

              village: Kuriv, okres Bardejov

              Total Population: 603

              NATIONALITY

              Czechoslovak: 37 citizens
              Rusyn: 552 citizens
              Germans: 0 citizens
              Hungarians: 0 citizens
              Jews: 4 citizens
              Others: 8 citizens
              Foreigners: 2 citizens

              RELIGION

              Roman Catholic: 56 citizens
              Greek Catholic: 528 citizens
              Protestant: 3 citizens
              Orthodox: 0 citizens
              Hebrew: 11 citizens
              Other: 5 citizens

              This map segment shows the area around Cigolka/Cigel'ka and Kuriv/Kurov -
              just a few km away:
              http://lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg70.html

              Records from Cigel'ka and Kurov are available from the LDS Family History
              centers; the film numbers and information is here:
              http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm

              More information on Rusyns is at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org ,
              http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs (the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, which would
              probably open up a whole new world for you on its own), etc. Also, a great
              map & excellent books at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc include the
              indispensible & essential reference, _Our People: Carpatho-Rusyns and Their
              Descendants in North America_ by Paul R. Magocsi.

              Good luck!

              Rich Custer
            • jallen50
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                Andrea: Is there a master of any of these "vocabulary sheets" anywhere on
                the web? My grandmother was determined to learn and improve her
                English...and only taught me very few Slovak words... I regret now that we
                didn't do more of a trade...an English lesson for a Slovak lesson!

                > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                >
                > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                Millenium.
                > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                > appreciated.
                >
                > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                >

                > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                > speaks
                > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                explain
                > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                were.

                > > Andrea

                > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                Old school buds here:
                http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                  No, they are scattered here and there. A lot of us print them out and shlep
                  them around with us. I printed three different Hungarian genealogical word
                  lists and still use an on-line dictionary to figure things out.

                  If others can't jump in, post me privately and I will look around for some
                  materials for you -- but not today because I am working against a deadline!

                  > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                  > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                  > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                  > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                  > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                  >
                  > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                  > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                  > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                  Millenium.
                  > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                  > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                  > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                  > appreciated.
                  >
                  > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                  >

                  > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                  > speaks
                  > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                  > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                  explain
                  > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                  were.

                  > > Andrea

                  > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                  > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                  > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                  Old school buds here:
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                  How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                  or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                  fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/
                • jallen50
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Thanks, Andrea! I can use any help I can get! I've learned a lot from
                    Slovak-Roots. I'm so glad one of your other members told me about all of
                    you! I really was afraid when I started tracing my family that I would not
                    be able to get anywhere...the language barrier for one thing! You've helped
                    me to see it is quite possible that I will be able to get info from
                    Slovakia, but that I may actually be able to find family that was left
                    behind!
                    JuneA

                    > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                    > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                    > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                    > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                    > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                    >
                    > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                    > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                    > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                    Millenium.
                    > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                    > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                    > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                    > appreciated.
                    >
                    > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                    >

                    > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                    > speaks
                    > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                    > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                    explain
                    > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                    were.

                    > > Andrea

                    > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                    > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                    > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                    Old school buds here:
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                    How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                    or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                    fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/

                    Everyday Is Kid's Day
                    Dad Only Has One
                    Click Here To Make It Special
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/5038/0/_/545880/_/960335078/
                  • Brecosky
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                      Rich:

                      I would never have imagined (even in my wildest dreams) that someone would
                      come along and be so very, very helpful to me in researching my family tree.
                      I don't know how to thank you enough for all the information you have given
                      me in just one post! THANK YOU! (Gee, I hope no one thinks that's someone's
                      surname...LOL!)

                      I will print your entire post and read it to my mother tomorrow when I see
                      her. I am going to see if I can get some decent print outs of the maps you
                      suggested.

                      Again, thank you so very much.

                      Anita B.
                    • Richard D. Custer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                        Wow, Anita -- you're making me blush!

                        Really, I have a lot of data here & it is my pleasure to help. (You may
                        detect some agenda on my part, mostly it's to educate people about who
                        Rusyns are since so many of our people in the USA have only a vague
                        understanding of their origin & ethnic background.) You will find that
                        Rusyns (or whatever name they prefer -- you will see how many there are) are
                        certainly a "colorful" group, just the name issues alone will keep you
                        hopping.

                        By the way, were your maternal immigrant ancestors (grandparents?) living in
                        Pittsburgh? I think there were people from Cigolka in south side, St.
                        John's Byz. Cath. Church, and I think some on north side (Holy Ghost
                        B.C.C./St. John's Carpatho-Russian Orthodox churches). I think also down in
                        New Salem near Uniontown -- there were definitely Zakutansky's there. Kuriv
                        people I'd guess would be on south side too, but the largest # in PA I know
                        of lived in Cambria County: South Fork & Beaverdale -- between Johnstown &
                        Altoona.

                        Best wishes to you -- I'd be glad to help if you have other questions.

                        Rich Custer

                        p.s. to get an idea about the Rusyn/Rusin/Carpatho-Russian, etc. "name
                        game", try this article:
                        http://lemko.org/lih/slivka.html
                        Who are we? Rusin, Russian, Ruthenian, Slovak? by Father John Slivka (1977)