Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Introduction

  • Brecosky
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
      Andrea:

      We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
      were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
      Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
      because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
      different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.

      I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
      the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
      bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations Millenium.
      I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
      started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
      far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)

      > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
      speaks
      > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
      > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to explain
      > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people were.
      >
      > Andrea
    • Brecosky
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
        June:

        I don't have any information on John BLISHOK's parents. Or any on him
        (other than name) except that he was born in A-H. I don't know when he came
        to Pennsylvania, but I guess he could have come through NY. I'm not
        sure...I'll have to see if this might 'ring a bell' with my mother, as my
        father just passed away this February, and I am relying solely on her
        memories. I do think we have relatives of some kind in NY state, but I'm
        not certain where or who. I'll have to ask her that as well.

        Thank you so much for the offer though. I'll have to let you know.

        Anita B.

        P.S. Does this group use the tag-lines which list and surnames in it? I
        don't want to add one to my posts if it's not acceptable form.

        > I, too, am new at this! I sent away for an SS-5 for a Joseph Brna,
        thinking
        > it was my grandfather. It was not. The Joseph Brna whose SS-5 I have was
        > born April 2, 1893, and died August 1943. His mother's maiden name was
        Mary
        > Bliska. He was born in "Czechoslovakia" (not much help, but that is what
        is
        > on the form!). I noticed the spelling of the last name is close to John
        > BLISHOK. Could this a relative? He lived in Port Chester, New York. I will
        > gladly forward it to you if you have need.
        >
        > JuneA
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
          In a nutshell, the Byzantine (so called in the U.S.) or Greek (so called in
          Slovakia) Catholics were formerly part of the Orthodox faith, separated from
          Rome. They reunited with Rome several hundred years ago. When you search
          old church records, therefore, you will be looking in Greek Catholic parish
          records. I, on the other hand, have primarily Lutheran Slovak ancestors,
          and have been searching in Lutheran church records. The next step is to see
          if you can do this the "easy way" first. Go to www.familysearch.org -- the
          web site for the Family History Library run by the LDS. If you enter your
          people's home towns in the appropriate box, it should pull up the films
          available for them. If not, we have to go to step two. That involves (1)
          figuring out what the Hungarian names for these places were, prior to 1920;
          and (2) finding where the Greek Catholic records for that town or village
          are to be found. There is a special microfiche with this information that
          is usually available at your local Family History Center.

          For example, my people came from C~akanovce, but the Lutheran church records
          for that village are located in the nearby village of Rankovce, presumably
          where the Lutheran church was. I discovered this from an old family
          document. You might look through your material to see if there is a stamp
          or official seal of some kind with the name of a town on it, or anything
          else that tells where the actual church office was.

          The end result of all this effort is that, for $3.75, you can send away for
          a microfilm of those church records that will contain all the baptisms,
          marriages, and deaths -- confirmations too for Catholics. Sometimes you
          need more than one film. I found a ton of relatives going back to 1755, in
          about four microfilms. The films usually end around 1895 because the Slovak
          government did not allow the LDS to photocopy past that point, which was a
          hundred years ago at the time, for privacy reasons. The films contain
          information written by the parish priest or minister. These are photocopies
          of the actual books in which the priest or minister recorded the baptisms,
          marriages, etc. on a daily basis. Up to 1840 or so they are written in
          Latin, usually, and after 1840 in Hungarian, the official language at that
          time. Some of my data was written in Slovak dialect and some in Czech
          because that is what the minister used. When you get your film in, you will
          need some vocabulary sheets to help you translate the entries.

        • mjesko@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
            If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
            in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
            written in Hungarian.
            Happy Hunting!

            mark

            "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
            http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE
          • Brecosky
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
              Andrea:

              Thank you so much for the information. I'll go check out the family search
              site and see what I can find. Keep your fingers crossed!

              Anita B.
            • John
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                At 06:27 PM 6/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
                >If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
                >in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
                >written in Hungarian.
                >Happy Hunting!
                >
                >mark

                In my case, the records for my mother's village were in Cyrillic only
                during the period from about 1847 to 1856. Before and after that they were
                in Hungarian but since there is a known format, and glossaries available
                for Hungarian terms used in the church registries, it isn't that daunting
                of a task. I do have to admit the cursive Cyrillic entries are challenging
                but with practice and a Cyrillic cursive and printed alphabet most can be
                made out. The notes, if any, can also be a challenge.

                Janko
              • Richard D. Custer
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                  Hi Anita,

                  Cigel'ka and Kurov are in northeast Slovakia northwest of the town of
                  Bardejov. Kurov is just north of the Topl'a River, and Cigel'ka lies way
                  north adjacent to the Slovakia/Poland border. They are both inhabited
                  almost entirely by Rusyns [not Slovaks!], one of the main ethno-national
                  minorities in Slovakia. The religion of these people is either
                  Byzantine/Greek Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.

                  >I do have Eva MESARC's parents names. They are Timothy MESARC and Sophia
                  >VANIK. It is believed that Timothy MESARC's parents had the last names of
                  >MESARC and ZACATANSKY. That is all the information I have on them.

                  Timothy's surname would more accurately be Mesarc~ -- that is, the last
                  letter is pronounced like "ch" in "church". His mother's surname would more
                  accurately be Zakutjanskyj -- in old Hungarian-language documents, the name
                  would probably appear as Zakutyanszky. In Slovakia today the name would
                  probably be written Zakut'ansky.

                  >My mother, who is still living, can speak and read/write some Slovak, so
                  she
                  >translated what documents we do have.

                  If she learned the language from her parents, she does not read or write
                  Slovak, but Rusyn. If she learned it in her Greek Catholic church in the
                  USA, she would not have learned Slovak; the "Greek School" or "Russian
                  School" as they were called basically taught Russian or a Russian-influenced
                  Rusyn. The use and teaching of Slovak in these churches was completely
                  unheard of.

                  Here is some statistical data which may help you see the ethnic/religious
                  context of these villages.

                  Incidentally (well, that depends...), the people of "Cigel'ka" call the
                  village Cigolka in their own language.

                  (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

                  village: Cigolka, okres Bardejov

                  Total Population: 525

                  NATIONALITY

                  Czechoslovak: 36 citizens
                  Rusyn: 434 citizens
                  Germans: 0 citizens
                  Hungarians: 2 citizens
                  Jews: 8 citizens
                  Others: 33 citizens
                  Foreigners: 12 citizens

                  RELIGION

                  Roman Catholic: 41 citizens
                  Greek Catholic: 472 citizens
                  Protestant: 0 citizens
                  Orthodox: 0 citizens
                  Hebrew: 12 citizens
                  Other: 0 citizens

                  The people of "Kurov" call the village Kuriv in their own language. Today
                  they have a well-known folk ensemble in the village, called "Kurivc~an"
                  which performs every year at the Rusyn/Ukrainian folk festivals in Svidnik,
                  Kamienka, and others.

                  (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

                  village: Kuriv, okres Bardejov

                  Total Population: 603

                  NATIONALITY

                  Czechoslovak: 37 citizens
                  Rusyn: 552 citizens
                  Germans: 0 citizens
                  Hungarians: 0 citizens
                  Jews: 4 citizens
                  Others: 8 citizens
                  Foreigners: 2 citizens

                  RELIGION

                  Roman Catholic: 56 citizens
                  Greek Catholic: 528 citizens
                  Protestant: 3 citizens
                  Orthodox: 0 citizens
                  Hebrew: 11 citizens
                  Other: 5 citizens

                  This map segment shows the area around Cigolka/Cigel'ka and Kuriv/Kurov -
                  just a few km away:
                  http://lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg70.html

                  Records from Cigel'ka and Kurov are available from the LDS Family History
                  centers; the film numbers and information is here:
                  http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm

                  More information on Rusyns is at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org ,
                  http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs (the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, which would
                  probably open up a whole new world for you on its own), etc. Also, a great
                  map & excellent books at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc include the
                  indispensible & essential reference, _Our People: Carpatho-Rusyns and Their
                  Descendants in North America_ by Paul R. Magocsi.

                  Good luck!

                  Rich Custer
                • jallen50
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Andrea: Is there a master of any of these "vocabulary sheets" anywhere on
                    the web? My grandmother was determined to learn and improve her
                    English...and only taught me very few Slovak words... I regret now that we
                    didn't do more of a trade...an English lesson for a Slovak lesson!

                    > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                    > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                    > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                    > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                    > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                    >
                    > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                    > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                    > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                    Millenium.
                    > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                    > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                    > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                    > appreciated.
                    >
                    > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                    >

                    > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                    > speaks
                    > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                    > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                    explain
                    > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                    were.

                    > > Andrea

                    > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                    > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                    > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                    Old school buds here:
                    http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/
                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                      No, they are scattered here and there. A lot of us print them out and shlep
                      them around with us. I printed three different Hungarian genealogical word
                      lists and still use an on-line dictionary to figure things out.

                      If others can't jump in, post me privately and I will look around for some
                      materials for you -- but not today because I am working against a deadline!

                      > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                      > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                      > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                      > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                      > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                      >
                      > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                      > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                      > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                      Millenium.
                      > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                      > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                      > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                      > appreciated.
                      >
                      > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                      >

                      > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                      > speaks
                      > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                      > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                      explain
                      > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                      were.

                      > > Andrea

                      > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                      > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                      > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                      Old school buds here:
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                      How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                      or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                      fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/
                    • jallen50
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                        Thanks, Andrea! I can use any help I can get! I've learned a lot from
                        Slovak-Roots. I'm so glad one of your other members told me about all of
                        you! I really was afraid when I started tracing my family that I would not
                        be able to get anywhere...the language barrier for one thing! You've helped
                        me to see it is quite possible that I will be able to get info from
                        Slovakia, but that I may actually be able to find family that was left
                        behind!
                        JuneA

                        > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                        > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                        > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                        > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                        > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                        >
                        > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                        > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                        > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                        Millenium.
                        > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                        > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                        > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                        > appreciated.
                        >
                        > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                        >

                        > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                        > speaks
                        > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                        > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                        explain
                        > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                        were.

                        > > Andrea

                        > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                        > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                        > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                        Old school buds here:
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                        How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                        or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                        fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/

                        Everyday Is Kid's Day
                        Dad Only Has One
                        Click Here To Make It Special
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/5038/0/_/545880/_/960335078/
                      • Brecosky
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                          Rich:

                          I would never have imagined (even in my wildest dreams) that someone would
                          come along and be so very, very helpful to me in researching my family tree.
                          I don't know how to thank you enough for all the information you have given
                          me in just one post! THANK YOU! (Gee, I hope no one thinks that's someone's
                          surname...LOL!)

                          I will print your entire post and read it to my mother tomorrow when I see
                          her. I am going to see if I can get some decent print outs of the maps you
                          suggested.

                          Again, thank you so very much.

                          Anita B.
                        • Richard D. Custer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                            Wow, Anita -- you're making me blush!

                            Really, I have a lot of data here & it is my pleasure to help. (You may
                            detect some agenda on my part, mostly it's to educate people about who
                            Rusyns are since so many of our people in the USA have only a vague
                            understanding of their origin & ethnic background.) You will find that
                            Rusyns (or whatever name they prefer -- you will see how many there are) are
                            certainly a "colorful" group, just the name issues alone will keep you
                            hopping.

                            By the way, were your maternal immigrant ancestors (grandparents?) living in
                            Pittsburgh? I think there were people from Cigolka in south side, St.
                            John's Byz. Cath. Church, and I think some on north side (Holy Ghost
                            B.C.C./St. John's Carpatho-Russian Orthodox churches). I think also down in
                            New Salem near Uniontown -- there were definitely Zakutansky's there. Kuriv
                            people I'd guess would be on south side too, but the largest # in PA I know
                            of lived in Cambria County: South Fork & Beaverdale -- between Johnstown &
                            Altoona.

                            Best wishes to you -- I'd be glad to help if you have other questions.

                            Rich Custer

                            p.s. to get an idea about the Rusyn/Rusin/Carpatho-Russian, etc. "name
                            game", try this article:
                            http://lemko.org/lih/slivka.html
                            Who are we? Rusin, Russian, Ruthenian, Slovak? by Father John Slivka (1977)