Original home village

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2007
      I have traced my family to several villages in the former Gomor
      County. The earliest family records begin around 1790 in a village
      named Suvette (now called Sivetice, SK). All subsequent family
      members trace back to just one couple named Michael Kotlarcik and
      Susanna Dantsik. The death records for their sons in 1835 and 1837
      indicate that while the family resided in Suvette, they originally
      came from somewhere else. The church documents are written in Latin
      and appear to name the original home village. One document says it
      was "Teplitska" but also has additional words that I cannot
      translate. The other document has the word "advena" which is Latin
      for foreigner. I am hoping that someone in this group might be able
      to translate the other part of the sentence or recognize the village
      name. I have identified two villages north of Suvette that were
      called Teplicska. One is in the former Lipto County and the other is
      in Szepes County. Neither one has a Lutheran Church and a check of
      the RC records did not reveal anyone with the names of Kotlarcik or
      Dantsik. I have posted clippings of the documents in the files
      section of this forum under the title: "Original home village". I
      would be very grateful for any assistance in translating the Latin
      statements in this file.
      Thanks for the help,
      Carl Kotlarchik
    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 13 , May 27, 2007
        It is probably bad form to answer your own posting but I think I may
        have translated some more of the document. I believe the part that
        says:
        "advena, vigil Suvette infi a multis annis hic habitans" translates as
        advena = foreigner
        vigil = ???
        Suvette = town name
        infi = infancy
        a = ???
        multis = many
        hic = here
        habitans = resident
        So, I think it says that Stephan was a foreigner but came to Suvette
        as a child and was a resident there for many years. I am still
        confused about the part that says "originis Sapup infi Suvette". I
        think it may mean born in Sapup, childhood in Suvette. The word that
        looks like "Sapup" has a capital "S", so that is why I think this may
        be the birth village. Stephan's brother's record also has this word
        along with Teplitska. I have searched and searched but I don't find
        anything named Teplitska Sapup or anything even close. Any thoughts
        would be much appreciated.
        Carl

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik" <kkotlarc@...>
        wrote:

        > I have traced my family to several villages in the former Gomor
        > County. The earliest family records begin around 1790 in a village
        > named Suvette (now called Sivetice, SK). All subsequent family
        > members trace back to just one couple named Michael Kotlarcik and
        > Susanna Dantsik. The death records for their sons in 1835 and 1837
        > indicate that while the family resided in Suvette, they originally
        > came from somewhere else. The church documents are written in
        Latin
        > and appear to name the original home village. One document says it
        > was "Teplitska" but also has additional words that I cannot
        > translate. The other document has the word "advena" which is Latin
        > for foreigner. I am hoping that someone in this group might be
        able
        > to translate the other part of the sentence or recognize the
        village
        > name. I have identified two villages north of Suvette that were
        > called Teplicska. One is in the former Lipto County and the other
        is
        > in Szepes County. Neither one has a Lutheran Church and a check of
        > the RC records did not reveal anyone with the names of Kotlarcik or
        > Dantsik. I have posted clippings of the documents in the files
        > section of this forum under the title: "Original home village". I
        > would be very grateful for any assistance in translating the Latin
        > statements in this file.
        > Thanks for the help,
        > Carl Kotlarchik

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 13 , May 27, 2007
          Dear Carl,

          I have looked at your scans and you really do have some detective work to
          do. However, what you are reading as "infi" is the Latin suffix for place
          names, "iensis." It doesn't have anything to do with infancy. It looks like
          Sapusiensis or Sapussiensis to me, but I cannot find any place with a name
          like this either. (You have to be careful with that old-fashioned "s"
          letter.)

          I hope someone has better luck than we have found.

          Janet

          _____

          wrote:

          > I have traced my family to several villages in the former Gomor
          > County. The earliest family records begin around 1790 in a village
          > named Suvette (now called Sivetice, SK). All subsequent family
          > members trace back to just one couple named Michael Kotlarcik and
          > Susanna Dantsik. The death records for their sons in 1835 and 1837
          > indicate that while the family resided in Suvette, they originally
          > came from somewhere else. The church documents are written in
          Latin
          > and appear to name the original home village. One document says it
          > was "Teplitska" but also has additional words that I cannot
          > translate. The other document has the word "advena" which is Latin
          > for foreigner. I am hoping that someone in this group might be
          able
          > to translate the other part of the sentence or recognize the
          village
          > name. I have identified two villages north of Suvette that were
          > called Teplicska. One is in the former Lipto County and the other
          is
          > in Szepes County. Neither one has a Lutheran Church and a check of
          > the RC records did not reveal anyone with the names of Kotlarcik or
          > Dantsik. I have posted clippings of the documents in the files
          > section of this forum under the title: "Original home village". I
          > would be very grateful for any assistance in translating the Latin
          > statements in this file.
          > Thanks for the help,
          > Carl Kotlarchik

        • Carl Kotlarchik
          Message 4 of 13 , May 27, 2007
            Thank you very much Janet. That makes more sense. Another person
            has also suggested that the "sapu" might actually be "Scepu" so
            maybe it is Scepusiensis or Scepussiensis. Do you have any idea what
            the word vigil might mean in this context?
            thanks again,
            Carl

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...>

            ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2007
              Carl:

              The Latin suffix -ENSIS essentially means "belonging to" or and is used to
              denote a place of origin. If you use a GOOGLE.COM search for ENSIS and LATIN,
              you will find fuller explanations. If there is an "I" preceding the "E" it
              is often because the root word or its related declension ended in an "I." It
              often shows up in botanical context and may refer to a whole country such as
              CANADENSIS meaning "belonging to Canada, but in the context of the church, I
              believe that Joyce is right in that it would probably not refer to a whole
              country, but a particular locale. If my memory serves me right, even when I
              have seen GALICIA in the church records, there was often a village name
              attached as well. Carl, you may want to try the first few letters of the word, and
              try it in several different databases. I will often use ARCANUM (access it
              through Bill Tarkulich's website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) )
              with the first few letters of the word and the wildcard asterisk, and then add
              letters to narrow it down if necessary. This method has helped me in many
              instances to find the name of a village that I was unfamiliar with. In
              addition, I often use the FUZZY GAZETTEER to find modern place names, when the
              exact spelling may not be known. As with ARCANUM, sometimes less letters yields
              more results in the FUZZY GAZETTEER.

              _http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/_
              (http://tomcat-dmaweb1.jrc.it/fuzzyg/query/)

              I hope this helps a little. In addition, you may check different first
              letters -- such as an L instead of an S.

              Best regards,

              David

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                Carl, I don't have a clue about "vigil." I know that one of the problems
                with these Latin records is that the priests used what is sometimes called
                "kitchen Latin," meaning that they weren't too good at it and made a lot of
                mistakes. The only thing I can think of for "Sepus" is Szepes megye, but
                that seems to be an awfully big stretch, and I don't think they would use
                "iensis" for a whole county.

                I do hope someone more knowledgeable will take a look at it.

                Janet

              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                  At 02:30 PM 5/27/2007, you wrote:
                  >Do you have any idea what
                  >the word vigil might mean in this context?

                  In classical Latin it can mean "a guard" (noun, not verb). Someone
                  such as Vladimir Bohinc, who has written about occupation words in
                  Slovak records before, might be able to tell you if it occurs and
                  means that with any regularity.

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • Marilyn Hertenstein
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                    Perhaps the vigil is abbreviated (as Stephen is abbreviated to Steph), and
                    is actually
                    vigilo -are: intransit to keep awake, watch; to be vigilant, watchful,
                    careful; transit. in pass., to be watched through, watched over. Pres.
                    partic. vigilans -antis, watchful, vigilant; adv. vigilanter. Maybe he
                    was in transit from Suvete.

                    Unless it was his occupation, thereby being:

                    vigil -ilis, wakeful, watchful; m. as subst. a watchman.

                    Have you also checked out Teplicska, which is near Spissa Nova Ves,

                    Happy Hunting,

                    Marilyn

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 28, 2007
                      And what if it is Spisska Teplica?
                      Vladimir

                      _____

                      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                      yahoogroups.com] On
                      Behalf Of Carl Kotlarchik
                      Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:36 AM
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

                      wrote:

                      > I have traced my family to several villages in the former Gomor
                      > County. The earliest family records begin around 1790 in a village
                      > named Suvette (now called Sivetice, SK). All subsequent family
                      > members trace back to just one couple named Michael Kotlarcik and
                      > Susanna Dantsik. The death records for their sons in 1835 and 1837
                      > indicate that while the family resided in Suvette, they originally
                      > came from somewhere else. The church documents are written in
                      Latin
                      > and appear to name the original home village. One document says it
                      > was "Teplitska" but also has additional words that I cannot
                      > translate. The other document has the word "advena" which is Latin
                      > for foreigner. I am hoping that someone in this group might be
                      able
                      > to translate the other part of the sentence or recognize the
                      village
                      > name. I have identified two villages north of Suvette that were
                      > called Teplicska. One is in the former Lipto County and the other
                      is
                      > in Szepes County. Neither one has a Lutheran Church and a check of
                      > the RC records did not reveal anyone with the names of Kotlarcik or
                      > Dantsik. I have posted clippings of the documents in the files
                      > section of this forum under the title: "Original home village". I
                      > would be very grateful for any assistance in translating the Latin
                      > statements in this file.
                      > Thanks for the help,
                      > Carl Kotlarchik

                    • Carl Kotlarchik
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 28, 2007
                        Thanks Marilyn,
                        I have checked the RC Church records for the Teplicka near Ves
                        Spisska Nova in the former Szepes County but did not find anyone with
                        the Kotlarcik or Dantsik names listed. There is also another village
                        named Teplicka in the former Lipto County which I have not yet
                        researched. But it too only has a RC Church. I have only found
                        records for my family in Lutheran Church records. However, I do know
                        that the Catholic Church did sometimes keep the records for other
                        denominations. If I could only figure out the other word, I'd have a
                        better chance finding the correct location.
                        thanks again,
                        Carl

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Marilyn Hertenstein"
                        <mjhertenstein@...> wrote:

                        > Perhaps the vigil is abbreviated (as Stephen is abbreviated to
                        Steph), and
                        > is actually
                        > vigilo -are: intransit to keep awake, watch; to be vigilant,
                        watchful,
                        > careful; transit. in pass., to be watched through, watched over.
                        Pres.
                        > partic. vigilans -antis, watchful, vigilant; adv. vigilanter.
                        Maybe he
                        > was in transit from Suvete.
                        >
                        > Unless it was his occupation, thereby being:
                        >
                        > vigil -ilis, wakeful, watchful; m. as subst. a watchman.
                        >
                        > Have you also checked out Teplicska, which is near Spissa Nova Ves,
                        >

                        > Happy Hunting,
                        >
                        > Marilyn
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Carl Kotlarchik
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 28, 2007
                          Thanks Julie. This sure is a puzzle.
                          Carl
                        • Alan Antoska
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 28, 2007
                            Karl,
                            I have had a look at your uploaded file but do not have an
                            answer. However, some observations.

                            Your scribe spelt 'Dantsik'; my scribe wrote 'Dancik' (or
                            'Danc'ik') from about 1850 onwards.
                            Slovak is a phonetic language and to my ear, I would not be
                            able to tell the difference.

                            I have over 65 Dancik's in my database. All Lutheran.
                            Predominately from the village of Trstené, Liptov abt 4klm
                            N of Liptovsky Mikulas and about 45klm NW of Liptovska
                            Teplicka. I do not suspect a connection to your clan.

                            However, the first Dancik occurence in my extractions
                            appears to be 1810, a marriage of Martinus Dantsik (same as
                            your spelling) from Nadasfalva and Susanna Danko. This
                            appears to be a late arrival of this name in this area
                            hence my guess that they too came from somewhere else.

                            Good luck.

                            ____________________________________________________________________________________How would you spend $50,000 to create a more sustainable environment in Australia? Go to Yahoo!7 Answers and share your idea.
                            http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/aunz/lifestyle/answers/y7ans-babp_reg.html
                          • Carl Kotlarchik
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 28, 2007
                              Hi Alan,
                              Yes, many of my family surnames appear with "ts" spellings in the
                              late 1700s and early 1800s. Then they change in the mid 1800s to
                              a "C" with a diacritic carot over it (slavish spellings). Finally,
                              they change to the Hungarian spelling of "cs" in the late 1800s. I
                              believe all are pronounced phonetically like the English "ch" sound.
                              Carl

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Alan Antoska <aantoska@...>