Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Introduction

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
      Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who speaks
      Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
      Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to explain
      the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people were.

      Andrea

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
        Andrea:

        We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
        were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
        Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
        because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
        different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.

        I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
        the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
        bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations Millenium.
        I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
        started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
        far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
        appreciated.

        Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)

        > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
        speaks
        > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
        > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to explain
        > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people were.
        >
        > Andrea
      • Brecosky
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
          June:

          I don't have any information on John BLISHOK's parents. Or any on him
          (other than name) except that he was born in A-H. I don't know when he came
          to Pennsylvania, but I guess he could have come through NY. I'm not
          sure...I'll have to see if this might 'ring a bell' with my mother, as my
          father just passed away this February, and I am relying solely on her
          memories. I do think we have relatives of some kind in NY state, but I'm
          not certain where or who. I'll have to ask her that as well.

          Thank you so much for the offer though. I'll have to let you know.

          Anita B.

          P.S. Does this group use the tag-lines which list and surnames in it? I
          don't want to add one to my posts if it's not acceptable form.

          > I, too, am new at this! I sent away for an SS-5 for a Joseph Brna,
          thinking
          > it was my grandfather. It was not. The Joseph Brna whose SS-5 I have was
          > born April 2, 1893, and died August 1943. His mother's maiden name was
          Mary
          > Bliska. He was born in "Czechoslovakia" (not much help, but that is what
          is
          > on the form!). I noticed the spelling of the last name is close to John
          > BLISHOK. Could this a relative? He lived in Port Chester, New York. I will
          > gladly forward it to you if you have need.
          >
          > JuneA
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
            In a nutshell, the Byzantine (so called in the U.S.) or Greek (so called in
            Slovakia) Catholics were formerly part of the Orthodox faith, separated from
            Rome. They reunited with Rome several hundred years ago. When you search
            old church records, therefore, you will be looking in Greek Catholic parish
            records. I, on the other hand, have primarily Lutheran Slovak ancestors,
            and have been searching in Lutheran church records. The next step is to see
            if you can do this the "easy way" first. Go to www.familysearch.org -- the
            web site for the Family History Library run by the LDS. If you enter your
            people's home towns in the appropriate box, it should pull up the films
            available for them. If not, we have to go to step two. That involves (1)
            figuring out what the Hungarian names for these places were, prior to 1920;
            and (2) finding where the Greek Catholic records for that town or village
            are to be found. There is a special microfiche with this information that
            is usually available at your local Family History Center.

            For example, my people came from C~akanovce, but the Lutheran church records
            for that village are located in the nearby village of Rankovce, presumably
            where the Lutheran church was. I discovered this from an old family
            document. You might look through your material to see if there is a stamp
            or official seal of some kind with the name of a town on it, or anything
            else that tells where the actual church office was.

            The end result of all this effort is that, for $3.75, you can send away for
            a microfilm of those church records that will contain all the baptisms,
            marriages, and deaths -- confirmations too for Catholics. Sometimes you
            need more than one film. I found a ton of relatives going back to 1755, in
            about four microfilms. The films usually end around 1895 because the Slovak
            government did not allow the LDS to photocopy past that point, which was a
            hundred years ago at the time, for privacy reasons. The films contain
            information written by the parish priest or minister. These are photocopies
            of the actual books in which the priest or minister recorded the baptisms,
            marriages, etc. on a daily basis. Up to 1840 or so they are written in
            Latin, usually, and after 1840 in Hungarian, the official language at that
            time. Some of my data was written in Slovak dialect and some in Czech
            because that is what the minister used. When you get your film in, you will
            need some vocabulary sheets to help you translate the entries.

          • mjesko@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
              If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
              in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
              written in Hungarian.
              Happy Hunting!

              mark

              "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
              http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE
            • Brecosky
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                Andrea:

                Thank you so much for the information. I'll go check out the family search
                site and see what I can find. Keep your fingers crossed!

                Anita B.
              • John
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                  At 06:27 PM 6/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
                  >If your records are from a Greek Catholic village they will be written
                  >in Ruszyn using the Cyrillic alphabet. After 1840 or so they were
                  >written in Hungarian.
                  >Happy Hunting!
                  >
                  >mark

                  In my case, the records for my mother's village were in Cyrillic only
                  during the period from about 1847 to 1856. Before and after that they were
                  in Hungarian but since there is a known format, and glossaries available
                  for Hungarian terms used in the church registries, it isn't that daunting
                  of a task. I do have to admit the cursive Cyrillic entries are challenging
                  but with practice and a Cyrillic cursive and printed alphabet most can be
                  made out. The notes, if any, can also be a challenge.

                  Janko
                • Richard D. Custer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Hi Anita,

                    Cigel'ka and Kurov are in northeast Slovakia northwest of the town of
                    Bardejov. Kurov is just north of the Topl'a River, and Cigel'ka lies way
                    north adjacent to the Slovakia/Poland border. They are both inhabited
                    almost entirely by Rusyns [not Slovaks!], one of the main ethno-national
                    minorities in Slovakia. The religion of these people is either
                    Byzantine/Greek Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.

                    >I do have Eva MESARC's parents names. They are Timothy MESARC and Sophia
                    >VANIK. It is believed that Timothy MESARC's parents had the last names of
                    >MESARC and ZACATANSKY. That is all the information I have on them.

                    Timothy's surname would more accurately be Mesarc~ -- that is, the last
                    letter is pronounced like "ch" in "church". His mother's surname would more
                    accurately be Zakutjanskyj -- in old Hungarian-language documents, the name
                    would probably appear as Zakutyanszky. In Slovakia today the name would
                    probably be written Zakut'ansky.

                    >My mother, who is still living, can speak and read/write some Slovak, so
                    she
                    >translated what documents we do have.

                    If she learned the language from her parents, she does not read or write
                    Slovak, but Rusyn. If she learned it in her Greek Catholic church in the
                    USA, she would not have learned Slovak; the "Greek School" or "Russian
                    School" as they were called basically taught Russian or a Russian-influenced
                    Rusyn. The use and teaching of Slovak in these churches was completely
                    unheard of.

                    Here is some statistical data which may help you see the ethnic/religious
                    context of these villages.

                    Incidentally (well, that depends...), the people of "Cigel'ka" call the
                    village Cigolka in their own language.

                    (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

                    village: Cigolka, okres Bardejov

                    Total Population: 525

                    NATIONALITY

                    Czechoslovak: 36 citizens
                    Rusyn: 434 citizens
                    Germans: 0 citizens
                    Hungarians: 2 citizens
                    Jews: 8 citizens
                    Others: 33 citizens
                    Foreigners: 12 citizens

                    RELIGION

                    Roman Catholic: 41 citizens
                    Greek Catholic: 472 citizens
                    Protestant: 0 citizens
                    Orthodox: 0 citizens
                    Hebrew: 12 citizens
                    Other: 0 citizens

                    The people of "Kurov" call the village Kuriv in their own language. Today
                    they have a well-known folk ensemble in the village, called "Kurivc~an"
                    which performs every year at the Rusyn/Ukrainian folk festivals in Svidnik,
                    Kamienka, and others.

                    (from 1930 Census of Czechoslovakia)

                    village: Kuriv, okres Bardejov

                    Total Population: 603

                    NATIONALITY

                    Czechoslovak: 37 citizens
                    Rusyn: 552 citizens
                    Germans: 0 citizens
                    Hungarians: 0 citizens
                    Jews: 4 citizens
                    Others: 8 citizens
                    Foreigners: 2 citizens

                    RELIGION

                    Roman Catholic: 56 citizens
                    Greek Catholic: 528 citizens
                    Protestant: 3 citizens
                    Orthodox: 0 citizens
                    Hebrew: 11 citizens
                    Other: 5 citizens

                    This map segment shows the area around Cigolka/Cigel'ka and Kuriv/Kurov -
                    just a few km away:
                    http://lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg70.html

                    Records from Cigel'ka and Kurov are available from the LDS Family History
                    centers; the film numbers and information is here:
                    http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/films2.htm

                    More information on Rusyns is at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org ,
                    http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crs (the Carpatho-Rusyn Society, which would
                    probably open up a whole new world for you on its own), etc. Also, a great
                    map & excellent books at http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc include the
                    indispensible & essential reference, _Our People: Carpatho-Rusyns and Their
                    Descendants in North America_ by Paul R. Magocsi.

                    Good luck!

                    Rich Custer
                  • jallen50
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                      Andrea: Is there a master of any of these "vocabulary sheets" anywhere on
                      the web? My grandmother was determined to learn and improve her
                      English...and only taught me very few Slovak words... I regret now that we
                      didn't do more of a trade...an English lesson for a Slovak lesson!

                      > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                      > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                      > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                      > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                      > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                      >
                      > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                      > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                      > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                      Millenium.
                      > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                      > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                      > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                      > appreciated.
                      >
                      > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                      >

                      > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                      > speaks
                      > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                      > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                      explain
                      > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                      were.

                      > > Andrea

                      > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                      > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                      > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                      Old school buds here:
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/
                    • Andrea Vangor
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                        No, they are scattered here and there. A lot of us print them out and shlep
                        them around with us. I printed three different Hungarian genealogical word
                        lists and still use an on-line dictionary to figure things out.

                        If others can't jump in, post me privately and I will look around for some
                        materials for you -- but not today because I am working against a deadline!

                        > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                        > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                        > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                        > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                        > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                        >
                        > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                        > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                        > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                        Millenium.
                        > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                        > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                        > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                        > appreciated.
                        >
                        > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                        >

                        > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                        > speaks
                        > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                        > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                        explain
                        > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                        were.

                        > > Andrea

                        > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                        > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                        > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                        Old school buds here:
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                        How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                        or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                        fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/
                      • jallen50
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                          Thanks, Andrea! I can use any help I can get! I've learned a lot from
                          Slovak-Roots. I'm so glad one of your other members told me about all of
                          you! I really was afraid when I started tracing my family that I would not
                          be able to get anywhere...the language barrier for one thing! You've helped
                          me to see it is quite possible that I will be able to get info from
                          Slovakia, but that I may actually be able to find family that was left
                          behind!
                          JuneA

                          > We are Byzantine Catholic. Or at least the generations that were/are here
                          > were Byzantine. My mother tells me that a lot of the Greek Catholics and
                          > Byzantine became members of Roman Catholic churches here in the states
                          > because there weren't many Byzantine around. I'm still not sure of the
                          > different between Byzantine/Greek/Orthodox.
                          >
                          > I know nothing about getting the information through LDS. Last night was
                          > the first time I started looking on the web for information. My husband
                          > bought me a belated Mother's Day gift of the software Generations
                          Millenium.
                          > I put in my information (what little I have) into it yesterday, and then
                          > started looking around. I saw some links to LDS, but haven't gotten that
                          > far yet. Any information or help you can provide would be greatly
                          > appreciated.
                          >
                          > Anita B. (who has a sister named Andrea!)
                          >

                          > > Welcome, Anita. You have a lot going for you, including a mother who
                          > speaks
                          > > Slovak! Do you know anything about getting church records through the
                          > > Family History Libraries run by the LDS church? We'd be happy to
                          explain
                          > > the process. First, you need to determine what religion your people
                          were.

                          > > Andrea

                          > beMANY! has a new way to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on
                          > saving more each month: Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
                          > rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                          Old school buds here:
                          http://click.egroups.com/1/4057/0/_/545880/_/960329171/

                          How about a flat, no-fee long distance rate of 6.7¢ per min. -
                          or less? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you rates which
                          fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
                          http://click.egroups.com/1/3820/0/_/545880/_/960334805/

                          Everyday Is Kid's Day
                          Dad Only Has One
                          Click Here To Make It Special
                          http://click.egroups.com/1/5038/0/_/545880/_/960335078/
                        • Brecosky
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                            Rich:

                            I would never have imagined (even in my wildest dreams) that someone would
                            come along and be so very, very helpful to me in researching my family tree.
                            I don't know how to thank you enough for all the information you have given
                            me in just one post! THANK YOU! (Gee, I hope no one thinks that's someone's
                            surname...LOL!)

                            I will print your entire post and read it to my mother tomorrow when I see
                            her. I am going to see if I can get some decent print outs of the maps you
                            suggested.

                            Again, thank you so very much.

                            Anita B.
                          • Richard D. Custer
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 6, 2000
                              Wow, Anita -- you're making me blush!

                              Really, I have a lot of data here & it is my pleasure to help. (You may
                              detect some agenda on my part, mostly it's to educate people about who
                              Rusyns are since so many of our people in the USA have only a vague
                              understanding of their origin & ethnic background.) You will find that
                              Rusyns (or whatever name they prefer -- you will see how many there are) are
                              certainly a "colorful" group, just the name issues alone will keep you
                              hopping.

                              By the way, were your maternal immigrant ancestors (grandparents?) living in
                              Pittsburgh? I think there were people from Cigolka in south side, St.
                              John's Byz. Cath. Church, and I think some on north side (Holy Ghost
                              B.C.C./St. John's Carpatho-Russian Orthodox churches). I think also down in
                              New Salem near Uniontown -- there were definitely Zakutansky's there. Kuriv
                              people I'd guess would be on south side too, but the largest # in PA I know
                              of lived in Cambria County: South Fork & Beaverdale -- between Johnstown &
                              Altoona.

                              Best wishes to you -- I'd be glad to help if you have other questions.

                              Rich Custer

                              p.s. to get an idea about the Rusyn/Rusin/Carpatho-Russian, etc. "name
                              game", try this article:
                              http://lemko.org/lih/slivka.html
                              Who are we? Rusin, Russian, Ruthenian, Slovak? by Father John Slivka (1977)