Re: From the listowner

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > mjesko@w... writes:

      > I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia,
      > said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any
      ship to
      > New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep
      > about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try
      > there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to
      > her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as
      accuarate as
      > the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from
      NYC...but no
      > answer yet.
      > Thanks for the lead.
      > God Bless
      > Rosemary - Las Vegas

      You didn't mention the surname of your babic^ka.
      From your list of surnames it must have been either
      Sladky or Cerny ?

      Cerny meaning "a dark hair man" is the 5th most popular
      surname in the Czech Republic.
      5 % of the Czech population bear this particular surname.

      There are probably 3000-4000+ surname Cerny bearers living just
      in the U.S.

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and after 1867, part of the Austro-Hungarian
      It was an Austrian Kröneland.

      There was no country called "Czechoslovakia" until the WW I
      peace treaty.

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created
      from the Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia)
      and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

      The U.S. Census enumerations 1880/1900/1910 reflected this.
      The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that
      occurred in Europe after 1918.

      Early on , Czechs emigrated to the U.S. via the Gulf State
      ports and TX and then moved to the Midwest and elsewhere.
      This migration began around 1850 and accelerated into the 1890s.
      Czechs to PA likely entered the U.S. through the Philadelphia
      port of entry since it was the closest to their Final Destinations.

      If your cousin is correct there is no b.c. from NYC or PA ?
      When was your baba born ?
      If she emigrated to the U.S. she probably sailed from either the
      Bremen or Hamburg, Germany port of exit.
    • David Mothkovich
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
        It appears that Mladen/Mardalj Sardjan is harassing people again on this
        Could you arrange for him to be "blocked" etc., before it gets ugly again.