Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] From the listowner

  • Rosamken@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2000
      In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      mjesko@... writes:

      << To those looking up names from the Czech Lands, please remember that not
      all of them came thru Ellis Island. Many came thru Philadelphia and
      Baltimore, which has a good sized Czech community. >>

      Mark:

      I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia, one cousin
      said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any ship to
      New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep hearing
      about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try census records
      there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to confuse matters,
      her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as accuarate as
      the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from NYC...but no
      answer yet.

      Thanks for the lead.
      God Bless
      Rosemary - Las Vegas
      Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI, CIANCI,
      GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Rosamken@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 05/31/2000 4:00:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > mjesko@w... writes:
        >

        > I was always told that my Czech grannie came from Pennsylvannia,
        one
        cousin
        > said she was born in Bohemia, Czech, I can't find her coming on any
        ship to
        > New York (where she lived all her life that I remember)...I keep
        hearing
        > about a large population coming from Philadelphia, I will try
        census
        records
        > there, as I can't find her on the 1920 census in NYC. and to
        confuse
        matters,
        > her death cert said she was born in NYC.....information only as
        accuarate as
        > the informant supplies. I have requested her birth cert from
        NYC...but no
        > answer yet.
        >
        > Thanks for the lead.
        > God Bless
        > Rosemary - Las Vegas
        > Searching for: BASTANZIO, CALIENNI, CASTROVINCI, CERNY, CHIPPARI,
        CIANCI,
        > GARRISON, GILLSON, MONASTRA, & SLADKY

        You didn't mention the surname of your babic^ka.
        From your list of surnames it must have been either
        Sladky or Cerny ?

        Cerny meaning "a dark hair man" is the 5th most popular
        surname in the Czech Republic.
        5 % of the Czech population bear this particular surname.

        There are probably 3000-4000+ surname Cerny bearers living just
        in the U.S.

        Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
        (10th century-1918) and after 1867, part of the Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy.
        It was an Austrian Kröneland.

        There was no country called "Czechoslovakia" until the WW I
        peace treaty.

        In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created
        from the Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia)
        and a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

        The U.S. Census enumerations 1880/1900/1910 reflected this.
        The 1920 U.S. Census reflected the political changes that
        occurred in Europe after 1918.

        Early on , Czechs emigrated to the U.S. via the Gulf State
        ports and TX and then moved to the Midwest and elsewhere.
        This migration began around 1850 and accelerated into the 1890s.
        Czechs to PA likely entered the U.S. through the Philadelphia
        port of entry since it was the closest to their Final Destinations.

        If your cousin is correct there is no b.c. from NYC or PA ?
        When was your baba born ?
        If she emigrated to the U.S. she probably sailed from either the
        Bremen or Hamburg, Germany port of exit.
      • David Mothkovich
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2000
          It appears that Mladen/Mardalj Sardjan is harassing people again on this
          site.
          Could you arrange for him to be "blocked" etc., before it gets ugly again.
          Thanks
          Dave