Re: [S-R] Roll call

  • Edie
    Message 1 of 23 , May 24, 2007
      KOLESAR and HAKY from the Spis region of Slovakia who came to America at the turn of the century and settled in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
      Thank you,
      Edith "Edie" Sando
      sando1@...

      Message 2 of 23 , May 24, 2007
        KURUC, KURUCZ of Kocise and Brezina (cousin Margareta Kurucovz, Mayor of
        Brezina). Pottfay, Chudik of Stara Turn. Kosinar of Zilina. Chvastek,
        Spivak, Luchon (Lucan) of Mokov and forget the other town.

        Message 3 of 23 , May 24, 2007
          Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
          DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
          SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
          DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
          (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
          HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
          TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
          WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

        • David Decker

            We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are more new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family name on the list. How about a roll call??

            Joann

          • Jim Simon
            Message 5 of 23 , May 24, 2007
              KOLPAK, LACKO from Gyorke, Abauj-Torna County and SIMON from Daroc, Bereg
              County. Immigration occurred in early 1900's to West Virginia (Montana
              Mines) via New Jersey. Families of the Hungarian Reformed Church.
              Thanks,
              Jim Simon
              jrsim2@...

              _____

              sando1@... <mailto:sando1%40cox.net>

              Message 6 of 23 , May 24, 2007
                HAAS
                HANUS
                WEISS
                WEISS-JASNIGER
                STEINER
                LICHTENSTEIN

                In the towns of

                PUCHOV
                HACAVA

                Happy thoughts from Australia!

                Amanda Haas
                Australind, WA

              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                  Hi All,

                  JANKURA
                  KREJC
                  MICHALCIK
                  MUCHA
                  BARTOS
                  LIPKA

                  all from Saros and Spis counties.

                  Thank you and hello from upstate New York.
                  Noreen

                • Joann
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                    Edie:

                    I don't know if you are aware, but there is a Haky Funeral Home in Uniontown, Pa, which is in SW Pennsylvania. Hope the information helped.

                    Joann

                    We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are more new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family name on the list. How about a roll call??

                    Joann

                  • Linda Hartlaub
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                      Hello Everyone,

                      Researching the following names:

                      JOZEF/JOSEPH - Bracovce(?) -> Zaluzice -> Cleveland, Ohio
                      MIKUL/MIKULO/MIKULA - ?->Horna->?
                      PASTIRIK - ? -> Cleveland
                      SAVKA - Zaluzice
                      SOKOL - ? -> Cleveland
                      TOKAR - ?->Horna->?->Cleveland, Ohio

                      Linda Hartlaub
                      Elizabeth, CO

                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                        Linda,
                        I'm leaving for Slovakia in four days. My cousin was the parish priest in Zaluzice for three years. When I see him on June 9th I'll ask if your names are familiar to him.
                        Michael Mojher

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                          Thank you, Joann. Yes, I noticed on the internet when I googled HAKY. This funeral home came up on the screen. Maybe I should contact them and ask them if they have our Mihaly/Michael Haky in their family tree? On the ship manifest, Mihaly Haky was going to a town right near Uniontown, PA. Too many coincidences!
                          Thanks,

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                            Which town near Uniontown, I am pretty familiar with the area.

                          • sparky27@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                              From Margonya, Saros County, now Marhan-- HOCSALA
                              From Hankocz, Saros-- DVORSZKY, GULYA, VDOVIN
                              From Krucso, Saros-- GAL, BALENT
                              From Bartfa, Saros, now Bardejov-- LITAVECZ, PODOBA
                              Settled in Pennsylvania circa 1880.

                              Stephanie in Tennessee

                              From: "Joann" <joannp1@...>
                              Clear DayHi Everyone:

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 25, 2007
                                Johnstown, PA is what I remember when I read the destination line of the manifest and someone told me that it was near Uniontown, PA.
                                Thanks,
                                edie

                              • sevilleb@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 26, 2007
                                  I am looking for Blehoe in Mocenok, Slovak Republic.

                                  From: "Joann" <joannp1@...>
                                  Clear DayHi Everyone:

                                • gklodzen@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 27, 2007
                                    I am researching the surnames

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 27, 2007
                                      I am researching the family surname, KLADZAN, plus PIKULA, and HLADIK in the
                                      villages of Vinne, Lastomir, and Michaelovce. Also PITONIAK, village unknown
                                      at this time, likely Lastomir. Will be checking the LDS church records as
                                      soon as they arrive at our local Family History Center.

                                      My thanks to those on this list who have already been of help. Any further
                                      information will be much appreciated. My KLADZAN ancestors emigrated from
                                      Vinne to the town of Bitumen, PA in the late 1890s, as did apparently quite a few
                                      other Vinne residents.

                                      Gene Klodzen

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 3, 2007
                                        Hi Jack:

                                        It may just be a coincidence because of the far distances, but in my BALOGA
                                        (BALOG) clan in the Saris Highlands west of PRESOV, both the HANAK and JENCA
                                        surnames appear, in the villages of SIROKE, VITAZ, OVCIE, and DOLINA. An
                                        ANDREAS HANAK was the godfather of my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA (born
                                        1823), and the JENCA (JENCSA/JENTSA) surname appears in my extended family.
                                        In the church records for SIROKE, I have seen a number of instances where
                                        persons originally came from GALICIA, so the distance cannot be ruled out
                                        entirely. I am not sure if there is any relation, but I thought I would let you
                                        know anyway, just in case. I wish you well in your search.

                                        Best regards,

                                        David Michael Baloga

                                      • Marsha Duda Sumner
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 6, 2007
                                          Hi David,
                                          I saw your 6/3/07 post to the group. I have been helping a friend
                                          research his family 's "trail". Do you have any village of origination info
                                          for ANNA JENCA? She married Georgius Szauko, from Szvidnik, but, not in
                                          Szvidnik. Their daughter, Maria, was born in Szvidnik, 1884. Another child,
                                          Georgius, was born in Beaver Meadow, PA, by 1892. The marriage of these
                                          parents could have been anytime around 1878 to 1883.
                                          I tell my friend that it is imperative to find Jenca's village, probable
                                          wedding site--and the only way to be certain he is tracking the "right"
                                          line. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
                                          Marsha

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 7, 2007
                                            Hello Marsha and David,

                                            Don't know if there's any connection, but my great uncle Stephan KLADZAN was
                                            married an Amelia JENTS. Stephen was from Vinne, Slovakia, and in 1900 he
                                            and Amelia were living in Bitumen, PA. I do not know the village of origin for
                                            Amelia. LIkely, JENTS is a variation spelling of one of the surnames you have
                                            discovered.

                                            Gene Klodzen

                                            on 6/3/07 7:46 PM, _david1law@..._ (mailto:david1law@...) at

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 8, 2007
                                              Hi Marsha:

                                              In regard to your inquiry, the records regarding any ANNA JENCA that I have
                                              are in regard to my BALOGA (BALOG) family in SIROKE parish. For a time, it
                                              appeared that an ANNA JENCA was one of my great, great, great grandmothers,
                                              but it turned out to be another person. I do not recall seeing the surname
                                              SZAUKO. You are right that it is extremely important to find the right
                                              ancestral village, otherwise, a researcher may find persons with the same first and
                                              last name, but not the right one, and go on the proverbial wild goose chase.
                                              A wild goose chase can be even more frustrating than a brick wall. In my
                                              family, a cousin had initially thought that my great, great, great grandfather
                                              MATHIAS BALOGA was married to an ANNA JENCA. It turned out that were several
                                              men named MATHIAS BALOGA who had married wives named ANNA, one of which was
                                              an ANNA JENCA and one of which was an ANNA (Last Name Unknown). When I
                                              received census records for the 1869 Hungarian Census, with some great help by JOHN
                                              ADAM (thanks again, John), it was clear that the ANNA JENCA married to
                                              MATHIAS BALOGA was not my great, great, great grandmother as the census indicated
                                              she was born in 1818, and my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in
                                              1823. Once I learned that I had been on a bit of a wild goose chase, I
                                              decided to do a whole cluster genealogy of my BALOGA (BALOG) clan as a means to
                                              double check all of the research, and in the process, I learned a lot of
                                              information that I would not have gathered had I just been looking only at direct
                                              ancestors, including the fact that my great, great grandfather JAN BALOGA had
                                              17 children.

                                              I would suggest reviewing Bill Tarkulich's Eastern Genealogical Research
                                              Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) . He has
                                              information as to how to search the 1869 Census records, among other great advice. I
                                              constantly use Bill's website as a springboard for my research. Sometimes, if
                                              you cannot find the records in one village, it is worthwhile to check the
                                              records of the neighboring villages. This is JOHN ADAM's "Two Village Theorem"
                                              -- it often works in finding an ancestor, but there are of course
                                              exceptions, as some people did move from significant distances (as I learned with my
                                              paternal grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC who lived in the High Tatra region in the
                                              village of STARY SMOKOVEC -- where her family were the first permanent
                                              residents of the village, originally a hunting resort, and now one of the best
                                              resorts in all of Slovakia -- and she later lived in SPISSKA VLACHY, still in the
                                              SPIS region, but quite a distance from STARY SMOKOVEC where she was born).
                                              I hope this helps a little.

                                              Best regards,

                                              David Michael Baloga

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 8, 2007
                                                Hi Gene:

                                                I will keep a lookout. I have seen the JENCA surname spelled JENTSA, and
                                                the JENTS surname that you mentioned is certainly another probable variant in
                                                spelling.

                                                Best regards

                                                David Michael Baloga

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 9, 2007
                                                  Do not forget Jencsa. May be a surprise.
                                                  Vladimir

                                                  _____