Roll call

  • Joann
    Message 1 of 25 , May 24 4:20 PM
      Clear DayHi Everyone:

      We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are more new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family name on the list. How about a roll call??

      Joann

    • MARIJO BEBIAK
      Message 2 of 25 , May 25 4:10 AM
        Bebiak/Bebjak,Bulik and Benusik fron the Chynoranny/Nitra region. Most came to the US around 1906.

      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 25 , May 25 4:49 AM
          Packo from Marhan/Olsavce in Saris, Matis from Porubka in Saris, Grega
          from Hankovce and Marhan in Saris, Handzo From Lada and Hanusovce nad Toplou
          in Saris.

          Tom

          On 5/24/07, Joann <joannp1@...> wrote:

          > Clear DayHi Everyone:
          >
          > We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are more
          > new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family name on the
          > list. How about a roll call??
          >
          > Joann

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gail
          Message 4 of 25 , May 25 5:53 AM
            researching Great grand parents

            Budish
            and
            Kerestanova
            born in Pavlovce, Czechoslovakia
            settled in Pittsburgh PA, *Homestead Pa to be exact

            Gail
          • Jody Gonda
            Message 5 of 25 , May 25 6:42 AM
              This is the first time I have done Roll Call, so hope I am doing this correctly!
              The families I am researching:

              Gonda - Kriva --> Ohio
              Pishut/Pisut - Trstena/Zabidov --> Ohio
              Tokar - Dolny Kubin

              Also adding some other family members that are nearby:

              Fazekas - Abaujvar --> Ohio
              Molnar - Abaujvar
              Bardos - Abaujvar --> Ohio

              Jody

            • Donna Lanik
              Message 6 of 25 , May 25 7:05 AM
                Hello everyone,
                Looking for .....

                Kuhanik - Bardejov
                Kendra - Zboro
                Varasinsky - Zboro
                Zelinsky - Zboro, Galicia
                Makara - Zboro, Galicia

                Donna Lanik
                Akron, Ohio, USA

                Joann wrote:

                > Clear DayHi Everyone:
                >
                > We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are more
                > new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family name
                > on the list. How about a roll call??
                >
                > Joann

              • ckjgo1
                Message 7 of 25 , May 25 7:32 AM
                  I am reserching my gGrandparents from Trencin Megye, in the towns of
                  Trencin and Dreitoma. They came at separate times to the USA but were
                  married before they came and had at least two children. My gGrandfather
                  left in 1893 and his wife and two children followed in 1896.
                  My Names are Andras Sargavy, which seems to be a rare name in Slovakia,
                  and His wife's name was C(K)arolina Stanek. I'm at a stand still
                  because the LDS does not have or has not yet done the transcriptions of
                  this area of Slovakia. I have found a man with the Sargavy in Dreitoma
                  and will be writing to him in the fall.
                • Carl Kotlarchik
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 25 7:35 AM
                    Researching the following family names from towns around Jelsava
                    (Jolsva)in the former Gomor County:
                    Kotlarcik/Kotlarcsik/Kotlartsik
                    Vapenik
                    Janko
                    Muranszky
                    Gyuro
                    Zdichavszky
                    Galovits/Galovicz
                    Szabados
                    Varchol
                    Liptak
                    Keken
                    Porubszky
                    Kolessar
                    Dancsik/Dantsik

                    And the following family names from Snina in the former Zemplen
                    County:
                    Kepics/Kepits/Kepic
                    Legemza
                    Lojan
                    Terpak
                    Fedak
                    Ondkovics

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joann" <joannp1@...> wrote:

                    > Clear DayHi Everyone:
                    >
                    > We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are
                    more new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family
                    name on the list. How about a roll call??

                    > Joann

                  • Pat Watkins
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 25 9:19 AM
                      Looking for Kuban (Nitra, Roman Catholic, born about 1884)-have
                      family tree-looking for additional relatives. My grandfather

                      Also looking for Krajnik (Rovne, Roman Catholic-born about 1886)-have
                      no information, looking for everything. My grandmother

                      Both lived in Pittsburgh (PA) then Linesville, (PA).

                      Thanks.

                      Pat Watkins
                      *************

                      Pat, Lane and Jesse

                    • Carolyn Ziurys
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 25 9:57 AM
                        Hello everyone,

                        All of my research is in the former Gomor region:

                        MRAZ and TRILEC in Betliar
                        CIRBUS and FERENCIK in Mala Poloma
                        HRONEC and CHOCHOL in Velka Poloma
                        DOVECZ and GALLO in Henckovce

                        Many thanks,
                        Carolyn Cirbus Ziurys
                      • gkthur
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 25 10:20 AM
                          I am searching for a Daniel Cirbes, or any deviation of name. Father
                          Daniel, mother Mary. Born Sept. 21, 1863. Do not know origin, but
                          suspect Gomor region. Emmigrated to Canada in 1882.
                        • Will
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 25 11:00 AM
                            Ooh, a roll call. Neat. Here's the short version: Kocsan/Koèan,
                            Merecziczki/Mereczicki/Merecziczky, Palcsák, and Ondercso/Onderèo
                            families from Jarovnice/Jernye, in Sáros. And, maybe, maybe
                            Sirokman/Širokman, from Lastomir, Zemplén. The Kocsans came over
                            to the US in the 1880s-1890s, ending up in Minneapolis.

                            Long Version:

                            Haven't worked on my Slovak side in a little while, but I'm researching
                            the Kocsan/Koèan, Merecziczki/Mereczicki/Merecziczky, Palcsák, and
                            Ondercso/Onderèo families from Jarovnice/Jernye, in Sáros. My
                            great-great-great-gandfather András/Andrew Kocsan/Kochan/Kochen came
                            to the US in the 1880s, some time, possibly travelling back and forth to
                            Jarovnice. Ended up in Minneapolis in the mid-1890s, apparently a
                            widower, as he re-married. His daughter (my g-g-grandma)
                            Erzsébet/Elizabeth came over in the early 1890s, according to family
                            lore as an indentured servant in a wealthy family's home. She lived in
                            the Pittsburgh area, where she married and had three children before
                            reportedly being abandoned by her husband, at which point she joined the
                            family in Minneapolis.

                            The family I'm REALLY looking for is that of Elizabeth Kochen's husband.
                            I have no reliable record of his existence, as my Elizabeth changed the
                            family name to "Sherohman" at some point. According to people who knew
                            her, the name was previously provounced something like "Sherokman."
                            Which I've long figured was probably Sirokman/Širokman, or one of
                            the seemingly endless number of variants of this name in E. Slovakia/N.
                            Hungary/W. Ukraine. I've so far had no luck searching the the Pittsburgh
                            area for the birth records of Elizabeth's kids.

                            The one thing I did find, on microfilm from the LDS, was a Marriage
                            Return from St. Elizabeth Rom. Catholic Church, Pittsburgh, 24 Aug 1896.
                            There, I found a Lizzi Kocan, from Jernye, Sáros, marrying a Georgius
                            Širokman of Lastomir, Zemplén. The age given for Lizzi in the
                            return is 21, when my Elizabeth would have been 17. But, having been all
                            through the Jernye parish records, I know there's no other Erzsébet
                            Kocsan that was born there around the year 1875, as Lizzi would've been.
                            I don't know what the age of consent was in 1890s Pennsylvania, but I
                            imagine it's possible she lied about her age to marry the 27-years-old
                            George. Also, the marrige of this Lizzi and George was less than a year
                            before the birth of my Elizabeth's eldest child, John. So... a lot adds
                            up, but I still can't be positive I've got them.

                            Yeah, yeah. Stop your sighing and eye rolling. I did say it was the
                            "long version."

                            ---Will Anderson

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joann" <joannp1@...> wrote:

                            > Clear DayHi Everyone:
                            >
                            > We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are more
                            new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family name on
                            the list. How about a roll call??

                            > Joann

                          • Nancy Gibert
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 25 12:24 PM
                              I am new to research across the ocean. My people were mainly in PA.
                              KRUPAR Dobcinia Gomer Megye Hungry 9my direct line)
                              TURCHON or Turchan Hecmanovs
                              PAHOLSKY Czec.

                              Nancy in MI
                            • david1law@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 25 2:28 PM
                                Hi Will:

                                It's good to see another Saris Highlander! I noticed the ONDERSKO surname
                                and JAROVNICE. A number of my ancestors came from villages in the nearby
                                vicinity of JAROVNICE to the south such as OVCIE, VITAZ and DOLINA in the Saris
                                Highlands, and also in the adjacent SPIS villages, such as RICHNAVA, HRISOVCE,
                                KLUKNAVA and KALAVA, on BRANISKO MOUNTAIN. One of my great, great
                                grandmothers is a THERESA ONDERCIN (also spelled ONDERTSIN and ONDERCSIN) from the
                                village of KALAVA on BRANISKO mountain. The ONDERCSIN surname is also found
                                in the nearby SIROKE parish (which includes the villages of VITAZ, OVCIE,
                                DOLINA, and SIROKE). The ONDERCIN surname is relatively uncommon in Slovakia,
                                and the two known ONDERCIN clans come from KALAVA and BELA NAD CIROCHOU. It
                                may be just be a mere coincidence in terms of similar root -- ONDER -- and with
                                different diminutive suffixes but if you find any reference of your ONDERSKO
                                clan having any connection to KALAVA or any of the nearby villages, please
                                let me know, as I would be please to investigate any possible connection.

                                Best regards,

                                David

                              • Paul Tomasko
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 25 6:09 PM
                                  Tomasko and Mackanyin from Siba, Saris County and Javorsky from Spis County.

                                  Paul Tomasko

                                • mrbob120@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 25 6:48 PM
                                    Hi my name is Bob Sandor
                                    my grandparents immigrated to Cleveland Ohio around 1907
                                    they were both single Grandpa Jan Sandor (Shondor) was born in Lubenic
                                    Grandma Sandor ( Kerchmar ) was born in Ninza Slana
                                    they met each other in the Lutheran church I am taking a guess the church
                                    was Holy Trinity Lutheran a Slovak congregation.
                                    Grandpa died in 1947 and grandma died in 1952.
                                    they had seven sons
                                    Charles John Edward William Julius Steve and Victor
                                    thanks for letting me add to the roll call

                                  • Will
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 27 5:56 PM
                                      Hi David...

                                      You never know. I don't currently know of any links, but next time
                                      I've got the Jarovnice films (currently looking for a new FHC...
                                      preferably one with microfilm readers from the SECOND half of the
                                      twentieth century...), I'll keep my eye out.

                                      ---Will

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, david1law@... wrote:

                                      > Hi Will:
                                      >
                                      > It's good to see another Saris Highlander! I noticed the ONDERSKO
                                      surname
                                      > and JAROVNICE. A number of my ancestors came from villages in the
                                      nearby
                                      > vicinity of JAROVNICE to the south such as OVCIE, VITAZ and DOLINA
                                      in the Saris
                                      > Highlands, and also in the adjacent SPIS villages, such as
                                      RICHNAVA, HRISOVCE,
                                      > KLUKNAVA and KALAVA, on BRANISKO MOUNTAIN. One of my great,
                                      great
                                      > grandmothers is a THERESA ONDERCIN (also spelled ONDERTSIN and
                                      ONDERCSIN) from the
                                      > village of KALAVA on BRANISKO mountain. The ONDERCSIN surname is
                                      also found
                                      > in the nearby SIROKE parish (which includes the villages of VITAZ,
                                      OVCIE,
                                      > DOLINA, and SIROKE). The ONDERCIN surname is relatively uncommon
                                      in Slovakia,
                                      > and the two known ONDERCIN clans come from KALAVA and BELA NAD
                                      CIROCHOU. It
                                      > may be just be a mere coincidence in terms of similar root --
                                      ONDER -- and with
                                      > different diminutive suffixes but if you find any reference of
                                      your ONDERSKO
                                      > clan having any connection to KALAVA or any of the nearby
                                      villages, please
                                      > let me know, as I would be please to investigate any possible
                                      connection.

                                      > Best regards,
                                      >
                                      > David

                                    • szepessnv
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 28 7:29 AM
                                        Hi everyone. This is a great idea!

                                        We are researching the SCHWABIK family of Spisske Nova Ves. (We are in contact with living
                                        relatives there.) We have almost all the info we need back to before 1790, however, some
                                        marriage and family connections are still missing, with the following surnames, most would
                                        be centered in the Spis (Szepes) region:

                                        SCHWABIK/Svabik
                                        Zelesnek/Zelesnak (Zelesnakova) of Hnilcik
                                        Masney/Maszney (of Spisske Nova Ves/Iglo)
                                        Brodak (of Poprad or Spisske Nova Ves)
                                        Jarab
                                        Pietor (Possibly from Zilina, first name Georgina, ca. 1924.)

                                        Please visit our family website for a complete list of names we are connected to:

                                        http://schwabik.com/

                                        Thanks and if I recognize anyone elses names I will gladly be in touch.
                                        -Wendy
                                      • david1law@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 28 9:36 AM
                                          Hi Wendy:

                                          I notice the JARAB surname. Where is your JARAB family from? My
                                          grandmother VERONIKA HRONEC's grandparents were a PAULUS JARAB and MARIA JARAB. She
                                          was born in STARY SMOKOVEC, but her parents were from the village of DOMANOVCE
                                          (west of SPIS CASTLE), and her HRONEC ancestors were from the ROZNAVA area.
                                          In my search of the records of ROZNAVA, there is also the surname JARABINA
                                          associated with my HRONEC clan.

                                          Best regards,

                                          David Michael Baloga

                                        • mnm4va
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 28 1:12 PM
                                            Thank you for the roll call Joann. I'm a little rusty on my research
                                            lately so this roll call may help. I'm looking for the following:

                                            My g'mother: Magdalen KNAPIK, from Plavnica (Austria-Hungary) (her
                                            parents were Joseph & Mary KNAPIK who had 5 daughters and 2 sons).
                                            Magdalen Knapik b:7/28/1878- d:4/21/1978. Emigrated to US around
                                            1894. Married 8/2/1896 in NY to:
                                            My g'father: Charles VARGA, from Plavnica. Some say his name may
                                            have been WARGO. Charles' parents had 5 sons and 2 daughters.
                                            Charles Varga b: approx. 1874-1875, d: 1/21/1954. Emigrated to US
                                            around 1894.
                                            Magdalen Kanpik and Charles Varga lived in NY, NJ, and finally CT
                                            (Bridgeport area).
                                            Hope this helps. If this rings a bell with anyone, please contact
                                            me. M.V. Mitchell (mnm4va@...). Thanks!

                                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Joann" <joannp1@...> wrote:

                                            > Clear DayHi Everyone:
                                            >
                                            > We haven't had a roll call for awhile and there, apparently, are
                                            more new members or some of us (me ;) that doesn't catch every family
                                            name on the list. How about a roll call??

                                            > Joann

                                          • Craig Chamberlain
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 29 1:02 PM
                                              Hello all,
                                              Here is my list of names and places I'm searching so far:

                                              My grandfathers side: KOSCAK (changed to Koschok in English for
                                              pronunciation)
                                              other family on his side: HUDACEK / OVA (mother)
                                              Jacob Sr. Hudacek, Jacob Jr. Hudacek of Arkansas Ave. Dormont USA
                                              Jacob III Hudacek and Linda Marion HANLY of Latonia Ave. Dormont USA - 7
                                              children, some in Pittsburgh, PA; and some in California

                                              My grandmothers side: BUDZAK / OVA from Lendak village, Slovakia, came to
                                              St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
                                              Brother Jakub Budzak from Lendak, Slovakia to Montreal, Quebec, Canada
                                              + 5 other siblings, youngest sister married a GALLIK, several children and
                                              grand children (all still in Slovakia as far as I know)
                                              One brother married a V. FUDALYNOVA with several children still in Slovakia.

                                              Budzak may be a Hungarian name.

                                              Any help on these people or known information on the village of Lendak would
                                              be much appreciated,
                                              Thanks.

                                              Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
                                              e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
                                              www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147
                                            • J. Michutka
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 29 2:26 PM

                                                >My grandmothers side: BUDZAK / OVA from Lendak village, Slovakia, came to
                                                >St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
                                                >Brother Jakub Budzak from Lendak, Slovakia to Montreal, Quebec, Canada
                                                >+ 5 other siblings, youngest sister married a GALLIK, several children and
                                                >grand children (all still in Slovakia as far as I know)
                                                >One brother married a V. FUDALYNOVA with several children still in Slovakia.

                                                Is Helene Cincebeaux on this list as well as Slovak World? Her
                                                Treasures of Slovakia tours stop in Lendak at the Fudaly home....pan
                                                Fudaly makes sheepskin vests. I wonder if you mis-typed the name,
                                                might it be Fudaly-ova rather than Fudaly-n-ova.

                                                Lendak is pretty! There was a January 1987 National Geographic
                                                article about Slovakia, and it had some pictures of Lendak and of the
                                                Fudaly family celebrating a family wedding (I think Helene told us
                                                that they actually married of 3 of their children that day!); also
                                                photos of the family/Lendak in the March/April 2001 issue of
                                                Piecework magazine, in an article by Helene about the embroidered
                                                coats and vests of Slovakia.

                                                Hope this is of some help.

                                                Julie Michutka
                                              • helene cincebeaux
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 29 4:46 PM
                                                  Hi Craig -

                                                  Lendak is one of my favorite villages in Slovakia
                                                  -it's beautifully set under a High Tatra peak and
                                                  while there are many new homes the old ways still
                                                  exist.

                                                  The church dates from the early 1300s and is
                                                  magnficent! The people are very religious! It is one
                                                  of the villages in Slovakia that is growing and
                                                  expanding. The people are so hospitable there.

                                                  I took a family of Hudaceks there and they were
                                                  related to the then Mayor. The Fudalys are very dear
                                                  friends of many years, he is one of the last sheepskin
                                                  vest makers in the country.

                                                  Lendak village was featured in a National Geographic
                                                  article in the early 80s - "Slovakia's Spirit of
                                                  Survival". The Fudalys married off three children at
                                                  once and the wedding is featured in the article with a
                                                  number of pictures - the ladies bringing the dowry on
                                                  their backs, the gorgeous old church and altar, and
                                                  the Fudalys blessing one of their children - all
                                                  wearing the sheepskin vests with red applique that are
                                                  traditional in the village.

                                                  It's funny as the room looks like a big hall but it is
                                                  actually their bedroom in the tiny 2 room house where
                                                  they raised their 9 children. This is where they
                                                  entertain my tour goers and we are so lucky to have a
                                                  taste of traditional Slovak hospitality and a glimpse
                                                  of their "holy corner".

                                                  It always amazes me that so many people go to the High
                                                  Tatras and so few go a few miles further and find this
                                                  wonderful village.

                                                  In regard to your surnames - in the Slvoak Pride data
                                                  base I have 8 listings for Gallik, 7 for Fudaly, 3 for
                                                  Hudacek and 4 for Budzak,

                                                  helene

                                                  --- Craig Chamberlain <craigmchamberlain@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Hello all,
                                                  > Here is my list of names and places I'm searching so
                                                  > far:
                                                  >
                                                  > My grandfathers side: KOSCAK (changed to Koschok in
                                                  > English for
                                                  > pronunciation)
                                                  > other family on his side: HUDACEK / OVA (mother)
                                                  > Jacob Sr. Hudacek, Jacob Jr. Hudacek of Arkansas
                                                  > Ave. Dormont USA
                                                  > Jacob III Hudacek and Linda Marion HANLY of Latonia
                                                  > Ave. Dormont USA - 7
                                                  > children, some in Pittsburgh, PA; and some in
                                                  > California
                                                  >
                                                  > My grandmothers side: BUDZAK / OVA from Lendak
                                                  > village, Slovakia, came to
                                                  > St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
                                                  > Brother Jakub Budzak from Lendak, Slovakia to
                                                  > Montreal, Quebec, Canada
                                                  > + 5 other siblings, youngest sister married a
                                                  > GALLIK, several children and
                                                  > grand children (all still in Slovakia as far as I
                                                  > know)
                                                  > One brother married a V. FUDALYNOVA with several
                                                  > children still in Slovakia.
                                                  >
                                                  > Budzak may be a Hungarian name.
                                                  >
                                                  > Any help on these people or known information on the
                                                  > village of Lendak would
                                                  > be much appreciated,
                                                  > Thanks.

                                                  > Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need
                                                  > to help you keep your
                                                  > e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
                                                  > www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147

                                                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.
                                                • John Hanyak
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
                                                    Just went through 250+ e-mails, most about the roll call. Since I have been busy moving Ihave not had a chance to put my 2 cents worth into the roll. Here is all I can give at this moment:

                                                    Paternal grandfather was John Hanyak (Jan Hanak) from the village of Strocin. Came to stay with his brother George in Duquesne, PA. Later brought his wife (Anna Jenca also of Strocin) over. My father was born in Duquesne in 1927, but my Grandfather decided to return to the Old Country soon thereafter (not certain of the date). Two daughters were also born--Anne and Maria. Sometime in the mid 1930's my grandfather returned to the US, leaving the family behind, and resettleing in Duquesne before moving to West Mifflin. In 1947 my father returned to Duquesne and later brought his mother and sister Anne over as well. My Aunt Maria remained in Slovakia as she was married (Yencho) by that time. I have found nothing concerning when my grandparents and Aunt came back to the States.

                                                    Maternal grandfather was Martin Pluchta (Mihaly Plyuchta/Pljuhta) who married Mary Dzemyan) in Rankin, PA. in 1928.

                                                    Bill Tarkulich, your article about the Carpatho-Dukla Operation answered on our my family's mystery. Dad would often talk about the war being around the village of Strocin, but only in general terms. Reading about the Dukla Pass battles showed me that this was his "war" that he never talked about. Thanks.

                                                    Jack Hanyak

                                                  • MA Bensh
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 20, 2007
                                                      According to my gf, my ggm was Barbara MARGA. However, church record handwriting looks like it might have been VARGA or WARGA. She married a John NOVAK and lived in NJ (Bayonne area) from at least 1897 to 1910 based on info I have from census records. Her date of birth according to census info is around 1872. Cannot find immigration records on her. Was wondering if you have any additional WARGA info? Thanks.

                                                      M.V. Mitchell (mnm4va@...). Thanks!

                                                      .