Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Map Question

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 10:37 AM
      I have a 1990 atlas with the price in Kcs printed on it, so it was still
      prepared under the old communist government. The area around your tiny
      village of Kolvin (just east of Plzn) is surrounded by a light dashed
      line, the same as an area around Marien Bad where I have regularly
      passed soldiers hitchhiking, presumably from an adjacent military base.
      Yes, your assumption that it is a military base seems to be a good
      one.. No, I do not know if the area is at all restricted. Judging from
      the map, Kolvin is truly a small place!

      Ron

      Carole Haas wrote:

      > I have been looking for information on the village my grandparents
      > came from. It is a small village named KOLVIN, which is/was 43.5
      > miles SW of Prague, past where the road to Skorice and Kreslovna
      > ends. Mapquest.com does show the location of the village, but
      > nothing is there.
      > Someone I was writing to through another genealogy site e-mailed me a
      > copy of their map that shows the area were KOLVIN is/was xx'd out.
      > In fact, the whole area is xx'd out.
      > I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this means? Do the xx's
      > mean it is a restricted area? And if so why? Could it mean it is a
      > military area now?

      > Remember the good 'ol days
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 1:58 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Carole Haas" <cjhaas@m...> wrote:
        > I have been looking for information on the village my grandparents
        > came from. It is a small village named KOLVIN, which is/was 43.5
        > miles SW of Prague, past where the road to Skorice and Kreslovna
        > ends. Mapquest.com does show the location of the village, but
        > nothing is there.
        > Someone I was writing to through another genealogy site e-mailed me
        > copy of their map that shows the area were KOLVIN is/was xx'd out.
        > In fact, the whole area is xx'd out.
        > I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this means? Do the xx's
        > mean it is a restricted area? And if so why? Could it mean it is
        > military area now?

        There were areas in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia that were
        or are military reservations.
        Many times an entire village disappeared because it was located
        inside this military perimeter, i.e its former buildings were still
        there but it no longer was village with inhabitants.
        Have never seen such a former village inside a military reservation
        on a map that was not small.
        The military reservation could be 10-15 miles or more across with
        the former village located in the middle.
        The xxx 's on map usually indicated "forbidden to motor vehicles",
        eventhough a road might cut cross the area or circle around the
        reservation area.