RE: [S-R] Cousins of the Knee

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2007
      So a "cousin of the second knee" just means a second cousin in English,
      is that right? (people with the same great-grandparents)

      Joe

      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2007
        In the second knee.

        _____

        So a "cousin of the second knee" just means a second cousin in English,
        is that right? (people with the same great-grandparents)

        Joe

        Two quick and good responses to my question on Slovak_World, one from a
        professor at U Pittsburgh & the other form a professional genealogist.
        So cousin of the second knee does define my relationship with this one
        cousin in Slovakia.

        Ron

        Re: Cousins of the Knee

        > a knee cousin?

        Should Slovak help, Ron, _brat(r)anec/sesternica z druheho kolena_
        ("of/from the second knee") is a grandchild of your grandparent's
        sibling.

        The root also appears in the Slovak _pokolenie_, i.e. "generation" in
        English, which goes back to the Latin _genu_, "knee" like its Slovak
        equivalent.

        Some assume that this ancient usage of the words for "knee" goes back to
        the Indo-European times 4000+ years ago when most of the modern European
        languages were still one language, and to the custom whereby a newborn
        baby was placed before the (assumed) father who lifted it and put it on
        his knees (= in his lap) and thus recognized it as _genu_ine-ly
        (originally: "inborn, by birth --> true") his.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        You could say a knee is one generation.
        Vladimir

      • amiak27
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2007
          Yes, Joe,

          That is the relationship I have with the cousin who made the comment.

          Vlad, thanks for adding the correct word "in the knee" rather than "of
          the knee". It was quite a few years ago I heard this, and I suspect
          it is my memory (and English language influence) that made that change.

          Ron