Re: Welcome to all new members

  • Steve Botnovcan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 1999
      My mother Mildred (VICIAN) BOTNOVCAN b1911 Chicago, Ill.
      Daughter of John VICIAN b Aug 19, 1882 in Breszova pod Bradlom,
      Slovakia and
      Mary BRINSKA b Sept 7, 1887 in Jablonka, Slovakia
      John left Slovakia in 1902 and immigrated to Chicago. Mary's older
      brother Andy BRINSKA came to Chicago from Jablonka, Slovakia in the late
      1890's. Once settled, he arranged for Mary to join him. She joined him
      in 1903. John met and married Mary in 1904 in the Slovak community on
      the South side of Chicago, around 18th and Cornell. In 1910 they lived
      at 1110 Front Street. They had three boarders in their apartment:
      Stephen Jancjyk (31 yrs old), Anthony Bujy (34 yrs old), and Mateusz
      Garoura (43 yrs old). Anthony and Mateusz were married, but their wives
      were still in the "old country". On February 6, 1917 he was naturalized
      at age of 34. At that time they had 6 children: John, Martin, Steve,
      Mildred(Milca), William, and Louis. By then they had moved to the
      "Tolleston" section of Gary, Indiana. Subsequently they had 2 more
      children: Samuel and Julia. He died Aug 18, 1936. She died Sept 1,
      1953.

      John was the son of:
      Martin VICIAN (WICIJAN) b abt 1858 in Breszova pod Bradlom and
      Julia (GAVORA) VICIAN b abt 1858 in Breszova pod Bradlom
      One of my uncles believes Julia's maiden name is spelled GAVURA. Martin
      died of a ruptured appendix. Julia lived 70 years in Breszova,
      Slovakia. They had 4 children: Julia, Betty, Martin, and John. I have
      no dates except John's. Julia remained in Europe all her life. Betty
      died at the age of 10. Martin died in his late teens, while serving in
      the Austrian-Hungarian army.

      Mary was the daughter of:
      ?? BRINSKA and
      (I believe) ?? JANCI (My mother had "cousins" named JANCI)
      I only know she had an older brother Andy who brought her to the US.

      I have not yet made contact in Breszovz pod Bradlom and I do not know if
      there are church or official records available. I believe Martin and
      John were Lutheran.

      Thanks,
      Steve Botnovcan
      1 Round Hill Court
      Flemington, NJ 08822
      (908)788-0663
    • John Matsko
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 1999
        At 08:28 PM 6/23/99 +0000, you wrote: >From: sabinov@... > >We have had
        quite a few new people subscribe to the list, we now number 39 >members. If you
        haven't done so already, please take a moment and send in >the surnames,
        locations and time ranges you are searching.

        Hello Maura,

        I'm researching the following:

        Surname Location
        MACZKO, MACKO, MATSKO - VYSNA POLIANKA, (SARIS)
        NIKLOVA [MIKULASOVA]
        (SARIS)
        TKAC - (same as above)
        VANCSIK, VANCIK, WANCIK - KRIZE (SARIS), OH
        DORIN - GERLACHOV (SARIS), PA,
        OH
        SEVCSIK, SEFCHICK - (same as above) + LIVOV
        KOVALIC - CIRC (SARIS), NY, PA, OH
        KVASNAK - (same as above)
        HAJDUK - KOSICE BELA , OH
        STARINSKY - PLAVNICA , Brooklyn NY, OH

        In terms of time ranges, post 1895 on most.

        John

        to >SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com > >Maura >SLOVAK-ROOTS listowner >
        href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/amazon1 ">Click Here</a> >