A short and interesting success story

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2007
      Last week I had a client from US here. They came in a size of a half of a
      platoon, 4 persons:-)
      What we knew positively was, that the GGmother was born in a village near
      Trnava.
      I previously researched the whole family in the archive, found the births of
      all siblings ( around 1880), marriage of parents and a lot more, but did not
      find the birth of this Maria. We knew whom she married while still here and
      that she had a baby in 1902, presumably born in the same village.
      So what we did;
      - first we went to the Mayor's office - not the same village as the village
      of birth( did not need any authorization, because a family member was with
      me) and found the birth of this baby all right.
      - second, we found the marriage of Maria with our Fabian, also in 1902. The
      hungarian marriage records told us the date when Maria was born and the
      names of her parents. To my big surprise, the date was correct and the names
      of the parents were also correct, only this Maria was in her birth record
      noted as Anna. Mistery solved. The whole family tree which I already had was
      now connected to our Maria and everything was fine.
      - someone said:" I am hungry. Let's go something to eat" . No, I was already
      in an irreversible search mode.The day was young, weather fine, so I said,
      let's go now to the home village and have a look at the cemetery. Remember,
      I had the names and births of all of the siblings of Maria around 1880.
      - we scanned the cemetery and wrote down all graves - names we found with
      that particular surname.
      - then I compared the names and dates found with the siblings and
      immediately found one that fit. It was Jozef. he was born in 1876 and we
      were lucky, that this was still written of the stone.
      - I went to the Mayor's office in that home village and asked, who is paying
      for this grave and got the name and address.
      - we went to that address and rang the bell. Noone opened the gate.
      - I asked a woman passing by about this woman I wanted to talk to and she
      said she probably did not hear the bell, but she has several daughters, one
      living here, one living there, just around the corner.
      - we went to one of them and I rang the bell. She came out and said " I am
      not buying anything.":-)
      - after I explained who I am and what is my mission she accepted and allowed
      us all to enter ( my half of the platoon was waiting in the car).
      - in couple of minutes the situation was clear and the lady remembered that
      a sister of her grandfather was in the States. Then the events were
      overtaking my capacity to percept. We were there for about two hours, took
      very many pictures inside and out and got a huge number of name additions to
      our family tree. Perfect relatives found!
      Hadn't I had the names of all the siblings with their dates, a connection
      would have not been found. And, of course, the surname of the lady was
      already " twice removed", because she was married and it was her mother, who
      was a daughter of our Jozef, brother of Maria. Meaning, we ended up with a
      surname we would have never been looking for.
      Whoever is planning a visit for the first time and speculating to find
      relatives, read, understand the logic and remember the above.
      If you want to get plugged to someone, you need to have the right socket.
      Vladimir

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2007
        Vladimir - thanks for a fascinating account - bet your
        clients were thrilled - you found the needle in the
        haystack - that was a really good tip to check out all
        the siblings -I really enjoyed reading about it all
        and how wonderful to find living family!

        helene

        ____________________________________________________________________________________Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7
      • konekta@nm.psg.sk
        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2007
          Dear Helene,
          What much too many are somehow not getting is that the relatives will be
          descendants of siblings of the person who emigrated or siblings of his /her
          parents.
          You've got to have this family structure before you go asking anyone.
          Repeating the name of grandfather makes very little sense, because he left
          and noone remembers him. But, some siblings may have stayed and their
          families are what you are looking for.
          From experience I also can say that the probability that a female sibling
          was left behind is very high, meaning, the surnames will be different.
          Vladimir

          _____