RE: [S-R] Question on village

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 19 , May 20, 2007
      Dear Robert,
      What you can get any time is paid help. Research for free is not so easy to
      obtain if at all.
      Vladimir

      _____

      Message 2 of 19 , May 20, 2007
        Dear Michael,
        Petras everywhere!
        If you are going to Kosice you can not research Cerova-Lieskove. You would
        have to make a stop in Bratislava and research the books in the archive,
        which would take you half a day at least.Asking a Petras has no sense. The
        events below were 200 years ago.
        best,
        Vladimir

        _____

        I have a "knee cousin" in Kocise, Milos Petras, his mother's family is our
        connection. I don't know anything about his father's genealogy. In nine days
        I am going to Slovakia for a month. I plan to visit Milos. I can inquire
        about the Petras family for you. Milos is a highly regarded plastic surgeon.
        Michael Mojher

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
        yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.skDate>
        skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
        village

        There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
        -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
        yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
        PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.comSubject>
        yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
        and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
        tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
        wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
        information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
        trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom:
        sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
        2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
        local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
        well for those of you
        waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
        SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl
        Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
        LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
        which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
        a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
        >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
        thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
        something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
        films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
        my >films!> Ca! rl> _
        removed]

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 19 , May 21, 2007
          Vladimir,
          I was trying to see if Robert is interested in making contact with living relatives.
          From experience, most Slovak's genealogical memory is very short. They rarely know the names of relatives they have not meet.
          Michael

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
          yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.skDate>
          skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
          village

          There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
          -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
          yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
          PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.comSubject>
          yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
          and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
          tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
          wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
          information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
          trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom:
          sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
          2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
          local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
          well for those of you
          waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
          SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl
          Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
          LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
          which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
          a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
          >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
          thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
          something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
          films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
          my >films!> Ca! rl> _
          removed]

        • jenna-m
          Message 4 of 19 , May 21, 2007
            Hello Michael,

            I am thinking of going to Slovakia next year. Interested in going many places but particularly want to make it to the village of Siroke in the Presov region. I just came back from a week in the Czech Republic where I saw postings about taking the train from Prague to Slovakia either south to Bratislava or north by way of Zilina. I am not sure if you can post about such things on this site, so feel free to email me about your travel plans off-list. I would love to hear about coordinating particulars in Slovakia.

            Also, what is a "knee cousin"?

            Jenna

            Message 5 of 19 , May 21, 2007
              Hi Jenna:

              My great grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in VITAZ, which is part of the
              SIROKE parish along with the adjacent villages of OVCIE and DOLINA. The names
              below are in my direct lineage but there are a lot more names which are part of
              my extended family that are not listed. I'm quite familiar with the SIROKE
              parish records. Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
              (mailto:David1Law@...)

              Best regards,

              David

              Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
              DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
              SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
              DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
              (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
              HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
              TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
              WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

              Message 6 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                Dear Michael,
                Yes, all right.
                I was still thinking of how to make my point clear enough to those who are
                looking for relatives.
                The other day I was in the Levoca archive, and there, again, was a group of
                loud americans.
                Mother was trying to understand the church records and the proud father was
                talking to their interpreter like:" I really dont care about the family way
                back. I just want to go there to see if there are any related persons with
                my surname."
                This is very very typical and also very very wrong. Because he was so
                "proud" I just let him be so proud.
                The usual question people ask locals is :" My grandfather was this and that
                and I wonder if we are related." You can bet, noone knows that. You must be
                very very lucky to get a positive answer.
                A much better question would be:" Was your grandfather a brother of my
                grandfather?" But too bad, they don't know that either.
                If it was a great grand father, then it is of course even worse.
                What people know is their grandparents ( not even that always) and their
                uncles and aunts. But they do not know siblings of their grandparents, i.e.
                your grandfather or mother.
                Vladimir

                _____

                I was trying to see if Robert is interested in making contact with living
                relatives.
                From experience, most Slovak's genealogical memory is very short. They
                rarely know the names of relatives they have not meet.
                Michael

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>

              • lkocik@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                  Jenna
                  Hi,...
                  On your question about "knee cousins", I'd think it refers to "nee". Nee would designate a womans' maiden name.
                  Larry

                  From: jenna-m <broni03@...>
                  Hello Michael,

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                    In a message dated 5/22/2007 3:51:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    konekta@... writes:

                    What people know is their grandparents ( not even that always) and their
                    uncles and aunts. But they do not know siblings of their grandparents, i.e.
                    your grandfather or mother.
                    Vladimir

                    Ah, Vladimir, that is so true, even of families in the USA. A century ago my
                    grandfather and his brother emigrated from Slovakia and raised their
                    families in the same small Pennsylvania town. Over time both families went their
                    separate ways, and until two years ago the present-day descendents of one
                    brother knew literally nothing of the descendents of the other. An example of how
                    families can drift apart.

                    Gene Klodzen

                  • jenna-m
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                      Hi Larry,
                      Thanks for your response! Do you have an example of what you mean? For example, Michael Mojher posted about his "knee cousin" a fellow by the name of "Milos." Would this be a cousin on the "mother's" side of the family?
                      Jenna

                      From: jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
                      Hello Michael,

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                        Just to add to the confusion, I had a Slovak cousin refer to someone
                        as "cousin of the second knee" or some such. Our language connection
                        was not so strong that I could ask at that time. I will post on
                        Slovak-World and come back with the response.

                        Ron

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                          Jenna
                          Yes, a cousin on your mothers' side. I think when people spell it knee they are using phonetics. That's a perfect example of why we have so many variations in the way surnames are spelled. At least in my case...being that my ancestors were illiterate in English.
                          Larry
                          lkocik@...
                          p.s. I have a neice named Jenna...it's my second favorite name.

                          From: jenna-m <broni03@...>
                          Hi Larry,

                          From: jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
                          Hello Michael,

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                            michael:
                            my grandfather (the Mayor)?,John Petras married to Anna Oravec.on my great grandmothers side i have traced to her brother sylvester holaska"s daughter living in cerova who did not know of family history beyond John and anna.my father visited cerova and talked to her. My Great grandfathers 11 children were named Joseph, Martin & Michal (twins), John, Anne & Rosalia (twins), Elizabeth, and 4 other children died at birth. We believe they both were born and raised in cerova ? Married there ? Rested in peace there ? If you can find any information from your uncle Milos Petras it will be appreciated.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 15, 2007
                              michael
                              Did you go ? hiw was trip? did you talk to uncle Milos? would like to hear from you.
                              Thanks

                              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom>

                              [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>
                              wonders of the worldhttp:// <worldhttp:// search.> search.<http://search.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 17, 2007
                                dear vladimir
                                what can i get and what will it cost? How do i start or contact?

                                Thank you
                                Robert Petras

                                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom>
                                yahoogroups. comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta% 40nm.psg. skDate>
                                skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
                                village

                                There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
                                -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir _____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                                <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
                                [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>
                                yahoogroups. com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
                                PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak- roots%40yahoogro ups.comSubject>
                                yahoogroups. comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
                                and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
                                tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
                                wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
                                information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
                                trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                                <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom> yahoogroups. comFrom:
                                sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27% 40comcast. netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
                                2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
                                local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
                                well for those of you
                                waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
                                SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com, "Carl
                                Kotlarchik"< kkotlarc@ ...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
                                LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
                                which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
                                a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
                                >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
                                thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
                                something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
                                films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
                                my >films!> Ca! rl> _
                                ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ Explore the seven
                                wonders of the worldhttp:// <worldhttp:// search.> search.<http://search.
                                <http://search. msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE>
                                msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE> msn.com/results. a
                                spx?q=7+wonders+ world&mkt= en-US&form= QBRE[Non- text portions of
                                this message have been removed][Non- text portions of this message have been
                                removed]

                                Explore the seven wonders of the world
                                http://search.
                                <http://search. msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE>
                                msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE

                              • johnqadam
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 18, 2007
                                  >>> what can i get and what will it cost? How do i start or contact? <<<

                                  Let's be clear that a pro genealogist charges for TIME and not OUTPUT.
                                  You pay for research time and what you get depends on what is found.
                                  That might well depend on the initial information that you are able to
                                  provide. If nothing (or not much) is found, you still are expected to
                                  PAY.

                                  When I hired a researcher to drive from Kosice, Slovakia, to
                                  Satoraljaujhely, Hungary, to check a particular 20-year period of
                                  church records, the clock started when he left home in his car. The
                                  charge was for TIME and MILEAGE.

                                  Such research does not come with guarantees. Deal with it.