RE: [S-R] Question on village

  • robert petras
    Message 1 of 19 , May 20, 2007
      My great grandfather John Petras was supposed to be mayor of Cerova-Lieskove in the 1800's? He died in 1906 at the age of 92. Was married to Anna Oravec and had 11 children there of which there were two sets of twins. I have been trying to verify this and other informatiom on his children. Any help in this matter is very much appreciated.

      David Decker <maze_r@...> wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul Benjak are from Lieskove.
      I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko. Thanks again.

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@...: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on village

      There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51 PMTo: slovak-roots@yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom: sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May 2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes well for those of you
      waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They > thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or > something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need my >films!> Ca! rl> _ _________________________________________________________Explore the seven wonders of the worldhttp://search.<http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=7+wonders+world&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE>msn.com/results.aspx?q=7+wonders+world&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE[Non-text portions of
      this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 19 , May 20, 2007
        Robert,
        I have a "knee cousin" in Kocise, Milos Petras, his mother's family is our connection. I don't know anything about his father's genealogy. In nine days I am going to Slovakia for a month. I plan to visit Milos. I can inquire about the Petras family for you. Milos is a highly regarded plastic surgeon.
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 19 , May 20, 2007
          Dear Robert,
          What you can get any time is paid help. Research for free is not so easy to
          obtain if at all.
          Vladimir

          _____

          David Decker <maze_r@hotmail. <mailto:maze_r%40hotmail.com> com> wrote: I
          think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul
          Benjak are from Lieskove.
          I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko.
          Thanks again.

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
          yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.skDate>
          skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
          village

          PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.comSubject>
          yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
          and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
          tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
          wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
          information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
          trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
          <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom:
          sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
          2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
          local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
          well for those of you
          waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
          SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl
          Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
          LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
          which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
          a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
          >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
          thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
          something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
          films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
          my >films!> Ca! rl> _
          removed]

        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
          Message 4 of 19 , May 20, 2007
            Dear Michael,
            Petras everywhere!
            If you are going to Kosice you can not research Cerova-Lieskove. You would
            have to make a stop in Bratislava and research the books in the archive,
            which would take you half a day at least.Asking a Petras has no sense. The
            events below were 200 years ago.
            best,
            Vladimir

            _____

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>

            Message 5 of 19 , May 21, 2007
              Vladimir,
              I was trying to see if Robert is interested in making contact with living relatives.
              From experience, most Slovak's genealogical memory is very short. They rarely know the names of relatives they have not meet.
              Michael

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
              yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.skDate>
              skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
              village

              There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
              -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
              yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
              PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.comSubject>
              yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
              and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
              tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
              wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
              information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
              trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom:
              sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
              2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
              local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
              well for those of you
              waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
              SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl
              Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
              LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
              which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
              a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
              >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
              thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
              something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
              films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
              my >films!> Ca! rl> _
              removed]

            • jenna-m
              Message 6 of 19 , May 21, 2007
                Hello Michael,

                I am thinking of going to Slovakia next year. Interested in going many places but particularly want to make it to the village of Siroke in the Presov region. I just came back from a week in the Czech Republic where I saw postings about taking the train from Prague to Slovakia either south to Bratislava or north by way of Zilina. I am not sure if you can post about such things on this site, so feel free to email me about your travel plans off-list. I would love to hear about coordinating particulars in Slovakia.

                Also, what is a "knee cousin"?

                Jenna

                I have a "knee cousin" in Kocise, Milos Petras, his mother's family is our connection. I don't know anything about his father's genealogy. In nine days I am going to Slovakia for a month. I plan to visit Milos. I can inquire about the Petras family for you. Milos is a highly regarded plastic surgeon.
                Michael Mojher
                My great grandfather John Petras was supposed to be mayor of Cerova-Lieskove in the 1800's? He died in 1906 at the age of 92. Was married to Anna Oravec and had 11 children there of which there were two sets of twins. I have been trying to verify this and other informatiom on his children. Any help in this matter is very much appreciated.

                David Decker <maze_r@hotmail. com> wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul Benjak are from Lieskove.
                I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko. Thanks again.

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. comFrom: konekta@.... skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on village

                ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

              • david1law@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , May 21, 2007
                  Hi Jenna:

                  My great grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in VITAZ, which is part of the
                  SIROKE parish along with the adjacent villages of OVCIE and DOLINA. The names
                  below are in my direct lineage but there are a lot more names which are part of
                  my extended family that are not listed. I'm quite familiar with the SIROKE
                  parish records. Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
                  (mailto:David1Law@...)

                  Best regards,

                  David

                  Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                  DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                  SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                  DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
                  (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
                  HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
                  TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
                  WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                    Dear Michael,
                    Yes, all right.
                    I was still thinking of how to make my point clear enough to those who are
                    looking for relatives.
                    The other day I was in the Levoca archive, and there, again, was a group of
                    loud americans.
                    Mother was trying to understand the church records and the proud father was
                    talking to their interpreter like:" I really dont care about the family way
                    back. I just want to go there to see if there are any related persons with
                    my surname."
                    This is very very typical and also very very wrong. Because he was so
                    "proud" I just let him be so proud.
                    The usual question people ask locals is :" My grandfather was this and that
                    and I wonder if we are related." You can bet, noone knows that. You must be
                    very very lucky to get a positive answer.
                    A much better question would be:" Was your grandfather a brother of my
                    grandfather?" But too bad, they don't know that either.
                    If it was a great grand father, then it is of course even worse.
                    What people know is their grandparents ( not even that always) and their
                    uncles and aunts. But they do not know siblings of their grandparents, i.e.
                    your grandfather or mother.
                    Vladimir

                    _____

                    I was trying to see if Robert is interested in making contact with living
                    relatives.
                    From experience, most Slovak's genealogical memory is very short. They
                    rarely know the names of relatives they have not meet.
                    Michael

                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>

                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                      Jenna
                      Hi,...
                      On your question about "knee cousins", I'd think it refers to "nee". Nee would designate a womans' maiden name.
                      Larry

                      From: jenna-m <broni03@...>
                      Hello Michael,

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                        In a message dated 5/22/2007 3:51:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        konekta@... writes:

                        What people know is their grandparents ( not even that always) and their
                        uncles and aunts. But they do not know siblings of their grandparents, i.e.
                        your grandfather or mother.
                        Vladimir

                        Ah, Vladimir, that is so true, even of families in the USA. A century ago my
                        grandfather and his brother emigrated from Slovakia and raised their
                        families in the same small Pennsylvania town. Over time both families went their
                        separate ways, and until two years ago the present-day descendents of one
                        brother knew literally nothing of the descendents of the other. An example of how
                        families can drift apart.

                        Gene Klodzen

                      • jenna-m
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                          Hi Larry,
                          Thanks for your response! Do you have an example of what you mean? For example, Michael Mojher posted about his "knee cousin" a fellow by the name of "Milos." Would this be a cousin on the "mother's" side of the family?
                          Jenna

                          From: jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
                          Hello Michael,

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                            Just to add to the confusion, I had a Slovak cousin refer to someone
                            as "cousin of the second knee" or some such. Our language connection
                            was not so strong that I could ask at that time. I will post on
                            Slovak-World and come back with the response.

                            Ron

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                              Jenna
                              Yes, a cousin on your mothers' side. I think when people spell it knee they are using phonetics. That's a perfect example of why we have so many variations in the way surnames are spelled. At least in my case...being that my ancestors were illiterate in English.
                              Larry
                              lkocik@...
                              p.s. I have a neice named Jenna...it's my second favorite name.

                              From: jenna-m <broni03@...>
                              Hi Larry,

                              From: jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
                              Hello Michael,

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                                michael:
                                my grandfather (the Mayor)?,John Petras married to Anna Oravec.on my great grandmothers side i have traced to her brother sylvester holaska"s daughter living in cerova who did not know of family history beyond John and anna.my father visited cerova and talked to her. My Great grandfathers 11 children were named Joseph, Martin & Michal (twins), John, Anne & Rosalia (twins), Elizabeth, and 4 other children died at birth. We believe they both were born and raised in cerova ? Married there ? Rested in peace there ? If you can find any information from your uncle Milos Petras it will be appreciated.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 15, 2007
                                  michael
                                  Did you go ? hiw was trip? did you talk to uncle Milos? would like to hear from you.
                                  Thanks

                                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom>

                                  [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>
                                  wonders of the worldhttp:// <worldhttp:// search.> search.<http://search.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 17, 2007
                                    dear vladimir
                                    what can i get and what will it cost? How do i start or contact?

                                    Thank you
                                    Robert Petras

                                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom>
                                    yahoogroups. comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta% 40nm.psg. skDate>
                                    skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
                                    village

                                    There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
                                    -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir _____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                                    <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
                                    [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>
                                    yahoogroups. com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
                                    PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak- roots%40yahoogro ups.comSubject>
                                    yahoogroups. comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
                                    and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
                                    tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
                                    wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
                                    information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
                                    trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                                    <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom> yahoogroups. comFrom:
                                    sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27% 40comcast. netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
                                    2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
                                    local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
                                    well for those of you
                                    waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
                                    SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com, "Carl
                                    Kotlarchik"< kkotlarc@ ...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
                                    LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
                                    which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
                                    a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
                                    >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
                                    thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
                                    something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
                                    films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
                                    my >films!> Ca! rl> _
                                    ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ Explore the seven
                                    wonders of the worldhttp:// <worldhttp:// search.> search.<http://search.
                                    <http://search. msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE>
                                    msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE> msn.com/results. a
                                    spx?q=7+wonders+ world&mkt= en-US&form= QBRE[Non- text portions of
                                    this message have been removed][Non- text portions of this message have been
                                    removed]

                                    Explore the seven wonders of the world
                                    http://search.
                                    <http://search. msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE>
                                    msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE

                                  • johnqadam
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 18, 2007
                                      >>> what can i get and what will it cost? How do i start or contact? <<<

                                      Let's be clear that a pro genealogist charges for TIME and not OUTPUT.
                                      You pay for research time and what you get depends on what is found.
                                      That might well depend on the initial information that you are able to
                                      provide. If nothing (or not much) is found, you still are expected to
                                      PAY.

                                      When I hired a researcher to drive from Kosice, Slovakia, to
                                      Satoraljaujhely, Hungary, to check a particular 20-year period of
                                      church records, the clock started when he left home in his car. The
                                      charge was for TIME and MILEAGE.

                                      Such research does not come with guarantees. Deal with it.