RE: [S-R] Question on village

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 19 , May 20, 2007
      I think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul Benjak are from Lieskove.
      I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko. Thanks again.

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@...: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on village

      There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51 PMTo: slovak-roots@yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom: sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May 2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes well for those of you waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They > thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or > something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need my >films!> Carl> __________________________________________________________Explore the seven wonders of the worldhttp://search.<http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=7+wonders+world&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE>msn.com/results.aspx?q=7+wonders+world&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • robert petras
      Message 2 of 19 , May 20, 2007
        My great grandfather John Petras was supposed to be mayor of Cerova-Lieskove in the 1800's? He died in 1906 at the age of 92. Was married to Anna Oravec and had 11 children there of which there were two sets of twins. I have been trying to verify this and other informatiom on his children. Any help in this matter is very much appreciated.

        David Decker <maze_r@...> wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul Benjak are from Lieskove.
        I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko. Thanks again.

        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@...: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on village

[...]

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 19 , May 20, 2007
          Robert,
          I have a "knee cousin" in Kocise, Milos Petras, his mother's family is our connection. I don't know anything about his father's genealogy. In nine days I am going to Slovakia for a month. I plan to visit Milos. I can inquire about the Petras family for you. Milos is a highly regarded plastic surgeon.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 19 , May 20, 2007
            Dear Robert,
            What you can get any time is paid help. Research for free is not so easy to
            obtain if at all.
            Vladimir

            _____

            David Decker <maze_r@hotmail. <mailto:maze_r%40hotmail.com> com> wrote: I
            think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul
            Benjak are from Lieskove.
            I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko.
            Thanks again.

            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
            yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.skDate>
            skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
            village

            PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.comSubject>
            yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
            and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
            tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
            wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
            information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
            trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom:
            sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
            2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
            local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
            well for those of you
            waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
            SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl
            Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
            LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
            which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
            a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
            >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
            thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
            something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
            films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
            my >films!> Ca! rl> _
            removed]

          • konekta@nm.psg.sk
            Message 5 of 19 , May 20, 2007
              Dear Michael,
              Petras everywhere!
              If you are going to Kosice you can not research Cerova-Lieskove. You would
              have to make a stop in Bratislava and research the books in the archive,
              which would take you half a day at least.Asking a Petras has no sense. The
              events below were 200 years ago.
              best,
              Vladimir

              _____

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>

              Message 6 of 19 , May 21, 2007
                Vladimir,
                I was trying to see if Robert is interested in making contact with living relatives.
                From experience, most Slovak's genealogical memory is very short. They rarely know the names of relatives they have not meet.
                Michael

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
                yahoogroups.comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.skDate>
                skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
                village

                There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
                -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir_____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                yahoogroups.com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
                PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak-roots%40yahoogroups.comSubject>
                yahoogroups.comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
                and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
                tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
                wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
                information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
                trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>yahoogroups.comFrom:
                sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27%40comcast.netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
                2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
                local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
                well for those of you
                waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
                SLOVAK-ROOTS@<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Carl
                Kotlarchik"<kkotlarc@...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
                LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
                which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
                a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
                >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
                thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
                something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
                films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
                my >films!> Ca! rl> _
                removed]

              • jenna-m
                Message 7 of 19 , May 21, 2007
                  Hello Michael,

                  I am thinking of going to Slovakia next year. Interested in going many places but particularly want to make it to the village of Siroke in the Presov region. I just came back from a week in the Czech Republic where I saw postings about taking the train from Prague to Slovakia either south to Bratislava or north by way of Zilina. I am not sure if you can post about such things on this site, so feel free to email me about your travel plans off-list. I would love to hear about coordinating particulars in Slovakia.

                  Also, what is a "knee cousin"?

                  Jenna

                  I have a "knee cousin" in Kocise, Milos Petras, his mother's family is our connection. I don't know anything about his father's genealogy. In nine days I am going to Slovakia for a month. I plan to visit Milos. I can inquire about the Petras family for you. Milos is a highly regarded plastic surgeon.
                  Michael Mojher
                  My great grandfather John Petras was supposed to be mayor of Cerova-Lieskove in the 1800's? He died in 1906 at the age of 92. Was married to Anna Oravec and had 11 children there of which there were two sets of twins. I have been trying to verify this and other informatiom on his children. Any help in this matter is very much appreciated.

                  David Decker <maze_r@hotmail. com> wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head there, because Maria Lisciski and Paul Benjak are from Lieskove.
                  I already had that figured out just found that new reference to Korlatko. Thanks again.

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ yahoogroups. comFrom: konekta@.... skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on village

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 21, 2007
                    Hi Jenna:

                    My great grandfather JAN BALOGA was born in VITAZ, which is part of the
                    SIROKE parish along with the adjacent villages of OVCIE and DOLINA. The names
                    below are in my direct lineage but there are a lot more names which are part of
                    my extended family that are not listed. I'm quite familiar with the SIROKE
                    parish records. Please feel free to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
                    (mailto:David1Law@...)

                    Best regards,

                    David

                    Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of
                    DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA,
                    SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of
                    DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA
                    (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR,
                    HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY,
                    TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL,
                    WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                      Dear Michael,
                      Yes, all right.
                      I was still thinking of how to make my point clear enough to those who are
                      looking for relatives.
                      The other day I was in the Levoca archive, and there, again, was a group of
                      loud americans.
                      Mother was trying to understand the church records and the proud father was
                      talking to their interpreter like:" I really dont care about the family way
                      back. I just want to go there to see if there are any related persons with
                      my surname."
                      This is very very typical and also very very wrong. Because he was so
                      "proud" I just let him be so proud.
                      The usual question people ask locals is :" My grandfather was this and that
                      and I wonder if we are related." You can bet, noone knows that. You must be
                      very very lucky to get a positive answer.
                      A much better question would be:" Was your grandfather a brother of my
                      grandfather?" But too bad, they don't know that either.
                      If it was a great grand father, then it is of course even worse.
                      What people know is their grandparents ( not even that always) and their
                      uncles and aunts. But they do not know siblings of their grandparents, i.e.
                      your grandfather or mother.
                      Vladimir

                      _____

                      I was trying to see if Robert is interested in making contact with living
                      relatives.
                      From experience, most Slovak's genealogical memory is very short. They
                      rarely know the names of relatives they have not meet.
                      Michael

                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.comFrom>

                    • lkocik@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                        Jenna
                        Hi,...
                        On your question about "knee cousins", I'd think it refers to "nee". Nee would designate a womans' maiden name.
                        Larry

                        From: jenna-m <broni03@...>
                        Hello Michael,

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                          In a message dated 5/22/2007 3:51:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          konekta@... writes:

                          What people know is their grandparents ( not even that always) and their
                          uncles and aunts. But they do not know siblings of their grandparents, i.e.
                          your grandfather or mother.
                          Vladimir

                          Ah, Vladimir, that is so true, even of families in the USA. A century ago my
                          grandfather and his brother emigrated from Slovakia and raised their
                          families in the same small Pennsylvania town. Over time both families went their
                          separate ways, and until two years ago the present-day descendents of one
                          brother knew literally nothing of the descendents of the other. An example of how
                          families can drift apart.

                          Gene Klodzen

                        • jenna-m
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                            Hi Larry,
                            Thanks for your response! Do you have an example of what you mean? For example, Michael Mojher posted about his "knee cousin" a fellow by the name of "Milos." Would this be a cousin on the "mother's" side of the family?
                            Jenna

                            From: jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
                            Hello Michael,

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                              Just to add to the confusion, I had a Slovak cousin refer to someone
                              as "cousin of the second knee" or some such. Our language connection
                              was not so strong that I could ask at that time. I will post on
                              Slovak-World and come back with the response.

                              Ron

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                                Jenna
                                Yes, a cousin on your mothers' side. I think when people spell it knee they are using phonetics. That's a perfect example of why we have so many variations in the way surnames are spelled. At least in my case...being that my ancestors were illiterate in English.
                                Larry
                                lkocik@...
                                p.s. I have a neice named Jenna...it's my second favorite name.

                                From: jenna-m <broni03@...>
                                Hi Larry,

                                From: jenna-m <broni03@yahoo. com>
                                Hello Michael,

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 22, 2007
                                  michael:
                                  my grandfather (the Mayor)?,John Petras married to Anna Oravec.on my great grandmothers side i have traced to her brother sylvester holaska"s daughter living in cerova who did not know of family history beyond John and anna.my father visited cerova and talked to her. My Great grandfathers 11 children were named Joseph, Martin & Michal (twins), John, Anne & Rosalia (twins), Elizabeth, and 4 other children died at birth. We believe they both were born and raised in cerova ? Married there ? Rested in peace there ? If you can find any information from your uncle Milos Petras it will be appreciated.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 15, 2007
                                    michael
                                    Did you go ? hiw was trip? did you talk to uncle Milos? would like to hear from you.
                                    Thanks

                                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom>

                                    [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>
                                    wonders of the worldhttp:// <worldhttp:// search.> search.<http://search.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 17, 2007
                                      dear vladimir
                                      what can i get and what will it cost? How do i start or contact?

                                      Thank you
                                      Robert Petras

                                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom>
                                      yahoogroups. comFrom: konekta@.... <mailto:konekta% 40nm.psg. skDate>
                                      skDate: Sun, 20 May 2007 20:25:05 +0200Subject: RE: [S-R] Question on
                                      village

                                      There were also other Benjaks coming from Korlatko, which is now Cerova
                                      -Lieskove. about 50 km North of Bratislava.Vladimir _____ From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                                      <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com
                                      [mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com>
                                      yahoogroups. com] OnBehalf Of David DeckerSent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:51
                                      PMTo: slovak-roots@ <mailto:slovak- roots%40yahoogro ups.comSubject>
                                      yahoogroups. comSubject: [S-R] Question on villageI was doing some looking
                                      and found a relative :)but it says he is from Torlalks or Korlatks, HungrayI
                                      tried google as a first resort but came up short.At least it listed his
                                      wife's name in the passenger listing.Name was Janos Benjak.Thanks for any
                                      information. Its an offshoot of the main benjak line that Iam trying to
                                      trace.David To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                                      <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.comFrom> yahoogroups. comFrom:
                                      sparky27@comcast. <mailto:sparky27% 40comcast. netDate>netDate: Thu, 3 May
                                      2007 22:09:30 +0000Subject: [S-R] Re: LDS back-logI just got a call from my
                                      local FHC that one of the films I ordered in midApril is in! Hope this bodes
                                      well for those of you
                                      waiting forfilms.Stephanie B.--- In
                                      SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK- ROOTS%40yahoogro ups.com> yahoogroups. com, "Carl
                                      Kotlarchik"< kkotlarc@ ...> wrote:>> Does anyone know why the films from the
                                      LDS are soback-logged? I > currently have 5 films on back order, several of
                                      which areover 10 > weeks old. Normally, it just takes 2 to 4 weeks to obtain
                                      a filmso > something must be really wrong. I did ask about it at the Family
                                      >History Center but they didn't seem to know what was wrong. They >
                                      thoughtthere might be a problem in making copies from the vaults or >
                                      something.Anyway, I'm curious if others are having a problem > obtaining
                                      films. > >This really proves what an addict I've become doesn't it. I need
                                      my >films!> Ca! rl> _
                                      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ Explore the seven
                                      wonders of the worldhttp:// <worldhttp:// search.> search.<http://search.
                                      <http://search. msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE>
                                      msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE> msn.com/results. a
                                      spx?q=7+wonders+ world&mkt= en-US&form= QBRE[Non- text portions of
                                      this message have been removed][Non- text portions of this message have been
                                      removed]

                                      Explore the seven wonders of the world
                                      http://search.
                                      <http://search. msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE>
                                      msn.com/results. aspx?q=7+ wonders+world& mkt=en-US& form=QBRE

                                    • johnqadam
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 18, 2007
                                        >>> what can i get and what will it cost? How do i start or contact? <<<

                                        Let's be clear that a pro genealogist charges for TIME and not OUTPUT.
                                        You pay for research time and what you get depends on what is found.
                                        That might well depend on the initial information that you are able to
                                        provide. If nothing (or not much) is found, you still are expected to
                                        PAY.

                                        When I hired a researcher to drive from Kosice, Slovakia, to
                                        Satoraljaujhely, Hungary, to check a particular 20-year period of
                                        church records, the clock started when he left home in his car. The
                                        charge was for TIME and MILEAGE.

                                        Such research does not come with guarantees. Deal with it.