Re: Ottoman Empire Original Question

  • fernbrough
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2007
      Thanks Mike I ordered the book.

      Bob S.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
      wrote:

      > On the question of what part of Slovakia the Ottoman Empire had
      control. From the Slovak History: Chronology and Lexicon.
      > Turkish Administration; page 322:
      > "- from the 1540's to the mid 1680's part of southern and
      central Slovaks was under Turkish rule. ... they maintained very
      precise tax registers, deftera. In times of peace the
      representatives of the Turk's administration did not directly or
      significantly intervene in local self-administrations or in the
      religion of the 'unbelievers' (that is , the Christians)."
      > Sandjak (or liva); page 297:
      > " - a district of the Turkish imperial administration. ... The
      first sandjak to encroach upon Slovakia was the Esztergom sandjak,
      which was formed in 1545 - 1546. According to a deftera (tax
      register) from 1570, more than 420 Slovak communities and villages
      belonged to it. Among the other sandjaks incorporating some of the
      territory of Slovakia prior to the so-called Fifteen Years' War
      (1593 - 1606) were the Novohrad, Secany and especially the Fil'akovo
      sandjak (1554 - 1593), to which belonged a greater part Gemer, Hont
      and Hovohrad counties. When the Turks conquered Nove Zamky (1663),
      they established three other sandjaks within the Nove Zamky ejalet,
      Nitra, Levice and Novohrad."
      > 1663; page 69:
      > " 12 April - Grand Vizier Koprulu Mehmed, the pasha of Edirne,
      advanced into Hungary with an army of 120,000 soldiers. After
      arriving in Buda (15 June), he decided on the conquest of Nove
      Zamky. On 7 August the advanced guard of the Ottoman army
      unexpectedly defeated, near Parkan (Sturovo), detachments of the
      garrison of Nove Zamky led by A. Forgach. On 16 August the grand
      vizier besieged Nove Zamky, which was defended by 3,500 men."
      > " 2 September - The Crimean Tatars, Walachians, Moldavians and
      a part of the Turks devastated a substantial part of western
      Slovakia, the middle Povazie region and Moravia."

      > It would appear that the Turks did not control any northern or
      eastern Slovak territory.
      > For those who are searching for in the lands the Turks did
      control it would appear that their deftera, tax registers, could be
      a good source to look into.
      > Michael Mojher

    • Jennifer Keith
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2007
        Just a thought...I found maps on ebay, for next to nothing, dating from 1912, 1939, 1945, 1956, 1989 and 1991. It's really easy to see where the borders moved and how that affected our ancestors. The town where my great-grandmother came from started out as Austrian and ran the gammet of ownership. It's a really good visual and I think the most expensive map was $2.25.
        Jennifer

        What the mind of man can conceive and believe, he can achieve.