Slovak events in Seattle & British Columbia in May

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2007
      If anyone would like more info - contact me directly -
      have a neat poster I can forward.

      helene

      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2007
        At least the poem dealt with immigrants and Ellis Island. I have no problem
        with that. Tom

        On 5/9/07, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

        > If Ignorance is Bliss, What Should Intellectuals Do? - Phil Dhingra
        > I've been warned that the intellectual's life is somewhat disheartening
        > because we know too much. We are too aware of the flaws in life that living
        > loses its idealistic magic.
        >
        > Since ignorance is indeed bliss, but willful ignorance is unheard of, what
        > is the intellectual to do?
        >
        > I suggest complete acceptance of the dirty truth. When our expectations of
        > life do not exceed its capacity, we will hopefully get the same comforts of
        > the person in fantasy-land.
        >
        > So, here are some admissions. Get ready to "suck it up" as they say:
        >
        > - Nobody will ever understand you completely.
        > - You can only speak for yourself.
        > - There will always be a major distortion between what you know, what you
        > will be able to communicate, and what people will then comprehend.

      • SCOTT SLOBODA
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2007
          Mike I think you "missed the boat" no pun intended. I came on here to learn and hear about the Slovak people and their experience. I don't need lectured by you about an intellectuals life or some guy's poetry let's keep the blog where it is intended Slovak genealogy and answering peoples questions when we can.

          Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote: At least the poem dealt with immigrants and Ellis Island. I have no problem