Re: [S-R] Poem

  • SCOTT SLOBODA
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2007
      You want to read poetry go down to a coffee house!

      matt_procter <matt_procter@...> wrote:
      It is the gift of sleep or the approach to sleep,

      to make component parts of place and consciousness

      meaningless and, as breathing slows down,

      to do what water does, announce a source in cadence,

      repetition, sound, allow a gradual dissolving of

      boundaries between the actual and evident and still,

      when all that is done, I know there never was

      a single place for me. I never lost enough to have one.

      I want to live where they refused to speak --

      those first emigrants who never said

      where they came from, what they left behind.

      Their country was a finger to the lips, a child's question stopped.

      And yet behind their eyes in eerie silence, was an island,

      if you looked for it: bronze-green perch in a mute river.

      Peat smoke rising from soundless kindling.

      Rain falling on leaves and iron, making no noise at all.

      --from Falling Asleep to the Sound of Rain
      by David Shapiro

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2007
        If Ignorance is Bliss, What Should Intellectuals Do? - Phil Dhingra
        I've been warned that the intellectual's life is somewhat disheartening because we know too much. We are too aware of the flaws in life that living loses its idealistic magic.

        Since ignorance is indeed bliss, but willful ignorance is unheard of, what is the intellectual to do?

        I suggest complete acceptance of the dirty truth. When our expectations of life do not exceed its capacity, we will hopefully get the same comforts of the person in fantasy-land.

        So, here are some admissions. Get ready to "suck it up" as they say:

        - Nobody will ever understand you completely.
        - You can only speak for yourself.
        - There will always be a major distortion between what you know, what you will be able to communicate, and what people will then comprehend.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2007
          If anyone would like more info - contact me directly -
          have a neat poster I can forward.

          helene

          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2007
            At least the poem dealt with immigrants and Ellis Island. I have no problem
            with that. Tom

            On 5/9/07, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

            > If Ignorance is Bliss, What Should Intellectuals Do? - Phil Dhingra
            > I've been warned that the intellectual's life is somewhat disheartening
            > because we know too much. We are too aware of the flaws in life that living
            > loses its idealistic magic.
            >
            > Since ignorance is indeed bliss, but willful ignorance is unheard of, what
            > is the intellectual to do?
            >
            > I suggest complete acceptance of the dirty truth. When our expectations of
            > life do not exceed its capacity, we will hopefully get the same comforts of
            > the person in fantasy-land.
            >
            > So, here are some admissions. Get ready to "suck it up" as they say:
            >
            > - Nobody will ever understand you completely.
            > - You can only speak for yourself.
            > - There will always be a major distortion between what you know, what you
            > will be able to communicate, and what people will then comprehend.

          • SCOTT SLOBODA
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2007
              Mike I think you "missed the boat" no pun intended. I came on here to learn and hear about the Slovak people and their experience. I don't need lectured by you about an intellectuals life or some guy's poetry let's keep the blog where it is intended Slovak genealogy and answering peoples questions when we can.

              Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote: At least the poem dealt with immigrants and Ellis Island. I have no problem