Re: [S-R] Extent of Ottoman Empire in Upper Hungary (Slovakia)

  • Paul Tomasko
    Message 1 of 24 , May 7 5:12 PM
      Hello everyone

      I have been following along with these postings finding it very interesting.
      In my family which comes from the village of Siba, County Saris, my
      fathers brother has a very distinctive Asian look to him. He really looks
      like the guy from the movie Karate Kid, (you know wax on, wax off) I do not
      have any proof or cement facts and just figured that when the Khan invaded
      they raped, and burned villages. Or there was always the chance my 5th or
      6th Great Grandmother really liked a big hulking Mongol and took him as a
      husband. My question is...Is this a trait that is seen often in families
      coming from North Eastern Slovakia?

      Thank you all

      Paul Tomasko

      searching surnames: Tomasko, Tomascin, Tomascsin, Tomastyik, Mackanin,
      Macskanyin, Homa

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , May 7 7:24 PM
        Hi Paul:

        It would be hard to tell, based upon looks alone, whether any bloodline
        traces back to an Asian ancestor, although it certainly possible. The city of
        PRESOV in SARIS county was a cross-roads to the north and south, as well as to
        the east and west, and over time, there were at least several Asian groups
        that may have influenced the genetics of the population, including the Mongols,
        the Cumans, and the Sarmatians. Interestingly, the Slavic name for the
        Cumans -- POLOVTSI means "pale" or "yellow" so that may also be a possibility. In
        addition, a Sarmatian tribe known as the IAZYGES (JASZ in Hungarian),
        another ethnic group from the Sea of Azov area in Asia, probably had the most
        profound interaction with the Slavs, and were a neighboring people as the word for
        "tongue" / "language" / "accent" in Slovak is JAZYK and derived from the
        name of the Sarmatian IAZGYES/JAZYGES.

        _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges)

        Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
        between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

        _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_
        (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians)

        I find the history of the territory of Slovakia and the various ethnic
        groups who influenced the region over the centuries to be quite fascinating. By
        the way, there was a great show on the History Channel's Digging for the Truth
        with Josh Bernstein regarding the Mongols and tracing some the DNA of some
        modern day Mongols back to Genghis Khan. I believe it was the episode "Lost
        World of Genghis Khan." You may be able to find some information about the
        show on the web if you do a GOOGLE search).

        Your surname -- TOMASKO -- also caught my attention. One of my great,
        great, great grandmothers is a SUSANNA TOMASOV. I have found the TOMASOV surname
        to be rather uncommon in Slovakia, and it has been mentioned to me from a
        very reliable source that there are other variations of the surname, one of
        which may be TOMASKO. (Helene, if you are reading this posting, please be so kind
        as to refresh my recollection as to other derivations of the TOMASOV
        surname. I believe you mentioned to me a long time ago that it may be something
        like TOMKO or TOMASKO). My TOMASOV clan is from the village of HRISOVCE in SPIS
        county, right on the border of SARIS. I do not know if there is any
        connection, but you never know.

        Best regards,

        David

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 24 , May 7 8:01 PM
          Paul,
          Slovakia is one of those 'cross-road' locations where migration paths over history have come through or near it. In an earlier reply I wrote of the Avars from Mongolia in 700's and 800's. In the 900's the Magyars came. Around 1050 the Pechenegs, who were allied with the Cumani were in the upper half of modern Slovakia. In the 1200's the Cumani/Kuns.
          Siba is in the traditional area of the Sub-Carpathian Rusyns. The potential to have any and all of these groups in our DNA is there.
          I submitted my DNA to the National Geographic Genographic project. My 12 marker analysis showed my DNA migration path left Africa, went through the Middle East, Central Asia, Northeast Europe and finally with major populations in France, Spain and the British Isles. The 12 marker analysis is good for my ancestors 10,000 years ago. By having more markers done I would get more specific and closer to me profile of my DNA. It would also narrow the pool of people that are related to me. With the 12 marker I have been sent a list of over 1000 people that have identical DNA profiles. Which means 10,000 years ago we shared a common ancestor. Talk about distant cousins!
          Michael

        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 10:04 PM
            Dear David,
            Hrisovce had 53 house numbers in 1869 Census.
            #25 was Alojz Tomasov
            I have a client, who also has ancestors from Hrisovce ( actually I am
            working on that right now).
            The whole village was heavily interrelated.
            Please, contact me off list.
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            _____

            _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges_>
            .org/wiki/Iazyges_ (http://en.wikipedia
            <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iazyges> .org/wiki/Iazyges)

            Indeed, according to Polish tradition and legend, there is a connection
            between the Sarmatians and Polish nobility.

            _http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarmatians_>
            .org/wiki/Sarmatians_

            Message 5 of 24 , May 8 1:07 AM
              Hi Vladimir:

              Thank you very much for the information regarding Hrisovce. I would
              definitely like to learn more about the potential contact. What is your e-mail
              address? Thank you again.

              Please

              Best regards,

              David

              Message 6 of 24 , May 8 2:03 PM
                Dear David,
                here I am
                Vladimir Bohinc
                Professional Genealogist
                KONEKTA s.r.o., Dukelska 11, 915 01 Nove Mesto n.V., Slovak Republic
                Tel/Fax; xx421 32 7710 375
                e-mail: konekta@...
                web page: www.konekta.sk <http://www.konekta.sk/>

                _____

                Message 7 of 24 , May 9 5:13 PM
                  Thanks to all for the really fascinating comments on
                  this topic - this is where our group shines - all that
                  wonderful knowledge and expertise and willingness to
                  share. Bravo!!!!

                  helene

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • david1law@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 17 8:48 AM
                    Dear Vladimir:

                    Thank you very much for putting me in touch with Stephen Zehala, whose
                    ancestors are also from the village of Hrisovce. He spoke very highly of your
                    genealogical work for him. You became their adopted family hero. It definitely
                    looks like we share common roots in the TOMASOV clan. You were also right
                    that I would recognize many of the other names connected with their family.
                    Thank you again, my friend.

                    Best regards,

                    David

                    Message 9 of 24 , May 17 6:56 PM
                      Hi Helene:

                      Thank you for the postings of the surnames and villages in the SLOVAK PRIDE
                      database. Your work helped me to connect to a third cousin of mine, ALENA
                      BALOGA, in the village of HRISOVCE, where my grandfather ANDREW BALOGA and my
                      great grandfather NICHOLAS BALOGA were born. ALENA is a descendant of my
                      great grandfather's brother MATHIAS BALOGA, and we are both descendants of my
                      great, great grandparents JAN BALOGA and SUSANNA TOMASOV. Thank you again for
                      all your work

                      Best regards,

                      David Michael Baloga